MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg announces Minilogue XD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Korg announces Minilogue XD
Shrigg
Okay this looks amazing!

strangegravity
Nice! I love my minilogue. Looks like they added a x/y stick a multi engine VCO and some DSP FX. If it has the same price tag I'm in.
anselmi
sounds better and more interesting than the original! great move, korg!
Shrigg
strangegravity wrote:
Nice! I love my minilogue. Looks like they added a x/y stick a multi engine VCO and some DSP FX. If it has the same price tag I'm in.

It's $649 MSRP but Sweetwater and B&H are showing them for $619 preorder. Worth it methinks
tuttlerecall
Its great they ported the prologue DSP engine over. All the Mutable Plaits voices were recently done.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/prologue/sdk.php

Looks like you can program effects as well!
SteeVtheRipper
Obviously I haven’t played it yet, but I have played all the other synths in the line up. This to me is the perfect marriage of all them. For the price, size, sound, and feature set it’s a knock out no brainer for me. There is so much sound shaping potential here AND I can take it with me wherever I go. That may not matter to some but I have really wanted an “on the go” synth that I can take around town or on vacations. It doesn’t take up much space and if I need more keys I have plenty available around the studio. The OG ML is great but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on it. I loved the sound of the Mono, the micro tuning and that sequencer, but I wanted more voices. The Prologue has the voices, the new digital oscillator and better effects, but was more limited in modulation and lost some of the previous features that made the other two fun. This....yes....sold for me.

I think getting two wouldn’t be a bad idea. For less than a Prologue 8 you get 8 voice poly. If you can chain them great, if not with some simple keyboard splitting you can have the same sound across a controller. But pick different patches and you have bitimbrality, either split or layered with sequencing! Maybe not for everyone but could be fun.

FWIW I think this in the Prologue chassis with 16 voices, AT, a second resonant HP/Multimode filter, some more on panel modulation options, split and layer, and a mod matrix would be the perfect poly. For me at least.

I do prefer the drive dial to switch but with careful mixing it does the same thing.
synthpriest
Finally it includes the micro tuning feature derived from the monologue. w00t
strangegravity
$620 seems reasonable. I wonder if we'll see a slew of original Minilogues on FST. I'm keeping mine for ever.
jsco
shit, this is awesome. and this wipes away all the regrets i had about selling my old one.
tenembre
synthpriest wrote:
Finally it includes the micro tuning feature derived from the monologue. w00t

Yep, just pre-ordered.
Rex Coil 7
Maybe ... just maybe ... they'll offer a desktop (no keyboard) version.

Even if they don't, I'm liking what I'm hearing! My brother has two Monologues, and I've always loved those things for their broad sonic range. I had two of them myself about a year ago. This one seems like it has everything I like about the Monologue, and nothing I dislike about the Minilogue. The little baby hands keys are fine for fiddle-dicking around with the arpeggiator or the sequencer. But I'm just not adept enough of a keyboard player to really take those mini keys by the horns. That's ok, that is what MIDI is for. I can easily picture mounting this critter on top of a five octave Dot Com keybed (which is actually a full-on FATAR TP/9S).

Question is, how do I round up $620 munnies?

.... lemme see ... if I sell this, and maybe sell that, and perhaps cut back on the other thing .... hmmm.....
GNSDG
This is great. Would greatly appreciate being able to load Minilogue patches on this and take them further.
perplx
This looks real sweet, the digital osc and improved effects, microtuning and sequencer, etc. One thing I don't get is the envelope - it looks like the second EG is no-longer ADSR, just AD? Also, no more 4-pole filter, only 2-pole?

It still looks like a pretty badass synth, but it's a bit odd to use the same name for something that has such a different voice structure?
tenembre
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

I'll second that. People do convert them by removing the keyboard tho.

https://ask.audio/articles/mod-your-korg-minilogue-into-a-desktop-synt h-in-2-hours-for-6
TheRosskonian
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Question is, how do I round up $620 munnies?

.... lemme see ... if I sell this, and maybe sell that, and perhaps cut back on the other thing .... hmmm.....

Wondering the same thing myself in regards to space. Probably too early to ask this question, but is it worth it to keep a Monologue to pair with the Minilogue XD or would that be too redundant?
Rex Coil 7
tenembre wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

I'll second that. People do convert them by removing the keyboard tho.

https://ask.audio/articles/mod-your-korg-minilogue-into-a-desktop-synt h-in-2-hours-for-6
Yea, I've done that sort of thing before. I chopped the keybeds off of four Arturia Microbrutes, and then chopped a Minibrute as well.

seychmar
Why do manufacturers of otherwise excellent products insist on including keyboards on every new model? Most musicians will already have at least one decent master keyboard and space is at a premium for most of us. I certainly don’t need a cheap 3 octave keyboard. Give me a decent 19 inch rack anytime. That allows for proper circuitry (yes, no wall warts) and the possibility to have a really powerful rig in a small portable rack. Looking at my synth collection, the ones in regular use are those racked up and ready to go. Just flick on the master power switch and play. Even desktop units are a pain in the ass unless they are really well featured with tactile controls etc. Try fitting more than two or three on an average home studio desk.
Aja
I feel a little stupid because I just bought an original (used) Minilogue last week (didn't know about NAMM). Lots of these new features are obvious improvements, but I kinda wish the filter was still switchable.

