MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HELLO! first post and looking... I ORDERED MY SYSTEM!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author HELLO! first post and looking... I ORDERED MY SYSTEM!!!
redroomrecordings
dougcl wrote:
It seems to me this thread is an excellent starting point

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2104

Have a look at what folks here would do with just one rack for maximum flexibility.

good call, i'll ready through in a momment.

I just had my first attempt at designing my own system. Let me know what you guys thing, if there is something specific I should add, replace, or remove...as it is it would be sitting at a very nice price for me and i would be able to get it sooner than i would have the pre built system.

here we go:

A-100 G6 Case
Livewire AFG
Livewire frequensteiner
Livewire Dual Cyclotron
A-140 ASDR
A-131 VCA
A-190 Midi
A-180 Multi
dkcg
redroomrecordings wrote:

A-100 G6 Case
Livewire AFG
Livewire frequensteiner
Livewire Dual Cyclotron
A-140 ASDR
A-131 VCA
A-190 Midi

A-132-3 is a better VCA with lin and log. audio sound great through it, and CVs work well in lin mode.

Cyclotron is cool, but it takes up a LOT of space quick. I love mine, but find myself using my D-LFO much more often now. It's different tho than a Cyclotron.

A-140 is decent for a start, you may look at some of the MFB gear too, fairly cheap, small footprint.

A-190, sure you want to take up valuable rack space? smile I use the Kenton ProSolo, works awesome, even translates midi clock to pulses of several variety.

I started this last summer in euro format, become an addict quite quickly. Here's my path o doom.

1. TResonator bought, then moogerfoogers, built a Paia kit, this was the gateway drug.
2. Bought a PlanB System, one of the first out of their new store.
3. Bought an empty case to fit my Superpsycho LFO (it's huge too).
4. Filled that case.
5. Tried a cwejman, bought another case and more modules.
6. I stand with my wallet much thinner than it was 6 months ago... grin
surachai
Wow, I really wish this forum existed before I bought my modular as most if not all of my modules have been replaced. The list you have going right now redroom is what I wish what I could've started with! That looks great! You might want to (if they're available) look into some more modulation sources like the Livewire Dalek / Vulcan or even more utility modules like the A-143-3 Doepfer Quad LFO. Don't forget A-180 Mults and a mixer.
Also, I would suggest replacing the A-131 VCA with a A-132 Dual VCA, it'll save you space and give you an extra VCA but you'll be sacrificing a few controls that honestly, I never use. If you're still insistent on the more options and flexibility of a A-131, send me a message and I'll sell you mine!
redroomrecordings
thanks guys...about the A-132, since it has no volume control im not sure how it would work...just a full level out which you would control via your outboard mixer?

and i think i'll add a multiple to the list.

I should also point out that im not worried about large modules, although they may take up rack space i like the idea of larger modules, and that was the main reason i was first drawn to the 5U format stuff.

another thing, and im sure im not the only one here is that i want to keep the system looking somewhat consistent. I probably wont be adding modules with different faceplate covers and such, unless they are really awesome.
Kent
Here's a favorite of mine that packs a mighty punch in a little package. Much like what my wife says about my underpants.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/sy02.htm

Complete with soundfile: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/audio/SY02Demo160K b.mp3

The input level, to the filter, lets you drive the filter if you wish to do so; and it sounds damn good. It's a bit like the 'drive' control on the input to the Moogerfooger pedals.

You will need a mixer at some point. Probably another one for CVs too, but you can worry about that later. Worry about this now; Cwejman has too many damn good choices:

http://cwejman.net/cwejman.net/vca-4mx.htm

http://cwejman.net/cwejman.net/ins-4.htm

http://cwejman.net/cwejman.net/mx-4s.htm
Kent
Here's another one from Analogue Solutions that could save you some space.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/sy03.htm
surachai
Quote:
about the A-132, since it has no volume control im not sure how it would work...just a full level out which you would control via your outboard mixer?

You are correct. The A-131 can act like a 2 channel mixer and yes you can control the volume of the output but I usually like to mix with one module rather than separate points of the signal flow.
chimologic
The harvestman polyvoks is a pretty killer lowpass/bandpass filter and also has 2 input mixer in there....
sandyb
redroomrecordings wrote:
but more stuff like mixers...i am sure i NEED some sort of mixer for the output at the end of the chain, but who knows. Either way i'm sure this is something i'd want so i can control an output level....can you guys recommend what you think is the best mixer, i'd like something that has panning and a stereo signal if possible.

looks like a nice system you're planning! as far as mixers go it maybe depends on how much you want to spend. the cwejman mx4s is a 4 channel device with voltage control of panning etc - it costs a bit, although not over the top considering what it does:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/cwejman/mx4s/

a bit cheaper is the combination i use which is a Plan B model 9 mixer (which has two separate channels) in combination with a doepfer A134 panner/crossfader. works well. i think at some point i'll spring for the cwejman though as i like the idea of having it all in the one module.

http://www.noisebug.net/site/planb/index.cfm?id=5

http://www.doepfer.de/a134.htm

sandy
zerosum
Quote:
i've decided that i don't need any more VA's or softies in my setup as all my basses in those departments are very well covered, redundant even.

