MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Electro-Music - Trident
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Rossum Electro-Music - Trident
sans.soleil

Quote:
The latest brainchild of synth pioneer Dave Rossum, TRIDENT is a 100% analog, triple oscillator module that opens up a universe of dynamic timbral textures.

At its most basic level, TRIDENT is three precision audio VCOs, each sporting a unique variety of control voltage inputs.

The main or “Carrier” oscillator provides its three waveforms simultaneously. The two Modulation Oscillators each have a single output and a waveform selector. The Modulation Oscillators also have a voltage controlled Symmetry parameter which varies the duty cycle of the triangle wave output from sawtooth to triangle back to time reversed sawtooth, and also varies the sawtooth output to have an upward or downward kink in the middle, as well as controlling pulse width when the pulse waveform is selected.

And while each oscillator can be used independently if desired, it’s when they’re combined into a synchronous ensemble that the real sonic magic happens.

That magic is what we call Zing Modulation. Each of the Modulation Oscillators can modulate each of the Carrier outputs in an amount controlled by the Zing parameter. Zing Modulation is mathematically akin to ring modulation, but due to the synchronization of the oscillators (when an oscillator’s Sync button is on), the aharmonic sum and difference sidetones of ring modulation transform into complex but purely harmonic overtone spectra, which vary dynamically and dramatically with the frequency and waveshape modulations of the modulation oscillators. Each change in the Modulation Oscillator parameters – Frequency, Symmetry, Waveshape, Zing, and (in the case of Modulation Oscillator 2) Phase – will have a different effect on the timbre of each of the three Carrier waveshape outputs.

When the modulation oscillators are set to track the carrier oscillator, the waveshape will remain constant as the carrier frequency changes. In this case the overtone structure is determined by the settings and CV modulations of the modulation oscillators. If instead the modulation oscillators do not track the carrier, some of the overtone structure will vary relative to the carrier frequency.

What all this means is that whether you take advantage of Trident’s unique synchronous modulation capabilities (which you, of course, should), or just treat it as three superb, wide-range analog oscillators, TRIDENT offers a vast variety of dramatic sonic textures.

TRIDENT features include:

– Three precision analog oscillators with dedicated 1V/Octave inputs and coarse control ranges of 20Hz to 20kHz and modulated ranges of 0.01Hz to 25 kHz.

– Main Carrier oscillator with simultaneous triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms, with exponential and linear frequency modulation and pulse width modulation.

– Main Carrier oscillator hard sync input

– Modulation Oscillator 1 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, and variable Zing level and Zing level modulation.

– Modulation Oscillator 2 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, variable Zing level and Zing level modulation, and variable phase and phase modulation.

– Both Modulation Oscillators with independently selectable options to sync to the Main Carrier oscillator and track the Main Carrier oscillator

– Trident, like all Rossum Electro-Music modules, features solid construction, with thick aluminum panels, solid aluminum knobs, and quality components throughout.

TRIDENT is 30HP wide and 25mm deep.

Power requirements (max): 250mA +12V, 225mA -12V. Reverse polarity protected.

TRIDENT will be available this spring from Rossum Electro-Music dealers worldwide.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/trident/

we're not worthy
Futuresound
Wow. Can't wait to hear this.

Also, massive props for that panel design. Despite the apparent complexity arising from the extensive labelling, it took me like 1 second to understand how it works.
vytis
Dave Rossum we're not worthy
Always something unique and groundbreaking.
Bots
Wauw eek!
nimmen
Very nice, just when you expect to buy less modules in 2019 razz
Dragonaut
Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!
damase
wow, cannot wait to hear this. layout looks very nice for how maxed out it is
CaneMan
I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.
diller
CaneMan wrote:
I don't know what's more exciting, the thought of it as a complex osc or the idea of using it as a complex LFO.

It's more like a complex complex oscillator though, right?

Looks amazing. Anyone heard of a price yet?
xclark
diller wrote:
Anyone heard of a price yet?

