MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soundtronic MFOS Ultimate MIDI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Author Soundtronic MFOS Ultimate MIDI
synthcube
With full support and permission from synthCube/MFOS, the folks at Soundtronics have created an amazing project- the MIDI Ultimate. Paul and his team have various configurations available so you can buy as much or as little as you need from them in order to get the project done.... while we expect that the majority of build support will be arranged via Soundtronics directly, certainly feel free to use this thread as well for questions/comments etc!

Soundtronics MIDI Ultimate

Eric the Red
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this and having Soundtronics send this bad boy my way.

A few questions I have:
-is a PDF or hi res graphic of the front panel available? While I like this panel, I would rather make my own to fit the aesthetic of everything else I’m building.

-what mods are available? Is it possible to make a giant patch bay that has ins/outs for all o the modules?

Thanks
synthcube
Soundtronics are the main force behind this so we will encourage them to log on here for ongoing answers and support...
Paul Cooper
Eric the Red wrote:

A few questions I have:
-is a PDF or hi res graphic of the front panel available? While I like this panel, I would rather make my own to fit the aesthetic of everything else I’m building.

-what mods are available? Is it possible to make a giant patch bay that has ins/outs for all o the modules?

I certainly can make a PDF of the front panel available. Hacking the 5U x 10U front panel layout will mean making some compromises. All pots and switches are PCB mounted which of course determines the panel layout. The compromise would be having the pots and switches off-board with lots of panel wiring but can be done. Message me if you need the PDF.

The MIDI Ultimate was designed to be a standalone instrument so no real thought has been given to hacking opportunities. No doubt the DIY community will come up with ideas but we have a couple that we are going to discuss in the last EPE magazine artice. All of the toggle switches carry out the patching so if you were to ditch the switches and route wires to a patch board then it could be done. I admit that switches can and do restrict the number of patching options available but they have covered a great number. If there is a patch not covered, let me know as it may be able to be incorporated in any later revisions.

Hope that helps
johnstilton
I am interrested in learning more about the technical specifications of the MIDI section, as this was something that does not appear to be an MFOS design and there is no information on that site.
Paul Cooper
Hi John,

The MIDI interface appears in part 5 of the magazine articles. In summary, you have a 16 way MIDI channel selector switch, all 128 MIDI notes are accurately converted to a CV, plus a key down gate signal. Additionally, the key velocity is available as a CV although there is a selector switch to change that to the pitch bend or mod wheel. It is a basic interface with the mod wheel only giving a CV so really only used for expression rather than actual modulation. The velocity CV is the most useful especially when patched to the VCF and / or VCA.
johnstilton
Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll buy one of the MIDI kits. I’m about 15% into a conventional Ultimate+Expander+Extras build right now. Fortunately, I haven’t finalized on a panel layout yet. Besides the 5-pin midi, what is the total number of panel components (switches, jacks, pots, etc) that I will have to plan for in my panel layout?

I am also curious to know what midi controller(s) you have used for testing this circuit (esp the Velocity function)
Paul Cooper
From memory, there are 49 pots, 1 rotary switch and 41 toggle switches.
As for testing the MIDI interface, basically all of the gear I have in my set-up which is mainly Roland but also 3 cheap MIDI controllers. If in the unlikely event you have any issues with the MIDI interface, just let me know and I will investigate, the software is dead simple and easily altered and will be fully covered in part 5 of the magazine artiles.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Page 1 of 1