MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rolling Sync? WTF?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Rolling Sync? WTF?
KSS
Jammie Logan has said he's using 'rolling' sync in the VCO's of the LS David project.
Anyone know what this means?
Rex Coil 7
KSS wrote:
Jammie Logan has said he's using 'rolling' sync in the VCO's of the LS David project.
Anyone know what this means?

I don't even know who Jammie Logan is (is it "Jammie" or "Jamie"?).

I don't even know what a "rollin sync" is.

I don't even know what an "LS David" project is.

So I don't know what ANY of this means.

lol
hamildad
KSS
@Rex Coil 7
@hamildad
Is there something wrong with the question that you both need to speak when you essentially add nothing to the answer?

Is it too much to ask to simply stay out of threads where you have nothing of value to add?
unrecordings
unrecordings
As you can see I tried googling it...

I can only guess then it's maybe a sync technique for detuned VCOs - where maybe the tuning relationship is more critical than the modulation of the slave VCO..?
arthurdent
KSS wrote:

Is it too much to ask to simply stay out of threads where you have nothing of value to add?

WOW that's pretty harsh. I don't consider myself any kind of expert but this sounded interesting so I did a web search for Jammie Logan - couldn't find one with two m's, found a bunch of Jamie's but no musicians. Couldn't find anything on an LS David project.
unrecordings
Is it anything to do with this thread ?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179023&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=50&sid=3b188cf97af49d297412ffd46e8a4db3

From my experiments with video back in the day 'rolling sync' basically means 'no sync'
Footkerchief
KSS wrote:
@Rex Coil 7
@hamildad
Is there something wrong with the question that you both need to speak when you essentially add nothing to the answer?

Links would help!
hermbot
arthurdent wrote:
KSS wrote:

WOW that's pretty harsh.

I happens from time to time that some people view this message board as their own personal blog.
cretaceousear
Soft sync? - Might look to be rolling on an oscilloscope

But chill out and lighten up.. It's peanut butter jelly time! w00t!! Driving nanners
MARK27
Does the term "full grown midget" mean anything to anyone?

Lolhammer!
arthurdent
MARK27 wrote:
Does the term "full grown midget" mean anything to anyone?

Lolhammer!

Is that the same as jumbo shrimp?
peripatitis
unrecordings wrote:

I've died laughing thumbs up
sduck
The David synth is a ARP 2600 clone, but unlike the TTSH it's full size, and uses very close to the original pcb layout. It's also designed so that the individual sections can be built out separately and/or expanded/modded I think. Jammie was a member here for quite a while, but got in a huff about something and left, and is now on facebook. I don't know what this rolling sync is - but there was some demonstration of something new on facebook, but I wasn't paying attention.
arthurdent
AAH, so it's a Facebook thing. No wonder there's nothing out there on the web about it.
KSS
Thank you sduck. Jammie or Jamie? He's used both, as well as his wife's name, Emma Logan. Here he was jhulk, and is now partnered with Jim Soloman, who is aquatarkus here I think.

Together they are Logan Soloman, and the David project is much more than full size 2600, with modules 11 inches tall. Many promised modules and cases. Or it might be considered less, if what you want is a full size 2600. David is supposed to be followed by a project called Goliath.

They are heavily hyping and projecting an audiophile vibe with claims for superior sound based on esoteric expensive parts selection and updates to PCBs. Everybody can make their own mind up about what Audiophile means. And why a diode symbol is used on the PCB to denote a must be carbon comp resistor?
But the David does have more than a stock 2600, with additional filters and the rolling sync Jammie first mentioned in a Knobcon video where they showed Toto's Polyfusion and had as yet untested PCBs for sale. As with all other LS projects, there are a lot of promises, plenty of CAD models, and so far few results. But they do have an active but closed 'Alpha' group. This also is in line with their prior opening and closing of projects, sites and information without explanation.

Recently they ditched the 2600's Switchcraft jacks for Bantams like Hinton and Wiard now use. Ditching the Switchcraft was a good move. Those can be problematic in the box type used in the 2600, and their failure resulted in major changes to the 2600 production. Don't know what the plan is for the people who bought Alpha PCB packs with switchcraft footprints. It wasn't called David at that point. At least in public.

When Jammie said rolling sync in the Knobcon video, I thought he said Roland. It wasn't until a recent public post of his on their now public FB page, which is separate from the hidden alpha page, that it became understood to be rolling. But even that may be a typo as Jammie often has uncorrected typos with appearance of phonetic mistakes due to possibly using speech to text combined with autocorrect? So it could still be Roland sync. And their now public page has also gone public and private a couple times, so it could do so again?

Did not want to bring all this us up here, was only looking for one of the Alpha group members or Jim Soloman himself to say what is meant by the rolling, or Roland sync. From the video where Jammie mentioned it only briefly, it may be as simple as a VC comparator on the sync input.