Thats a good observation, congrats 8)

Quote:
Some I will never get rid of though (virus c and ti, vsynth, waldorf xtk and blofeld, est)...but the slew of low range va's like the ms2000, 8080, and k-station are goin' on the bay asap.

In my opinion, the virus negates the need for more VA's, unless they are around for centimental reasons.
I enjoy working with the Virus a lot, the effects can be routed to modulation options(LFO to sample rate reduction, etc), there are plenty of waveshapes, and it sounds good and is a pleasure to use, no need to try and get something else to do the same thing(s), that money can be better spent elsewhere(as you have concluded).

Quote:
i full expect to get completely frustrated and take possibly hours to even come up with something remotely usable or interesting on a modular

In my experience the simplest things reward me with great smiles 8)
Things don't have to be complicated or "formulated"(this must go here, this must go there, etc...) to produce inspiring results.
Just play the game of sticking cables in the holes, then observe what is happening to the sound when you do it.

I think you would really love some random voltage generators that produce strange modulations for those alien communication moments.

good luck thumbs up
redroomrecordings
you guys are awesome! thanks again.

now to get my ass in gear and post some synths on ebay so i can buy some modules.
dkcg
redroomrecordings wrote:

either way my question of what IS necessary is more based towards utility modules, not VCOs and VCAs est, but more stuff like mixers...i am sure i NEED some sort of mixer for the output at the end of the chain, but who knows. Either way i'm sure this is something i'd want so i can control an output level....can you guys recommend what you think is the best mixer, i'd like something that has panning and a stereo signal if possible.

I LOVE my Cwejman MX-4S. It doubles as a VCA for me too. Cwejman also makes a stereo ringmod that can double as a panner, although with much less control than the MX4S. The PlanB Model9, as someone mentioned, can be used as a 2 channel output mixer, but I wouldn't call it stereo, it's got no pan unless you send in a panned signal, the output is either A or B or neither (whe, but it's great for mixing signals and CVs. I use mine as a premix for the mx4s and as a 4 channel mixer/attenuator, it's very handy.
MrDys
redroomrecordings wrote:
another thing, and im sure im not the only one here is that i want to keep the system looking somewhat consistent. I probably wont be adding modules with different faceplate covers and such, unless they are really awesome.

I'm really going to have to beg you to get over this sooner rather than later. You're going to miss out on a lot of really excellent modules (the upcoming metasonix modules, for instance) if you continue to hold this stance.

I understand the anal retentive desire for it to look 'nice', but past a certain point, you've got to ask yourself whether you have a modular as a nice piece of furniture, or whether you have a modular as something to make noise with.
felix
You'll have to get over it anyway because even modules from the same manufacturer can have a slightly different shade of silver faceplate.

Once you're actually patching, you start to care less and less on how it looks.
wetterberg
yeah mate, aim towards getting really pretty patch cables, and lots of them, soon you won't be able to see much of your modules anyhoo.
dougcl
felix wrote:
You'll have to get over it anyway because even modules from the same manufacturer can have a slightly different shade of silver faceplate.

Once you're actually patching, you start to care less and less on how it looks.

Better yet, you'll start to love the way it looks!
dkcg
Kwote wrote:
if you must get a preselected system just make sure you sell off what you ultimately won't use and replace it with better stuff.

I totally agree. When I started my euro system, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't buy a system to only sell off and rebuy another system. Took my time, listening to demos, watching videos, reading posts in forums like this one, etc. The hardest part to get over is that there really are very few places you can go try out a module before buying it. I was lucky enough to have the designer himself, Peter Grenader demo the system for me, and once I heard that big fat ringing "whup whup whup" of the FMed M15s going through a M12 and M13, I knew I had to have them. grin

I ended up getting a Doepfer case filled with 90% PlanB modules (one Doepfer ribbon controller module in the mix). That being said, I still have every single one of the original case modules, and paired up a couple. It was pricey, more than I'd ever spent on any instrument (even my Dobro), but I'm glad I spent time in deciding what to get instead of jumping into a prebuilt system. Although, PlanB has way less modules than Doepfer or Asys, so it wasn't too hard to fill a case with one of each and a pair of M15s.

