MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

hdmi to visual cortex
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author hdmi to visual cortex
Un1 Piano
Hi, I was wondering if any of you could help. Im trying to run an HDMI signal
from a PC into my visual cortex via a Portta HDMI to YPbPr RGB convertor. All I seem to get is an extremely noisy, distorted image.

I've run through screen resolutions and progressive/interlaced settings on my PC with no luck and the Porta is working as I've run a signal directly from the PC to a monitor. It seems to be when its directed through the visual cortex.

Any ideas much appreciated

Jon
nerdware
I also failed to get a lock using that device. I found a bunch of other cheap devices that also failed. However, a very cheap HDMI->Composite converter into a Composite->Component converter worked perfectly. That's obviously less ideal, but it worked. If/when I want a better quality conversion, I'll try an HDMI->SDI converter into an SDI->Component converter. I have the latter but not (yet) the former, so I can't give you a definite solution.

BTW, I think the old TBC module may have had difficulty locking on to the output from the HDMI->Composite converter mentioned above. ISTR my solution was to run it thru a V-4 mixer. However, I only tried that configuration once, so I can't say for sure my memory of that is clear. I hope the DVI inputs on the Orion series TBC2 can handle HDMI via a simple adapter, or that the Composite in on the TBC2 can handle awkward signals better than the Visionary series module.

So I can recommend picking up a cheap video mixer with a builtin TBC. Even a basic single-TBC mixer may be able to clean up a poor composite signal. That alone won't help you get an HDMI signal into your video synth, but may help with one of the steps toward a solution, as I found.

Good luck.
nangu
I seem to remember that this one was semi-officially recommended by LZX at some point, and it works great for me:

Universal Premium Quality HDMI to Component Video Converter with RCA L/R & Optical Audio Outputs | Support 480i, 720P, 1080i & 1080P Video Output PAL & NTSC | Model: H2CS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LVMAWG/
nerdware
Yes, I've yet to find one of those. They seem to be unavailable in the UK. I can find similar devices, but I've already spent too much time and money trying to find one that works with LZX. I just gave up on HDMI. Since then, I've acquired a Blackmagic Design SDI->Component converter, which can also downscale, and they now have a cheap HDMI->SDI converter. So if/when I spend any more time and money on HDMI, that's the device I'll get.

But YMMV. If you live in the US, definitely try the recommended device first.
Un1 Piano
I think the problem may be that my NVIDEA graphics card doesn't support 480i as a resolution.

Although I didn't manage to get a signal from my PC the work around I settled on is to export the video material from my computer then run it on a Sony Media Player > Portta > LZX. Once I set the output resolution on the media player to 480i it all worked perfectly.

Although Im not 100% sure the graphics card resolution was the problem it seems the most likely cause at the moment. Thanks for your input though, its all good to know.

Jon
nerdware
Yes, I think you'll need a downscaler to send regular computer video signals into your video synth. I've had success with a Kramer vp501xl VGA->composite/s-video converter and a TV One-Task DVI->component/composite/s-video converter. I got super-lucky with both devices, finding them cheap on ebay, esp the latter. The TV-One DVI converters are amazing but normally very expensive. They're overkill for just feeding a computer's video into a videosynth, but as I said...I got super-lucky.

Unlike the TV One-Task, the Kramer VGA converter can easily be found cheap on ebay, and it'll also function as a test-pattern generator when there's no VGA input. So if you have a computer with VGA output, that's what I'd recommend using. An old machine with only VGA output would be perfect for this job, so long as it can play video.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1