MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The best Plugin host for OSX/Mac ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author The best Plugin host for OSX/Mac ?
Funky40
I´m using right now H-AU. Its free, its great.
But has a limitation of 3 FX slots per slot/track. ( beside the virtual instrument)
3 FX slots is not enough for me. And i can´t map the controls of the audiomixer/main window to a controller.
Also has it only 16 CC/mapping slots which is not many.
So thats why i´m asking for an alternative !

i begun to demo the (149$) "Gigperformer3" today.
It seems powerful but seems way to complicated to load some FX and map the CCs *on the quick*.
Since i first need to find my patches and i´m doing allways new patches it seems not for me right now.

When i surched the webz for a Host some weeks back was IIRC "Cantabile" the mostly recommended Host.
But its WIN only, .....Mac version in planning stage.
( also it seems to have a steep learning curve )

anybody with Host experience here ? ( i´m Mac based )
my intention: play a VST/AU instrument *with* FX added behind.
My Focus is on chaining FX, to map CCs of my hardware controller to the GUI controls *quickly* !! and to have as little audio latency as possible ( vs. my DAW/Live 10 which creates way more audio latency )

H-AU: http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html ( free, recommended by me, but has limitations )
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/ ( Windows only so far )
https://www.gigperformer.com/
bhinton
It's closer to a Max type workflow than a Live workflow but download a demo of Plogue Bidule - a lot of people use it just for midi mappings and plugin hosting and skip the rest of it. I find it super intuitive and fast but some don't so def demo first.
It can also run inside a DAW as an AU/VST if you wish, but I'm sure that would impact latency.
Also, some folks use Reaper as a host due to its efficiency. Mac version isn't quite as efficient as the Windows version but is (IME experience at least) much better for performance and latency than Live on a mac. As a bonus it has a built in 32 to 64 bit bridge.
Funky40
ahh, ...i demoed the Plogue Bidule allready 2 years ago when i started again ITB. bought the live9 afterwards.

Gigperformer is IMO similar in how you build your patches.
Thats cool for patches that are allready donne/fixed but way to labour intensive me tthinks when still surching for magic patches.

thanks anyway for then input bhinton

probably i just have to grab me Bidule and gigperformer at some time and just give it enough burn-in time snd look with what i can gel.......... hmmm.....
TXBDan
I wish they made Audiobus or AUM for OSX.
Monotremata
Apple MainStage?
Zon
Check out AU Lab, it's included in XCode i believe and is free on the apple store.

It's not a DAW but more like a digital audio mixer for routing and mixing audio. You can host AU plugins and as far as i know an unlimited amount of fx as far as your pc can hold it and it has midi mapping.

I just use it when i want an extremely light weight plugin host without all the hassle a regular daw brings.

You can also install it manually because XCode is quite big
http://macappstore.org/au-lab/
Funky40
Zon wrote:
Check out AU Lab, it's included in XCode......

Thanks for the tipps Zon and Monotremata

the Au lab page looks very confusing to me.
( i´m a computer Idiot in the meantime, ......not meant to change that state again....)
There is no app to download ? just follow those commands ?
Hows the Au lab in the handling for a Mac-dumb ?
rjungemann
I went on a similar journey as you.

Gigperformer does look cool. There's Camelot Pro which was just released. Numerology is great for this purpose. Mainstage, as previously mentioned.

A boring suggestion: many DAWs should handle this use case well. I've specifically used Live in session view for this purpose (just for plugins and the mixer channels).

Here's a couple off-the-wall ideas. VCV Rack and Voltage Modular can now host VSTs/AU which could be sort of fun in a performance context. VCV Rack has a MIDI CC module whereas Voltage Modular has MIDI Learn. VCV Rack has gotten much more stable, and I haven't had a crash with Voltage Modular yet.
Adamalthus
Another thumbs up for Bidule. Been using it for over a decade. Likely one of the simplest and most flexible host apps on the Mac IMHO.
Zon
Funky40 wrote:
Zon wrote:
Check out AU Lab, it's included in XCode......

Thanks for the tipps Zon and Monotremata

the Au lab page looks very confusing to me.
( i´m a computer Idiot in the meantime, ......not meant to change that state again....)
There is no app to download ? just follow those commands ?
Hows the Au lab in the handling for a Mac-dumb ?

Like I said it's included in Xcode in the app store but it's quite bulky. AUlab is really simple and bare bones thumbs up
Funky40
rjungemann wrote:

A boring suggestion: many DAWs should handle this use case well. I've specifically used Live in session view for this purpose (just for plugins and the mixer channels).

i also used to use Live9/ now10 for that task.
The difference in latency vs. H-AU is IMO highly noticeable !
......also is Live ("on my computer/setup") often crashing when using GRM plugins, which i often use.
H-Au is only crashing at startup ....if it loads, it plays. (refering to GRM heavy patches)
Monotremata
The AU Lab thing is kinda tricky. Apple really made it hard for people to find and install it now, where it used to come as part of OS X.

