MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video Synthesis as Image Processing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video Synthesis as Image Processing
kangcut
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.
I'm a vfx artist and narrative film director. When I came to video synthesis it was with an eye on how it could be applied to narrative work. So far I've been doing experiments running out from a macbook, into at a 3trins & Optiglitch. I just got an mx1 mixer that I'm currently learning how to use.

by way of example here's a collage video I just made that culminates in a video synthesized effect:

^link https://vimeo.com/307200059

I've found some threads about the idea, but there doesn't seem to be that much being said on this subject, so I wanted to make this topic, hopefully, as a place for the discussion to live and attract new interest. Rockin' Banana!

FetidEye
Cool Video!

I use my video synth mostly as image processor, for colorising videofeedback and warping edges and effects.

I'm in the proces of trying to get full RGB video input in my DIY system, to get even more control over the colorisation process.
this can be achieved with LZX Cadet modules and some modding.

The 3TrinsRGB and the basic LZX Cadet setup only offer 1 channel (luma) video input. This is somewhat limiting.

For the colorisation I use the Sandin Function generator in combination with Processors (video attenuverters) and mixers.
The Castle ADC and DAC offer interesting color features too. especially if you use these modules for each color. You need 3 ADC's . The DAC is already dual, so 2 DACmodules is enough to achieve it.

With the Castle Logic module you can get all kinds of keying / fill-ins done.
This has a powerfull effect when used with video input.
These (screenshot, so a bit blurry) picts are done with that method.
The keyed elements (XOR / NOR) are replaced with unsynced high frequency oscillator noise which is colorised by a Function generator.

kangcut
FetidEye wrote:
Cool Video!

I use my video synth mostly as image processor, for colorising videofeedback and warping edges and effects.

I'm in the proces of trying to get full RGB video input in my DIY system, to get even more control over the colorisation process.
this can be achieved with LZX Cadet modules and some modding.

The 3TrinsRGB and the basic LZX Cadet setup only offer 1 channel (luma) video input. This is somewhat limiting.

Thanks FE! I've read your posts in other threads, I really like the work you make and it seems like you have a lot of interest and knowledge when it comes to this area.

I'm really interested in the idea of warping edges, manipulating the space of the video itself, either before or after keying out various elements.
I have a book on video art from SUNY Buffalo golden days (Vasulkas etc) and love much of the work.

I love the traditional wobbulator effect, the violin modulation done in this video around the 5 minute mark (https://vimeo.com/33471337) etc. I understand much of this was done by modifying old TVs, which is not really an option for me, but from what I understand if I can change the video into XY information it should be possible to modulate the information streams in a similar way.

It seems like the LZX multimode filter can accomplish a similar effect?
Referring specifically to this video at around the 7 minute mark, the 'dream sequence' effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUciKSXzmic

Is there any way to accomplish this or a wobbulator effect either using the gear that I have, or through some less expensive cadet modules?

My experiments in this area so far have been relatively unsuccessful. Using an organelle to generate a frequency, I ran the sound into the CV input of the red channel on my 3trins:

This is the closest I can seem to come to this effect though, as I can't figure out a way of modulating the video signal itself

---

RGB input would be a huge asset, working with a single channel has been my greatest pet peeve so far. Would love to know more about your setup.

thanks again!
S
FetidEye
I have about this system:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/750536

but it looks like this:

more pics

and has some custom diy stuff in it, like a summing mixer and modded / adapted VCO's with more waveforms. (most Castle modules are not in this case. I'm making a new one smile

The Video filter looks great! maybe If I ever have more cashflow....

It is also possible to diy video filters, or use audio modules to change video material.
jroman
Your post reminded me of a music video a friend and I made for the Mecca Normal song "No Mind's Eye". The raw footage was from the film "Angry Boy" made by Maya Deren's husband / sometimes collaborator Alexander Hammid for the Michigan State Dept. of Mental Health. We didn't use analog effects for it, but the results seem not unlike your still image / glitched section of video. And the goal was somewhat similar to what you've outlined here: how can we obscure/distort this original text in a narratively meaningful way i.e. make it make sense with the song lyrics?

