Rossum Electro-Music - Trident

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

sans.soleil
Learning to Wiggle

Rossum Electro-Music - Trident

Post by sans.soleil » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 pm

The latest brainchild of synth pioneer Dave Rossum, TRIDENT is a 100% analog, triple oscillator module that opens up a universe of dynamic timbral textures.

At its most basic level, TRIDENT is three precision audio VCOs, each sporting a unique variety of control voltage inputs.

The main or “Carrier” oscillator provides its three waveforms simultaneously. The two Modulation Oscillators each have a single output and a waveform selector. The Modulation Oscillators also have a voltage controlled Symmetry parameter which varies the duty cycle of the triangle wave output from sawtooth to triangle back to time reversed sawtooth, and also varies the sawtooth output to have an upward or downward kink in the middle, as well as controlling pulse width when the pulse waveform is selected.

And while each oscillator can be used independently if desired, it’s when they’re combined into a synchronous ensemble that the real sonic magic happens.

That magic is what we call Zing Modulation. Each of the Modulation Oscillators can modulate each of the Carrier outputs in an amount controlled by the Zing parameter. Zing Modulation is mathematically akin to ring modulation, but due to the synchronization of the oscillators (when an oscillator’s Sync button is on), the aharmonic sum and difference sidetones of ring modulation transform into complex but purely harmonic overtone spectra, which vary dynamically and dramatically with the frequency and waveshape modulations of the modulation oscillators. Each change in the Modulation Oscillator parameters – Frequency, Symmetry, Waveshape, Zing, and (in the case of Modulation Oscillator 2) Phase – will have a different effect on the timbre of each of the three Carrier waveshape outputs.

When the modulation oscillators are set to track the carrier oscillator, the waveshape will remain constant as the carrier frequency changes. In this case the overtone structure is determined by the settings and CV modulations of the modulation oscillators. If instead the modulation oscillators do not track the carrier, some of the overtone structure will vary relative to the carrier frequency.

What all this means is that whether you take advantage of Trident’s unique synchronous modulation capabilities (which you, of course, should), or just treat it as three superb, wide-range analog oscillators, TRIDENT offers a vast variety of dramatic sonic textures.

TRIDENT features include:

– Three precision analog oscillators with dedicated 1V/Octave inputs and coarse control ranges of 20Hz to 20kHz and modulated ranges of 0.01Hz to 25 kHz.

– Main Carrier oscillator with simultaneous triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms, with exponential and linear frequency modulation and pulse width modulation.

– Main Carrier oscillator hard sync input

– Modulation Oscillator 1 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, and variable Zing level and Zing level modulation.

– Modulation Oscillator 2 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, variable Zing level and Zing level modulation, and variable phase and phase modulation.

– Both Modulation Oscillators with independently selectable options to sync to the Main Carrier oscillator and track the Main Carrier oscillator

– Trident, like all Rossum Electro-Music modules, features solid construction, with thick aluminum panels, solid aluminum knobs, and quality components throughout.

TRIDENT is 30HP wide and 25mm deep.

Power requirements (max): 250mA +12V, 225mA -12V. Reverse polarity protected.

TRIDENT will be available this spring from Rossum Electro-Music dealers worldwide.
http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/trident/

:hail:

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Wow. Can't wait to hear this.

Also, massive props for that panel design. Despite the apparent complexity arising from the extensive labelling, it took me like 1 second to understand how it works.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Dave Rossum :hail:
Always something unique and groundbreaking.

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Wauw :eek:

nimmen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nimmen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Very nice, just when you expect to buy less modules in 2019 :razz:
busy soldering...

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 pm

wow, cannot wait to hear this. layout looks very nice for how maxed out it is

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 pm

I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.

diller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diller » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:41 pm

CaneMan wrote:I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.
It's more like a complex complex oscillator though, right?

Looks amazing. Anyone heard of a price yet?

xclark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xclark » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm

diller wrote:Anyone heard of a price yet?
$599. Control Voltage has a preorder page up for it already.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 pm

wow, looks great!
can´t wait to hear those modulation buses in action!

magneteyez
Common Wiggler

Post by magneteyez » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Another Great oscillator :doh:

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Very curious to hear the zing modulation

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Oh, some new thoughts on analogue complex oscillators, brilliant!
also, 599 for three oscillators alone is one hell of a bargain.
just a bit worried about those jacks between knobs, I do prefer them at the bottom.

seriously curious about those fixed ratios and zing modulation!
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Wow, this looks awesome. Can't wait to hear it. Love what Rossum is doing in the analog realm!

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Damn. I like that these fools only go big with their modules.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

letitbleep
Common Wiggler

Post by letitbleep » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Dragonaut wrote:Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!
this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:34 am

Hoping this sounds something like the original EMU modular VCO’s- one of my favorite VCO’s of all time.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 am

That is some serious modulation possibilites in 30HP. Looking forward to demos

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:50 am

letitbleep wrote:
Dragonaut wrote:Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!
this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room
I'm right there with you. If I'm not careful I'm going to sell off my digital oscillators one by one.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Ttrev2k
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ttrev2k » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 am

Thank you Analogue Zone

Azarius
Common Wiggler

Post by Azarius » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for posting that. Sounds amazing! Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 am

Very interesting but damn that power consumption...yikes. I suppose per VCO or HP it’s not that bad...

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:28 am

Azarius wrote:Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.
Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy. :agree:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 am

Excellent demo, thanks for posting this.
I'm sold.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”