MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thanks for the idea (3.5mm patch bay)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Thanks for the idea (3.5mm patch bay)
Digital Larry
I recently rearranged things in my studio, so now my BeatStep Pro is to the right of the Euro rack instead of right in front of it. I'm also setting up a Keystep 32 and I wanted to have some sort of patch bay in between so I don't have wires dangling down that I can't remember where they came from unless I look at the rear panels of the controllers.

I spent an hour yesterday on ModularGrid looking at various passive and buffered mults, but I really only need (mostly) a 1:1 connection. Then I got on here and searched for "Patch Bay" and found a recommendation to use an audio patch bay with 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters.

As it turns out I have a Behringer "Eurorack" patch bay already installed which will do the trick quite nicely. I don't actually patch much audio through it. I just need to order 20 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters, from Amazon it works out to about $60 which is about the same as two 2 or 3 hp 3x3 mults, but doesn't take up any space in my rack!
starthief
Digital Larry wrote:
I spent an hour yesterday on ModularGrid looking at various passive and buffered mults, but I really only need (mostly) a 1:1 connection. Then I got on here and searched for "Patch Bay" and found a recommendation to use an audio patch bay with 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters.

There's a sad general lack of patchbays, trunk lines, etc. for this sort of thing in Eurorack.

ADDAC911 is a 1U patchbay that has 1/4" and 3.5mm jacks for each channel, but it's pricey compared to standard 1U patchbays.

Other options:

-- The 2HP Bastl Multiple is dirt cheap, comes with all jacks wired together on the back, and you cut the connection wherever you like. I currently have one set up for four 1:1 connections to the back of my audio interface, though there's one jack left over.

-- A pair of ADDAC213B -- eight 1:1 connections in 6HP total, and you don't have to place the two modules side by side.

-- Trouby Modular Jack 8 is 8 3.5mm to 1/4" converters in 12HP.

-- Pulp Logic Patch Multiple or Liivatera Switched Patch. Instead of dividing the multiple by cutting wires, you divide it by patching cables in the left column. I used a pair of these for a while to bridge between cases.

-- Boredbrain Patchulator, but I think it's a bit overpriced and wonder why there's not a more straightforward, plain desktop patchbay like this.

-- DIY.
Digital Larry
Thanks for the comment. I decided I really need 10 patch points with my current setup.

4 for the drum triggers coming from my BSP. It supports 8 I think but I just use 4 going to 2 Erica Pico Drum modules.

2 each for the 2 melodic sequencers gate/pitch in the BSP (I don't use velocity at the moment) so that's 4 more.

2 for the gate/pitch on the Keystation.

I think the Behringer will be great as I can bring the signals in from behind, keeping that bunch of cables out of the way. And switching off normalling, I can have 24 channels just on the right hand side, leaving a few channels open for any audio patch routing I want to do (which is not much). Also, the connectors will be spread out a bit rather than all jammed into 6 or 8 hp. I have a few HP left over for "something else" but haven't been exploring the modular much recently, rather playing a lot of guitar.
Rex Coil 7
starthief wrote:
... ADDAC911 is a 1U patchbay that has 1/4" and 3.5mm jacks for each channel, but it's pricey compared to standard 1U patchbays.
You ain't kiddin' !! At today's exchange rate it's running $262.00 USD plus $40.00 USD shipping!

At $302.00 USD that thing better do flips and cartwheels!

Never maintain cash savings again
Rex Coil 7
Why not just make your own? Or if you're not hip on soldering/drilling holes and such there are quite a few people within our membership willing to be paid to make such a thing.

You could make a desktop format conversion patch box out of a $10.00 stomp box enclosure and ten 1/4" jacks plus ten 3.5mm jacks.

There's other methods and ideas that would be easily produced as well ...

DSC
Seems necessity always becomes the mother of invention.
Did the same for the MPCX!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1