Unfortunately the very first reply in the thread set the tone for what followed. Would still like to know what kind of sync this is.
Dave Peck
Why not give us links to all of this info? It sounds interesting and maybe once people here check it out they may understand what the question about Sync is asking and might be able to give you an answer.
dooj88
i know KSS is quite knowledgeable, so i don't presume this is the answer as it seems kind of obvious, but all i can come up with is syncing a static waveform to a moving wavetable.. wouldn't that act kind of like a pulsewidth for other waveforms? welp, jotting it down to try later anyway
ersatzplanet
The Roland Sync answer sounds like the most logical.

I thought it might be a sync chain too, as in VCO B is sync'd to VCO A, and VCO C is sync'd to VCO B and VCO D is sync'd to VCO C etc... cumulated errors could lead to a fatter sound. I ditched all but 2 VCOs from my rig so have no way of testing that.
KSS
I asked aquatarkus directly, and it does appear that what Jammie called rolling sync could be a comparator on the sync input. That's based on how once could accomplish what was described, and may not accurately reflect what they're actually doing.

Simply put, it is a sync which triggers at a selectable level.

I was asked not to share beyond this.
Navs
Is it like the sync on the Cwejman D-LFO? http://www.cwejman.net/d-lfo.htm

The comparator is not the 'secret sauce' most VCOs have them in some form in their core, don't they? So, it's bringing the usually-fixed threshold to the front panel. hmmm.....

I think Doepfer have something similar in their quad VCLFO/VCO - one doesn't determine the threshold but the direction after re-sync, but I imagine it's a similar incursion.
KSS
Navs wrote:
Is it like the sync on the Cwejman D-LFO?

Yes, the description there does seem to be in line with what was shared to me. Minus the T and G inputs.
While most oscs do have an internal comparator, this special suace does appear to be a second comparator on the sync input, rather than the comparator on the core.
diophantine
Dave Peck wrote:
Why not give us links to all of this info?

Unfortunately there isn't much aside from this public Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1867311310158159/
Usually very cryptic, and hard to know what's actually going on...
Rex Coil 7
KSS wrote:
@Rex Coil 7
@hamildad

Oh for fucks sake ... did your sense of humor die at birth or do you actually practise being a butthole? In either case, you're quite good at it!

Geezus man, I was just joking around. I was actually making fun of MYSELF. You could have been a good sam and actually helped me with what I don't know regarding the things you asked about. Did it ever occur to you that others in the membership may not know some of the things I said I didn't know?

Poor guy. It must suck to take yourself so damned seriously all the time.

Damn man.

meh

arthurdent wrote:
KSS wrote:

WOW that's pretty harsh. I don't consider myself any kind of expert but this sounded interesting so I did a web search for Jammie Logan - couldn't find one with two m's, found a bunch of Jamie's but no musicians. Couldn't find anything on an LS David project.

Footkerchief wrote:
KSS wrote:
@Rex Coil 7
@hamildad

Links would help!

hermbot wrote:
arthurdent wrote:
KSS wrote:

WOW that's pretty harsh.

I happens from time to time that some people view this message board as their own personal blog.

cretaceousear wrote:
Soft sync? - Might look to be rolling on an oscilloscope

But chill out and lighten up.. It's peanut butter jelly time! w00t!! Driving nanners

SNAP!

No worries folks. He's not much on liking me for posting this picture too many times ....

I mean, he really hates it when I do that. For some reason, he just doesn't like my presence. I should have known better than to make any attempt to have a little fun by mocking myself in one of his blogs .... woops ... threads.

Did I mention he doesn't like it when I post this picture?

lol lol lol lol lol

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

poke

(I'd best be careful ... he may go all "NIAGRA FALLS!!! .... SLOWLY I TURN ... STEP BY STEP .... INCH BY INCH")

(hides)
Dave Peck
diophantine wrote:

Usually very cryptic, and hard to know what's actually going on...

That's an understatement.

Although maybe it's just me - Whenever I check out a FB link I always feel like I'm walking into the middle of a conversation that started a long time ago between people I have never heard of on a topic that I don't understand.
cygmu
Soloman just posted to say that rolling sync "Iust means you can sync any waveform to any other waveform and you get some unique sounds. It's been described as almost FM like." My first guess was a comparator. So I came back to this thread to find that KSS had already found that out. Oh well.
ranix
KSS wrote:
I asked aquatarkus directly, and it does appear that what Jammie called rolling sync could be a comparator on the sync input. That's based on how once could accomplish what was described, and may not accurately reflect what they're actually doing.

Simply put, it is a sync which triggers at a selectable level.

I was asked not to share beyond this.

That's a shame - I don't know why someone would hide information like that. Describing the function of the module more accurately would increase the value of the module more than the risk of someone else implementing the idea. Preventing competing implementations is the only thing I can think of that could provide a positive benefit for withholding this information.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 2