Anyway, I share an interest in figuring out how to apply these effects (synthesis, glitch, whatever) in a way that goes beyond "hey, this looks cool", so I hope this thread gets some traction.
Agawell
I also do a fair bit of video processing

chain is usually

macbook pro running praxislive (mainly used as a video player, but sometimes with feedback and effects) feeding lumen (often with a couple of webcams set up for feedback - 1 pointing at the main output screen, the other, a usb microscope, pointing at the view window in lumen) and then out to the visual cortex for further processing in an LZX system (combination of expedition, cadet and castle modules - with more to be added) feeding the main output screen (which is being filmed and fed back into lumen)

examples can be found on my instagram (jimhowell1970)
kangcut
@Fetideye

Great looking setup! Was it hard to custom build the LZX modules based solely on schematics? Where did you source components, pcb & top panels from?
I built my 3trins - would you say it was as difficult a project as this, or less so?

If I were to start building an LZX kit with cadet modules for image processing purposes using filters etc, where would you recommend that I begin? I've read that I can integrate my 3trins into an LZX setup in someone, is that correct?

I would also love to know more about what you mentioned before - Re: 3 channel colour processing for video input - what did you have to mod to achieve this & do you have any pics of results?

@jroman
Pleasure to meet you! Sounds like we share a similar outlook and interest. I too am fascinated by the look of these effects, but not satisfied by their novelty alone. I'm interested in the poetic qualities of these visuals and how they can be used to achieve so-called "vertical development" in an otherwise horizontal narrative, the kind that Maya Deren references in this cinema-16 talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-yzqykwcQ

I'm a big fan of painterly filmmakers, people like Kubrick, Lynch, Bergman - who seem to have mastered all aspects of the medium (story, sound, performance, visuals & tone/pacing) and draw a lot of inspiration from other more purely experimental filmmakers like early Maya Deren, Len Lye, Arthur Lipsett (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFn-NobVaoI) & Robert Breer(https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zfswu) who use visuals and sound together to create new meaning.

@Agawell - Scoped out the IG, good looking stuff! Pleased to make your acquaintance.
FetidEye
The 3Trins is a pretty complex build, so if you did that with succes... the Cadets should be do-able for you.

I used bigger potentiometers & other jacks, so I wired everything by hand.
That was a lot of work, but I wanted to use those fancy knobs.

All panels have 2, 3 or 4 pcb's behing them.
I used a FABFAB to lasercut the panels. (panel design in Illustrator)

LZX sells a 3Trins to LZX format expansion. That works good.

You will need the basics: Sync generator, video input & RGB encoder to get started.
First build these, then test if it all works.
Then get a few of the pcb's below. Again, build a few, then test.
I've added the basic amounts "(3)" you need for RGB processing.
Look at the Cadet system 21 set.

To get some image processing going, consider these:
-Hard key generators 3) : comparator action, for keying, edges, PWM
-Processors (3) : for attenueverting colors
-Faders (3) : 2 ch voltage/video controlled crossfading, mixing, wipes etc
-Ramps (1) : useful for making wipes and modulations.
-VCO (3) : for modulations
-Multiplier (3) : video VCA. modulations by ext cv / video
-Scaler (1) : getting ext cv and audio into your video system

Special effects:
-Castle modules the DAC and ADC are very useful to get started.
-Sandin modules (PM me) - for edges and a wavefolder / EQ

The RGB / YPbPr input module is in the early stages of design.
See project page here:
https://community.lzxindustries.net/t/making-a-component-rgb-video-inp ut-module

There are no real filters yet in the DIY Cadet system.
You can combine the DIY modules with the build LZX modules that offer advanced processing.

The components I bought at Mouser, TME and Thonk. In the BOM of each module, Mouser part codes are included . Some parts like the LT1251 you might need to order elsewhere. See BOM

martijn
kangcut
FetidEye wrote:
The 3Trins is a pretty complex build, so if you did that with succes... the Cadets should be do-able for you.

Very cool! Ok, thinking cadet basics & some advanced modules may be the way for me to go.
For a case - is my best bet a music store?

Posting some video synthesis collage art I made this week for the experimental filmmaker I work for:

Agawell
cases? - depends on budget

from under $100/euros/pounds - for diy - a few bits of wood, a frequency central psu and a busboard

through a few hundred tiptop mantis - which is great - unless you want to house some of the deeper cadet/castle modules without wiring the panel to the board

upto lzx vessel cases

up to even more pricey alternatives

most important is power - is there enough???! especially -12v

depth - some diy modules are deep

lars generally recommends tiptop studio bus (and mantis), malekko (used in lzx cases) and the doepfer psu3 for power

other supplies will work but may be noisy - you can see it in the video

I've got a few castle and cadet modules running of a meanwell psu (bastl marton 2*72hp case) and that seems quiet enough

I'm also going to try a frequency central psu supplying a reverselandfill video synch busboard - but that will be in a couple of weeks - once all the parts arrive and I have built them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1