Disting MK4 MIDI Expander vs. Select Bus Breakout

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

StutzJr
Learning to Wiggle

Disting MK4 MIDI Expander vs. Select Bus Breakout

Post by StutzJr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 am

Recently I've been looking at the MK4 MIDI Expander kit on the Thonk website, however it is currently listed as out of stock.
When I checked the page today I noticed a second module by Expert Sleepers with a similar front panel, "Select Bus Breakout". Looking at the build documents, clearly this module has a more involved circuit board.
I'm not really clear on the purpose of the "select bus" - can somebody please explain the difference between these modules?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 pm

The MIDI breakout kit should be back in stock any day now.

Description of the select bus kit here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/selectbusbreakout.html

If you explain what you'd like to do with MIDI, I can recommend which is best for you.

StutzJr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by StutzJr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for the update os, I just wasn't sure if it was going to be a long wait or a discontinued accessory. I don't anticipate having much need for recalling presets, apart from the MK4 I have no plans involving any of the other listed modules.

I'm still learning the basics with the MK4, I'm keen to learn more about what I can to with it in terms of MIDI<>CV (and also CC??). I'm particularly interested in expanding my ability to send CV-like signals both ways between software like VCV Rack on PC and my modular hardware. One day I hope to pick up an ES-8, but in the meantime I can get similar functionality (with less ins+outs) with my Roland Bitrazer.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”