$599. Control Voltage has a preorder page up for it already.
anselmi
wow, looks great!
can´t wait to hear those modulation buses in action!
magneteyez
Another Great oscillator d'oh!
windspirit
Very curious to hear the zing modulation
DonKartofflo
Oh, some new thoughts on analogue complex oscillators, brilliant!
also, 599 for three oscillators alone is one hell of a bargain.
just a bit worried about those jacks between knobs, I do prefer them at the bottom.

seriously curious about those fixed ratios and zing modulation!
uniquepersonno2
Wow, this looks awesome. Can't wait to hear it. Love what Rossum is doing in the analog realm!
Crimesofthecrown
Damn. I like that these fools only go big with their modules.
letitbleep
Dragonaut wrote:
Woah, very cool. The era of the wavetable is over! Everyone embrace new crazy wave shaping analog oscillators!

this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room
onthelees
Hoping this sounds something like the original EMU modular VCO’s- one of my favorite VCO’s of all time.
cackland
That is some serious modulation possibilites in 30HP. Looking forward to demos
Dragonaut
letitbleep wrote:
Dragonaut wrote:

this! analog wave shaping feels so much more creative and personal to me. i would love this and the new rubicon and several more wave-folders/shapers than i have, but alas... no room

I'm right there with you. If I'm not careful I'm going to sell off my digital oscillators one by one.
Ttrev2k
https://youtu.be/I_h_TPLdnc8

Thank you Analogue Zone
Azarius
Thanks for posting that. Sounds amazing! Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.
BTG
Very interesting but damn that power consumption...yikes. I suppose per VCO or HP it’s not that bad...
lisa
Azarius wrote:
Watching Dave Rossum present his modules always makes me smile. It really shows how much he loves what he is doing and his good natured demeanor and positive attitude is infectious.

Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy. I agree!
vytis
Excellent demo, thanks for posting this.
I'm sold.
magneteyez
vytis wrote:
Excellent demo, thanks for posting this.
I'm sold.

Me too.
peripatitis
tbh I did expect a bit "more" from that sound.
I'd like to hear more demos to unravel it's potential.

Dave is a great guy and I love my evolution and the built quality of their modules are on a different level.
anselmi
it´s amazing how accurate the basic waveforms looks (and sounds)...great module that goes to my "next" list
mdoudoroff
Here’s the Analog Zone video embedded:

Looks like some impressive engineering.
-S.L-
looks and sounds like a very big wavetable module, with sounds that we heard already, at least to me.

not 100% convinced here seriously, i just don't get it
stickman
Id love to hear more square and FM

Zing is ok but to replace a load of stuff I still need lovely pwm thx
Richjk7
I was a little hesitant at first because the design reminded me of the pro2 osc's minus the Zing. After listening to the demos, to me it can go in a totally different direction. At points in the demo it sounded like it was playing a wavetable. This thing has huge potential applause
-S.L-
Richjk7 wrote:
This thing has huge potential applause

did you mean "this this is huge" ? It's peanut butter jelly time! hihi
Dragonaut
There are a couple interesting videos by Instagram user, Peff.

https://www.instagram.com/peff/?hl=en
mdoudoroff
Richjk7 wrote:
At points in the demo it sounded like it was playing a wavetable.

That’s the engineering at work: these oscillators are so well-controlled that their product converges on the clean regularity you associated with a digital wavetable.
damase
I know i would love it regardless, the evolution filter is a fantastic oscillator so i have faith. trident though does seem like its made for people who really love hard sync sounds, at least thats %90 of the demos ive seen. Id love to hear other self patched ways of using it without hard sync, although im likely not in the market anyway
deftinwulf
Dragonaut wrote:

I, for one, can't tell you how ready I am for this. Between this and the Dove WTF, things are getting really cool, really fast. nanners
jmax313
Looks promising. Excited to hear more
2disbetter
Personally, I like the sandbox-y nature of the Trident. You have 3 independent oscillators, or 2 and 1, or 1 out of 3. When you consider that it is 3 oscillators, that means 10hp per oscillator, it a very space conscious module as well. Combined with other modules there just seems to be a lot this module could do.

I love Rossum modules. The engineering always just shines on them, and the build quality is next level.

Wish spring wasn't so far away.
tiger001
damase wrote:
I know i would love it regardless, the evolution filter is a fantastic oscillator so i have faith.

can you elaborate a bit how you use the evolution as an oscillator please?
2disbetter
tiger001 wrote:
damase wrote:
I know i would love it regardless, the evolution filter is a fantastic oscillator so i have faith.

can you elaborate a bit how you use the evolution as an oscillator please?