If you go to the Mac App Store link that Zon posted above (note that's not THE App Store), at the top of the page, it has a link to Apple's "Mastered for iTunes" page. You can download AU Lab directly from there now, without having to download and install Xcode. AU Lab should be what you're looking for, I forgot about it when I mentioned MainStage. MainStage is gonna cost ya money, but AU Lab is completely free. Its basically just a mixer/AU host. Load up an AU instrument in a channel, add effects, play.. I still keep it around to test new/updated plugins whenever Logic gives me attitude about finding them or doesn't play nice with one. When you install a new one that requires a serial or registration info, opening AU Lab is a lot quicker than waiting for Logic to open and scan all your AUs just so you can enter your serial and use your software hehe.
Loopy C
Blue Cat 'Patchwork'?

I haven't used it specifically for your application (VI's)...BUT, it has proved to be an OUTSTANDING AU/VST Host for self-contained modular, universal fx hosting in my many uses, so perhaps it has some worth for your consideration (either on it's own or in conjunction with something else like 'Main Stage', or to expand the fx instances within Host AU?)

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

hth ;-)
alexander92
DDMF metaplugin is a very useful VST host. I'm unsure if you'd be able to combine both AU and VSTs (I dont run OS X), but it's one of my favourites . It comes with a few useful utilities as wel, for example a mid side splitter, which allows to layer/split your different instruments/fx together.

I do like audiomulch as wel for chaining instruments/fx, it can host both AU and VST. It's a different workflow, and my experience with it is that it's not ideal to create a full track with it. I love to rewire it one way or another into ableton. Perhaps with jack audio, but I did not find a streamlined workflow for it yet. If anyone can chime on this issue it's gladly appreciated.
ngarjuna
REAPER is $60 for a non-comm license and offers a lot more flexibility and features than any of the plugin chainers. And it’s unusually stable. And renowned for resource management with heavy plugins.
CF3
DSP Quattro
alexander92
ngarjuna wrote:
REAPER is $60 for a non-comm license and offers a lot more flexibility and features than any of the plugin chainers. And it’s unusually stable. And renowned for resource management with heavy plugins.

Can you elaborate on this?I know reaper is powerful with routing, but as non reaper user, can this workflow be used with ableton?
ngarjuna
alexander92 wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:

Can you elaborate on this?I know reaper is powerful with routing, but as non reaper user, can this workflow be used with ableton?

I’ve never used ReWire but I think that’s what it’s for. I’ve read about people using it as a sub-host like that, though. Didn’t realize that was what the OP needed but REAPER probably still fits the bill. I was thinking more about stuff like all the JS MIDI plugins or parameter modulation on top of the plugin hosting.
Funky40
Thanks for all the input !
i will have a further look on these tipps.

Reaper was not for me when i tested it as a DAW.
too cryptic, too loaded. anyway, i´ll give it another try wink
I´m now on a 40" screen vs. a 13" macbook which might chnage my feel ( hopefully) wink

but in general i thought that a streamlined Host-only should have better latencys ?
otherwise i´d be (mostly) happy with Live10. i know it well enough to programm my patches incl. CC mappings quite quickly
dan_p
Perfect timing for this thread. I was just starting to think about this. I've started to use the Mac as an effects processor but using Logic is a bit cumbersome. I've just downloaded GigPerformer and so far its really fitting the bill nicely. Super low latency and very intuitive. I've managed to get a rack set up with some effects and a separate send for reverb with knobs controlling parameters which are mapped to a midi controller. Only thing I've not quite worked out is the recording.

This with Byome is going to be great.
dan_p
I'm going to grab Gigperformer. I've had a good play last night and another go this morning and I'm gelling with it. I'm not finding mapping stuff too difficult, after a couple of hours I can set a rack up pretty quickly but what I'm doing is very simple. I'm only using 2 or 3 plugins and the built in mixers so there's not a lot of mapping going on. One thing that is annoying is finding the Plugin from the list that you want to map. Once you do it its very easy to map using the learn function. Learn works really well as long as you remember to turn it off as it stays latched.

It seems stable, I've not had any problems but its really hard to tell until you have a load of time on it.

Funky40 wrote:
[b]
i begun to demo the (149$) "Gigperformer3" today.
It seems powerful but seems way to complicated to load some FX and map the CCs *on the quick*.
Since i first need to find my patches and i´m doing always new patches it seems not for me right now.
rjungemann
Funky40 wrote:
The difference in latency vs. H-AU is IMO highly noticeable !

And the sample rate and buffer size were the same?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1