Part of going modular, to me, is making that leap of faith into the unknown, especially since most people don't know too many other people with modulars. The hardest part is finding the limit to how big it should/could grow. lol
wetterberg
I think the "suggested systems" suck ass, and catering to either a) those who want "VCO, VCF, VCA, Env, LFO period" and "Ooh, a big theremin" only is a bunch of doohicky wink

Take the time, scope out the interesting modules you would like to experience and buy those. And only those. Don't buy things to sell them at 75% a few weeks later... that's a VERY expensive way to run a modular (I'm looking at you, Bakis!)
redroomrecordings
Alright! items up on ebay to fund the modular. As soon as they sell I'm sending in the order. Hopefully I get my BIN prices for everything, if so it will pretty much pay for the modular order exactly. and if they don't sell, well i guess i could pick up an extra, small contract at work and bust my balls for a few days to pay for it.

wish me luck

and if anyone is interested here is my "final" decision on what im getting:

dkcg
I would get the A-132-3 instead of the A-131, you get lin and exp mode so it's great for audio or CVs, but you lose a couple input options, I think 2 VCAs makes up for it. And a linear mixer would be better for mixing CVs, it doesn't look like you have a lot of audio to mix yet so the lin may come in more handy.

ADSRs, I really like the RS-60 a lot since it can self cycle giving you a nice LFO, and the output level is polarized, giving you an inverted envelope, but it does cost more than the doepfer, but I think it's worth it. You may need an attenuator for the cyclotron's output, there's no output level dial, I hardly ever run mine straight into anything w/o a attenuated input since it can get pretty wild. you should be able to get some far out sounds with the livewire stuff. smile

Might want to look into a Dalek next...
timmah
I'd get the plan B model 9 as it is a mixer and an attenuator, instead of the doepfer. You might want to consider other options to the AFG and dual cyclotron, although they are really good, they take up a lot of your precious rack space.
def get the 132-3 instead of the 131.
dougcl
I don't really get the appeal of the dual cyclotron. It has nothing to patch, it's huge, and what now, no output attenuation? What's ulitmately underneath all of that? A couple of LFO's?
redroomrecordings
dkcg wrote:
I would get the A-132-3 instead of the A-131, you get lin and exp mode so it's great for audio or CVs, but you lose a couple input options, I think 2 VCAs makes up for it. And a linear mixer would be better for mixing CVs, it doesn't look like you have a lot of audio to mix yet so the lin may come in more handy.

ADSRs, I really like the RS-60 a lot since it can self cycle giving you a nice LFO, and the output level is polarized, giving you an inverted envelope, but it does cost more than the doepfer, but I think it's worth it. You may need an attenuator for the cyclotron's output, there's no output level dial, I hardly ever run mine straight into anything w/o a attenuated input since it can get pretty wild. you should be able to get some far out sounds with the livewire stuff. smile

Might want to look into a Dalek next...

yea, the livewire stuff is what's really getting me excited so i will probably try to get the rest of their modules over time.
felix
I would agree with dkcg and timmah on getting the A-132-3 over the 131.

I'd also second dkcg suggestion of an EG that can self-cycle (retrigger itself). But, that really depends on wether or not you are going to be playing this from a keyboard...aka, do you care about the Sustain and Release stages.

Based on the collection of key'd synths that you already have, a regular ADSR will likely suit you better for now. But self-cycling EGs, like the aforementioned RS-60 or the Plan B M10 are awesome.

I can't quite tell which A-138 you have there, but I would highly recommend the 138c bipolar mixer. Mixing the various waveform outputs of the AFG is a lot more interesting when you can phase invert any of them.
redroomrecordings
timmah wrote:
I'd get the plan B model 9 as it is a mixer and an attenuator, instead of the doepfer. You might want to consider other options to the AFG and dual cyclotron, although they are really good, they take up a lot of your precious rack space.
def get the 132-3 instead of the 131.

i'm not too worried about rack space as i will be buying a second 6u rack fairly quickly. i know it may seem sort of stupid but i actually like the idea of larger more spaced out modules, seems more inviting and easier to work with.

as for the 131 vs 132-3 thing, that is where i get very confused. i had put the 131 in there to be the main out for the system...do i not need to do this? im confused because the 132-3 only has cv outs and not audio outs. the whole cv signal vs audio signal thing is something i will be confused about until i get something in my hands to play with.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3