MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Electro-Music - Trident
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Rossum Electro-Music - Trident
sans.soleil

Quote:
The latest brainchild of synth pioneer Dave Rossum, TRIDENT is a 100% analog, triple oscillator module that opens up a universe of dynamic timbral textures.

At its most basic level, TRIDENT is three precision audio VCOs, each sporting a unique variety of control voltage inputs.

The main or “Carrier” oscillator provides its three waveforms simultaneously. The two Modulation Oscillators each have a single output and a waveform selector. The Modulation Oscillators also have a voltage controlled Symmetry parameter which varies the duty cycle of the triangle wave output from sawtooth to triangle back to time reversed sawtooth, and also varies the sawtooth output to have an upward or downward kink in the middle, as well as controlling pulse width when the pulse waveform is selected.

And while each oscillator can be used independently if desired, it’s when they’re combined into a synchronous ensemble that the real sonic magic happens.

That magic is what we call Zing Modulation. Each of the Modulation Oscillators can modulate each of the Carrier outputs in an amount controlled by the Zing parameter. Zing Modulation is mathematically akin to ring modulation, but due to the synchronization of the oscillators (when an oscillator’s Sync button is on), the aharmonic sum and difference sidetones of ring modulation transform into complex but purely harmonic overtone spectra, which vary dynamically and dramatically with the frequency and waveshape modulations of the modulation oscillators. Each change in the Modulation Oscillator parameters – Frequency, Symmetry, Waveshape, Zing, and (in the case of Modulation Oscillator 2) Phase – will have a different effect on the timbre of each of the three Carrier waveshape outputs.

When the modulation oscillators are set to track the carrier oscillator, the waveshape will remain constant as the carrier frequency changes. In this case the overtone structure is determined by the settings and CV modulations of the modulation oscillators. If instead the modulation oscillators do not track the carrier, some of the overtone structure will vary relative to the carrier frequency.

What all this means is that whether you take advantage of Trident’s unique synchronous modulation capabilities (which you, of course, should), or just treat it as three superb, wide-range analog oscillators, TRIDENT offers a vast variety of dramatic sonic textures.

TRIDENT features include:

– Three precision analog oscillators with dedicated 1V/Octave inputs and coarse control ranges of 20Hz to 20kHz and modulated ranges of 0.01Hz to 25 kHz.

– Main Carrier oscillator with simultaneous triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms, with exponential and linear frequency modulation and pulse width modulation.

– Main Carrier oscillator hard sync input

– Modulation Oscillator 1 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, and variable Zing level and Zing level modulation.

– Modulation Oscillator 2 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, variable Zing level and Zing level modulation, and variable phase and phase modulation.

– Both Modulation Oscillators with independently selectable options to sync to the Main Carrier oscillator and track the Main Carrier oscillator

– Trident, like all Rossum Electro-Music modules, features solid construction, with thick aluminum panels, solid aluminum knobs, and quality components throughout.

TRIDENT is 30HP wide and 25mm deep.

Power requirements (max): 250mA +12V, 225mA -12V. Reverse polarity protected.

TRIDENT will be available this spring from Rossum Electro-Music dealers worldwide.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/trident/

we're not worthy
Futuresound
Wow. Can't wait to hear this.

Also, massive props for that panel design. Despite the apparent complexity arising from the extensive labelling, it took me like 1 second to understand how it works.
vytis
Dave Rossum we're not worthy
Always something unique and groundbreaking.
Bots
Wauw eek!
nimmen
Very nice, just when you expect to buy less modules in 2019 razz
Dragonaut
Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!
damase
wow, cannot wait to hear this. layout looks very nice for how maxed out it is
CaneMan
I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.
diller
CaneMan wrote:
I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.

It's more like a complex complex oscillator though, right?

Looks amazing. Anyone heard of a price yet?
xclark
diller wrote:
Anyone heard of a price yet?

$599. Control Voltage has a preorder page up for it already.
anselmi
wow, looks great!
can´t wait to hear those modulation buses in action!
magneteyez
Another Great oscillator d'oh!
windspirit
Very curious to hear the zing modulation
DonKartofflo
Oh, some new thoughts on analogue complex oscillators, brilliant!
also, 599 for three oscillators alone is one hell of a bargain.
just a bit worried about those jacks between knobs, I do prefer them at the bottom.

seriously curious about those fixed ratios and zing modulation!
uniquepersonno2
Wow, this looks awesome. Can't wait to hear it. Love what Rossum is doing in the analog realm!
Crimesofthecrown
Damn. I like that these fools only go big with their modules.
letitbleep
Dragonaut wrote:
Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!

this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room
onthelees
Hoping this sounds something like the original EMU modular VCO’s- one of my favorite VCO’s of all time.
cackland
That is some serious modulation possibilites in 30HP. Looking forward to demos
Dragonaut
letitbleep wrote:
Dragonaut wrote:

this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room

I'm right there with you. If I'm not careful I'm going to sell off my digital oscillators one by one.
Ttrev2k
https://youtu.be/I_h_TPLdnc8

Thank you Analogue Zone
Azarius
Thanks for posting that. Sounds amazing! Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.
BTG
Very interesting but damn that power consumption...yikes. I suppose per VCO or HP it’s not that bad...
lisa
Azarius wrote:
Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.

Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy. I agree!
vytis
Excellent demo, thanks for posting this.
I'm sold.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3