MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

in defense of tinnermans?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author in defense of tinnermans?
levelhead3
Just received my new SAModular case and had been quite happy to hear that the 203-style boats now had fixed screw mounts instead of the clunky tinnermans.

That happiness has turned to frustration however, as I've run into a problem with wider modules. The fixed screw mounting positions on the boats appear to include an assumed gap between each module space.

On the 3u 205 and especially the 5u 246 the mounting holes on the module are offset from the mounting holes on the boat. On the 205 it's just the middle mounting holes, but on the 246 pretty much none of them line up. very frustrating

If the old 203 tinnermans work the same as the old SKB 19" rack mounting clips then it seems they might be able to be adjusted slightly to accommodate. But no such luck with fixed mounting points.

I take it there is no other solution than to physically widen the existing module mounting holes? And if so, wondering what the safest method is on a completed module - drill press with metal bit, or round file, or ?
momo
Tinnermans suck. Yo want a round file. The problem is third party modules and inconsistent mounting positions and thus drilling during the panel manufacture. Verbos modules used to be the most infamous in this regard (e.g. the early 258v’s).

If you use a file, have a piece of mask underneath your filing to catch the filings.
levelhead3
carefully measured the panels in question and you're correct - the problem is not the case...
ArguZ
Tinnermans belong into your roof and not your modular wink
Making front panels without sliding holes is an oversight.
I never saw any Eurorack module that had just round holes as that always leads to problems.
So yeah, round file it is...takes 15 minutes and you will have perfectly sitting modules.

And whoever will make the next batch of front panels, please add 1mm sideways to each mounting hole.
mathomas
ArguZ wrote:
Tinnermans belong into your roof and not your modular wink
Making front panels without sliding holes is an oversight.
I never saw any Eurorack module that had just round holes as that always leads to problems.
So yeah, round file it is...takes 15 minutes and you will have perfectly sitting modules.

And whoever will make the next batch of front panels, please add 1mm sideways to each mounting hole.

Mutable Instruments uses round holes, as does Make Noise. I agree manufacturers should use oblong holes as a general principle, so just sayin’.
Reed
http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009/06/tinnermanned.html
tIB
I don't mind tinnermans - they have their uses.
ArguZ
mathomas wrote:

Mutable Instruments uses round holes, as does Make Noise. I agree manufacturers should use oblong holes as a general principle, so just sayin’.

You are comparing hamberders to sausages.
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
As long as there as no such thing as German precession in Buchla racks, people will need a feil wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1