MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Book: Treatise on Musical Objects by Pierre Schaeffer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Book: Treatise on Musical Objects by Pierre Schaeffer
101010oxo
I hope this is not redundant but I wanted to recommend a book that has only been available in English for a couple of years if I am not mistaken:

Treatise on Musical Objects: An Essay across Disciplines (California Studies in 20th-Century Music) by Pierre Schaeffer

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520294301/treatise-on-musical-objects

Very deep and interesting read, maybe a bit much (for me!) at some points but truly a treasure!

suboptimal
I'm always up for a good book recommendation. Looks really interesting.
pixelmechanic
Ah, I didn't realise this was out... great!!

Have Dack's translation of Schaeffer's In Search of a Concrete Music already...
D_Robot
Having read In Search of a Concrete Music and really appreciating the significance of Pierre Schaeffer's work, Treatise on Musical Objects is sitting in front of me.

I'm alternating between Schaffer and Curtis Roads. Microsound is a fantastically informative read and I am currently working my way through Composing Electronic Music. However, 101010oxo's endorsement makes me think I'm going to have to move home as currently the train journey to work is too short to get through these other tomes quick enough to get on to this one...
lauprellim
Another good book is “Listening Through the Noise: The Aesthetics of Experimental Electronic Music” by Joanna Demers. She writes quite a bit about Shaeffer’s theories particularly those relating to “reduced listening”.
oberdada
Dack's translation took quite some time, and then he had difficulties finding a publisher, so I'm happy it's finally out. I think there is also a (poor) Spanish translation, but for years everybody seemed to think, this stuff is just too difficult to render in English!

I read the French original many years ago and always recommend it (or the translation). Michel Chion's Guide des objets sonores (also available in English, I think) and the Solfège des objets sonores with its sound examples are other useful sources.
SmartBits
Depending on location, the Book Depository is a bit cheaper (€30,58 at the moment and no shipping cost):

https://www.bookdepository.com/Treatise-on-Musical-Objects-Pierre-Scha effer/9780520294301?ref=grid-view&qid=1548936001959&sr=1-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1