If there's one sure thing whenever I record and mix a synth, it's that I'm gonna put a high-pass filter on it, so I actually liked using the Minilogue's resonance to dial back the bass. It gives it a nice airy sound. The xd seems fuller, but I'm not convinced it would be as easy to work with in a mix.
Rex Coil 7
seychmar wrote:
Why do manufacturers of otherwise excellent products insist on including keyboards on every new model? Most musicians will already have at least one decent master keyboard and space is at a premium for most of us. I certainly don’t need a cheap 3 octave keyboard. Give me a decent 19 inch rack anytime. That allows for proper circuitry (yes, no wall warts) and the possibility to have a really powerful rig in a small portable rack. Looking at my synth collection, the ones in regular use are those racked up and ready to go. Just flick on the master power switch and play. Even desktop units are a pain in the ass unless they are really well featured with tactile controls etc. Try fitting more than two or three on an average home studio desk.
If you're a "musician" what are you doing using an "average home desk" for your keyboard gear? Use a larger folding table or a keyboard stand. You want the keys at the right height, that would be when you are in your playing position (do you stand? .. do you sit?) and you lay your hands on the keys without pressing them down, your elbows should be bent at a 90 degree angle and your wrists should be totally flat/straight. If any of that is not right, you need to raise or lower the keybed until those angles are achieved.

Anyhow, movin' on ....

Has it already been observed in this thread that the Minilogue XD is outfitted with two CV inputs? I just noticed that when I went to preorder one of them for my wife.

Very cool little synth.

The little mini-key nonsense works out ok for transposing sequences, writing sequences, or building arpeggios. But for serious playing I'm one that prefers a standard 6.5 inch octave (C to B), with an excellent sprung feel with the right amount of "pushback" on key-release. The aftertouch must also have a usable amount of key travel on not just the naturals, but also on the sharps/flats, which is where many synth keybeds fail. The FATAR TP/9S is my absolute favorite synth keybed. The keys also must not clatter when performing a "gliss" (sliding your hand up or down a bunch of keys). And lastly, they have to have quiet action, without making thumpy, clanky, rattly sounds when playing.

Who me, picky? Naw. No way man.

lol
Rex Coil 7
Aja wrote:
I feel a little stupid because I just bought an original (used) Minilogue last week (didn't know about NAMM). Lots of these new features are obvious improvements, but I kinda wish the filter was still switchable.

If there's one sure thing whenever I record and mix a synth, it's that I'm gonna put a high-pass filter on it, so I actually liked using the Minilogue's resonance to dial back the bass. It gives it a nice airy sound. The xd seems fuller, but I'm not convinced it would be as easy to work with in a mix.
Just do that in post production? Or reduce the low end on your desk mixer?
Aja
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Just do that in post production?

That's what I normally do, but the more I record and mix, the more I want the sounds to be right from the start so that they don't require such drastic EQ, which can have consequences later on, when I start adding effects or doing other processing. Especially making ambient music, I find I have to clean up so much mud from synths that sound full on their own but bog down a mix.
Blingley
seychmar wrote:

Because most musicians are not studio musicians. The main market for nearly all of these products is for players playing live, touring with the damn things, and hauling them across the country. Jamming at friends couch, in the practice room wherever, etc. Music producers barely even feature into the sales numbers, as vocal of a group we may be in particular internet forums.

I'm sure that the large format stage piano/workstation market, I.E: Nord Stage, Korg Kronos, Yamaha Genos, etc significantly outvalue the entire field of analogue synthesis.
Rex Coil 7
I'm still wondering about those two CV inputs. I can't wait to get a look at the manual. And hopefully the manual isn't going to be one of those silly folded up pieces of paper that seem to be so popular with Japanese manufacturers lately.

So I'm very curious what the two CV inputs are mapped to (or how many destinations they can be mapped to).

Trampoline
Rex Coil 7
Blingley wrote:
seychmar wrote:

Because most musicians are not studio musicians. The main market for nearly all of these products is for players playing live, touring with the damn things, and hauling them across the country. Jamming at friends couch, in the practice room wherever, etc. Music producers barely even feature into the sales numbers, as vocal of a group we may be in particular internet forums.

I'm sure that the large format stage piano/workstation market, I.E: Nord Stage, Korg Kronos, Yamaha Genos, etc significantly outvalue the entire field of analogue synthesis.
Can you point to your source of this information? I'd bet that the mainstay of sales of these little toy synths come from home studio users, such as those seen by the bucketloads on Tou Yube.

cool
Rex Coil 7
Re; CV inputs. This is all the Korg web page for the XD offers:

(quoting)

Two CV IN jacks are provided, with voltage levels of -5V–+5V. In addition to CV/Gate, these can also input modulation signals, allowing you to use external devices to control parameters in the same way as moving the joystick up or down.

(end quote)

seriously, i just don't get it

Ok, so it refers to the joystick, that said here is what the web page has to say about the 'stick;

(quoting)

Controls pitch bend and modulation depth, etc. A desired parameter can also be assigned to the up/down axis.

(end quote)

Hmm ... there may actually be something to get excited about here! It implies that the "up/down" movement of the joystick may have an assignable destination. And since the CV inputs do the same thing as the "up/down movement of the joystick" that implies that the CV inputs may be assigned to the same destination list as the "up/down" movement of the joystick.

Purty cool!

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4