Resonance. It self oscillates and is very stable and tracks well. In fact according to their own website the filter is built to such an exacting standard that it rivals many actual oscillators in the eurorack format. I admittedly have not ever used it as an oscillator.
peripatitis
I've used it to fm other oscillators and indeed it works very nice plus when self oscillating you can use the species as a vca.
It is an brilliant filter, built probably better than any module I've seen in euro.
tiger001
yes i know it self oscilates but i just get an annoying beep from it when i do that

so how do i track it to get notes out of it?
damase
tiger001 wrote:
yes i know it self oscilates but i just get an annoying beep from it when i do that

so how do i track it to get notes out of it?

sequence into v/oct input is all it is, nothing special
adjusting the species makes for cool subtle tone changes when FMing another oscillator. enveloping the genus every once in a while can be cool too
tiger001
ok thx
ben_hex
I've had the pleasure of having a play around with this for a few days and wanting to make a video just to share my literal first patch with just exploring the initial zing, phase, symmetry mods. More to come.

https://youtu.be/eKu_j6MfZC4

"This was a real highlight of the NAMM 2019 footage (I wasn't there personally) and just the thought of a triple oscillator from Dave Rossum (previously of E-Mu, now Rossum Electro-Music) is enough to be excited about. Trident brings in "zing" modulation which is ring modulation with in sync (that's the key for musical / harmonious tones and less so clangorous ones) oscillators, symmetry and phase modulation options and plenty of control and CV inputs to really animate things. So this was the first patch I made when it when into the case and I just wanted to share that right away to show off some of the raw tones and some patches ideas with dual layer LPG control and a little pepper of FX in the background. Full demo coming around the release."
Dragonaut
ben_hex wrote:
I've had the pleasure of having a play around with this for a few days and wanting to make a video just to share my literal first patch with just exploring the initial zing, phase, symmetry mods. More to come.

Ok, so this is more like what I was hoping to hear out of this module. Unfortunately Dave's video focuses a lot on the upper range of the pitch spectrum which I don't think really shows off what kind of sounds a module like this is capable of. I won't have room for a module like this for a while but it's workflow has given me great results when I replicated it in Bazille.
Dogma
Does this do through-zero?
Marco Alpert
Dogma wrote:
Does this do through-zero?

No, these are not through-zero oscillators.
thetwlo
ben_hex wrote:
I've had the pleasure of having a play around with this for a few days and

sounds fantastic!!! thumbs up
prophonic
ben_hex wrote:
Trident brings in "zing" modulation which is ring modulation with in sync (that's the key for musical / harmonious tones and less so clangorous ones) oscillators, symmetry and phase modulation options and plenty of control and CV inputs to really animate things. So this was the first patch I made when it when into the case and I just wanted to share that right away to show off some of the raw tones and some patches ideas with dual layer LPG control and a little pepper of FX in the background. Full demo coming around the release."

I enjoyed your video very much, that patch was nuts! I wonder about one thing, is Trident also capable of the softer 'acoustic' side ?
Friendly Morton Subotnick atonality if you will.

By that i don't mean 3 triangle waves next to each other with no modulation, i mean an organic 'living' sound with lots of weird things going on, but without becoming abrasive or metallic. Instead soft, wooly, thick, muffled sounds with modulations and small peculiarities here and there.

Compared to a Buchla 258 there is no sine wave and i am not sure if AM is possible within the module itself, is it ?
Are wavefolding and waveshaping doable or is zing modulation giving similar results ?
ianross
I know this defeats all the cool features but i'd love to hear a demo with all three oscillators tuned together for that 3 osc moog type thing.

Also, does anyone know if these oscillators are saw core or triangle core?
Marco Alpert
Just dropping by to give a heads up that the Trident manual and Quick Start Guide have been posted to our website, along with a discussion by Dave about the inspirations that lead him to develop Trident.

Tridents will be heading to our dealers later this week.

