MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Thunder: Buchla + Sensel Morph
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Thunder: Buchla + Sensel Morph
rkilman
Interesting...

https://sensel.com/collections/all/products/morph-with-buchla-thunder- overlay

Nice price too.
Minimoog56
Is this an iPad app or hardware? Very confusing website. Feh.
ryangaston
Minimoog56
It’s definitely hardware—but I haven’t surmised yet of there’s a software backend for all of the Thunder’s internal capabilities? Interesting collaboration, either way
Kent
It's an overlay of some sort that goes on a touch surface of some type.
tIB
From the little I know Morph does MPE - they state the following:

Unmatched pressure sensitivity
Per-note pressure, pitch bend, and timbre (MPE)

I don't think it's going to be as fully configurable as the thunder (assuming that is the same as the 222e?) but I'm interested to find out.

Be amazing if someone could write a custom firmware/software back end for it integrating all the thunder did (or they already did!).
tIB
Reading on it apparently has 9 presets selectable by the middle button and their app thingy is fully configurable - I'm very interested!
tIB
Trying to work out whether the sensel app will allow multiple channels of midi (it will but not sure how allocated), user defined CC's for each channel and pitch allocation per pad - I'd be really interested to know how configurable I could make this...
sonicaddiction
Do you think there are any plans to update the 225e to support the Sensel Morph (and similar) kind of multi dimensional input? I'm not sure how well for instance portamento and pitchbend work via the internal bus at the moment.
tIB
I keep meaning to try my Linnstrument through the buckle so I'll try to update once I've done that. I can see how it would work fine monophonically but I'm not sure about polyphony.
sonicaddiction
Is anyone using a similar pressure sensitive touch device with the 225e at the moment. I couldn't really find any good info while searching.

It seems like it would work using the internal bus for pitch and other CC-data through the J-P busses but I'm not sure how the limitations of the 225e, and maybe even the MIDI-protocol in general, would work in reality.
Knarzwaltz
I dont understand.. is it a stand alone controller which can be configured and used without a computer or ?? is this just aesthetics... the edges of C and P is already cut to fit... Im confused.
ArguZ
I just hope the surface is not too high friction.
The other control surfaces look they are moch press that slide oriented.
rkilman
more info with videos here:

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-sensel-morph-buchla-thunder-overlay -midi-and-mpe-controller/
gigasturtz
hmmm, with the MPE i'm curious if this would be fun and useful to use with Deckard's Dream...
Synesthesia
I use a Buchla format MUC-810 for my midi in my system. if i can multiple channel out of this things... it would be great!
Synesthesia
i love the look of it.
ryangaston
i love the look of it too! i've been vying for a new thunder for ages (almost bought a vintage one around a year ago but missed out Dead Banana )

and this has me re-thinking the sensel morph altogether...seems from videos now like there's not a plan to add all of the thunder OS's features to the morph itself, but one could certainly spin up an application for riff recording and all the other thunder oddities. maybe i'll snag one and make a gnarly Max patch of it cool
drewskee
The Sensel is a touch sensitive surface that gets reconfigured based on a magnetic rubberized overlay. One is a keyboard kind of like the Qunexus another is a LIVE controller. It has Bluetooth but not long battery life so it’s usb powered to the computer.

Having had a couple of Thunders it’s hard to imagine they have recreated all the amazing features of the Thunder. It’s more likely (hunch) this is a Buchla thunder inspired keyboard which moves you into a custom app to achieve to defining what note each key plays and various controller outputs: pressure, location, velocity.

The Sensel is very robust metal and quite sensitive, sleek and reconfigurable. I played it last year at NAMM and liked it quite a bit. Would be great if it could be both USB powered and do Bluetooth separately but Bluetooth is only useable when battery powered. Either way this is cool to see!
Kent
I approached this very skeptically. I'm a Thunder owner and thought "nah...."

Honestly, it is cool. It's a good solution for playing soft synths. It doesn't do everything that Thunder does but does the core stuff really well. It's around $249 and is worth looking into. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's not for me, as I've a Thunder, 223e, Linnstrument, etc, but it is valid enough to look into if this this is your kind of thing. The glissando feature is nice.
Knarzwaltz
Kent wrote:
I approached this very skeptically. I'm a Thunder owner and thought "nah...."

Honestly, it is cool. It's a good solution for playing soft synths. It doesn't do everything that Thunder does but does the core stuff really well. It's around $249 and is worth looking into. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's not for me, as I've a Thunder, 223e, Linnstrument, etc, but it is valid enough to look into if this this is your kind of thing. The glissando feature is nice.

What is the most important thing you think its missing compare to The real Thunder?
Kent
Nothing all that 'important' really. You can't record your 'gestures' like you can on the Thunder. We played around a bit with trying to get the X/Y joystick pads to act as dials like one can do on the Thunder. I'm not certain that this is possible but it could be.
One can't split the keys to have "Key 11a" and "Key 11b".

It is much smaller.

There is no "Thunder Pot" but I don't think that this is necessary due the manner in which the Sensel can be configured. Just make one.

It does retain the functionality of being able to save and recall preset configurations.
elmerfudd
Gee, Thanks Kent. Pushed me right over the edge there, just pre-ordered one......Really was just waiting for a Thunder user to say 'this doesn't totally suck', did not expect a cool rating!
Knarzwaltz
Thanks for the answer Kent. So its closer to the 222/223e than original Thunder ...limitations is understandable.... but I really want the original. Would be great if BUSA made a updated one.
But a Sensel it will be......can't resist...must try it... Damn!
divisionbyzero
the 222e touch surface was always intended to become a usb controller - the chipset used has an unused usb port, and in later models there was also another spot for a separate uc that did osc conversion (another project that worked but was never finished). also some versions of the board say "thunder 2" or "thunder 3" on them.

i also think the overlay setup is interesting - at one point we talked about doing an ipad thunder. don's two objections were multi-touch (which i guess isn't an issue now in ios?) and feel. we looked into getting static plastic outlines made to sit on the screen so that you'd have tactile feedback about where your fingers are but yet again, another project never finished.
Phil999
I had the exact same iPad project in mind, including the plastic or cardboard outline. Lemur as programmable app. It's not too bad if you have the iPad or phone in front of you. One can use simple sliders, or do a nice surface with html canvas graphics.

I have also a QuNeo controller. Each pad can have a distinct CC number for pressure, the same for each four corners. And faders. So it's actually still my best performance controller for modular, next to the R2M Ribbon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2