Trident.
tiger001
do the attenuverters have a dent/stop @ the 0 postion?
is the 1V/oct input callibrated for -5 -> +5V like all other Rossum modules?
Marco Alpert
tiger001 wrote:
do the attenuverters have a dent/stop @ the 0 postion?
is the 1V/oct input callibrated for -5 -> +5V like all other Rossum modules?

The attenuverters do not have a detent at 0.

The 1V/Oct inputs can accept at least +/-10V. The actual range is limited by the range of the oscillators. You can't drive them higher than 25kHz, but they can go extremely low.
mdoudoroff
Impressive.

Dragonaut
DEAR GOD
anselmi
mdoudoroff wrote:
Impressive.

Sounds a lot like my VCO-2RM self-patched
mdoudoroff
anselmi wrote:
Sounds a lot like my VCO-2RM self-patched

Makes sense. The waveform symmetry manipulation is also similar to Just Friends.

Watching the Trident video sent me to my modular last night to tinker with syncing three AJH VCOs and running them through the AJH ring mod. While that was fun, the modulation opportunities presented by Trident just aren’t there.
Hidden_Path
mdoudoroff wrote:

Great, now that video made me want this AND a Stereo Dipole...
matttech
well these look super nice in the flesh!! Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love

Funky40
the module soundet much more interesting than i thought it would. (in Bens Demo)

must have been a Natural gate that was used in Bens demo right ?
not to underrate what its doing with that type of sounds wink
Dragonaut
Ben’s video showed me that this module is indeed capable of the sounds I thought it would produce. Lots of potential justifying all that space.
tommygee
Anyone got this yet ? It does sound a bit bright to my ears judging from youtube videos - even compared to my Cs-L.
stujay18
I was considering the instruo cs-l, but this has seriously gotten my attention. Has anyone used them, or at least play with them, both? If so, thoughts?
Fabong
Enjoyed the divkid demo. Will be following this topic.
bemushroomed
I really don't care for the design of the module.. what a mess. why put patch points so close to knobs etc.. at first glance it looks like someone randomly dropped knobs and patch points onto a plate and then decided to just go with it.

Sound is pretty nice from what i've heard though.
Marco Alpert
Here's another sound demo, by our good friend András Eichstaedt who helped us out with demos at Superbooth.

onthelees
bemushroomed wrote:
I really don't care for the design of the module.. what a mess. why put patch points so close to knobs etc.. at first glance it looks like someone randomly dropped knobs and patch points onto a plate and then decided to just go with it.

Sound is pretty nice from what i've heard though.

I can see where you are coming from - but at least everything is labelled and legible. Cant't say that about some modules I can think of. I would have liked to have seen things laid out vertically, rather than horizontally with patch points at the bottom.
MindMachine
If it was laid out vertically instead of horizontally it would have seemed strange to me. I like the layout. There seems to be ample room. It's not as crowded as some other modules.

It sounds real good. I really like the recent Rossum modules (Linnaeus, Trident and Panharmonium).

Just need to decide which to get first.
jmax313
Marco Alpert wrote:
Here's another sound demo, by our good friend András Eichstaedt who helped us out with demos at Superbooth.

#8 was cool!
dubonaire
MindMachine wrote:
I really like the recent Rossum modules (Linnaeus, Trident and Panharmonium).

Me too. Trident into Linnaeus is instant techno. Panharmonium is incredibly cool I'm just not sure it fits in my sonic palette.
js213
Just ordered one of these. Wanting a complex oscillator to pair with my ER-101 as both a single voice and multiple. The DivKid video sold me on it.
pekbro
It's great imho, but yeah a little cramped for those with big fingers. As an oscillator it's super precise and tight. thumbs up
Futuresound
dubonaire wrote:

Me too. Trident into Linnaeus is instant techno.

I've been wanting to hear this exact combo, do you have any samples?
dubonaire
Futuresound wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Me too. Trident into Linnaeus is instant techno.

I've been wanting to hear this exact combo, do you have any samples?

I don't. It was a thought experiment. SlayerBadger!
Futuresound
thumbs up
tuj
Picked up a Trident on a whim a few weeks ago. Absolutely shocked. Was not expecting zing to sound like it does. Absolutely amazing. The harmonics are incredible and just like described; a harmonic ring-mod. Brilliant.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4