MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia MicroFreak
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Arturia MicroFreak
SPIKE the Percussionist
found on FB via Control Voltage...

Arturia MicroFreak: experimental hybrid synth, a blend of wavetable and digital oscillators with an analog filter, PCB poly-aftertouch flat keybed.

Estimated street $299, ETA: unknown atm

#namm2019

additional info i just found...

Here’s what they have to say about it:

Whether you’re looking for your first, affordable hardware synth or are collector looking for original sounds and unique interface, MicroFreak is the synth you need.

This out-there little music machine features a versatile digital oscillator so you can create rare and interesting sounds with ease. Modes like Texturer, KarplusStrong, Harmonic OSC, and Superwave give adventurous musicians the chance to explore totally new, unheard possibilities. Like having dozens of synths in just one instrument, both wild-eyed newcomers and seasoned professionals will fall in love with MicroFreak’s flexible, powerful synth engine.

MicroFreak packs so much in to such a compact instrument, you’ll wonder how we did it. We’d love to say it was magic, but it was pure skill and passion.

Features:

Synthesizer with 192 preset slots and 128 factory presets
11 Digital oscillator with variable mode, including collaborations with Mutable Instruments
Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
ADSR envelope
Cycling Envelope offering two modes
Envelope
LFO
LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
Monophonic or Paraphonic modes – Up to 4 voices
25-key capacitive keybed with polyphonic aftertouch
Capacitive touch strip
Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
Powerful arpeggiator
Up, Order, Random, Pattern modes
Spice & Dice Gate randomizers
64-step sequencer
2 patterns per preset
4 automation tracks per preset
CV / Gate / Mod outputs
USB, Clock and MIDI in and out
6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output
mcnys
this is collab with Mutable Instruments btw!!wink
Panason
Well, that looks really cool. Looks like there's both an arpeggiator and a sequencer onboard. $299 is pretty good if it sounds good. Hopefully the filter is better than previous Arturia offerings but at the price it's not a huge deal.
SPIKE the Percussionist
mcnys wrote:

NEATO!
i did not know that!

now i REALLY want one.
evil
Panason
mcnys wrote:

Ahh that explains the styling and makes it even more interesting.
visible cow
If this puts out polyphonic midi (and I don't see why it wouldn't) I think I'll have to grab one.
pichenettes
Panason wrote:
mcnys wrote:

Ahh that explains the styling.

I have a peculiar taste, but god, not that kind of peculiar.
anselmi

[/img]
hermbot
That looks amazing.
tenembre
That looks fun.

Maybe they will get around to adding microtuning support, but that doesn't seem to be on Arturia's radar sad banana

There's a screen for a menu, so there's no reason they can't.
Panason
I think I would eventually put black tape over that floral graphic in the middle because I'm too hardcore for such poncy embellishments . meh

Also, that chavvy looking guy in the video... argghhh he looks exactly like the ASBO type ....

Quote:

the adjectives chavvy, chavvish and chavtastic have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
h4ndcrafted
Love the graphics, looks interesting.
Monotremata
Thank god they didn't go with the same Steiner filter in everything else. The one in my Microbrute flat out sucks. Their SEM and Matrix 12 plugs aren't bad, hopefully they nailed it with the hardware.
deftinwulf
visible cow wrote:
If this puts out polyphonic midi (and I don't see why it wouldn't) I think I'll have to grab one.

Not just midi, polyphonic aftertouch.

Quote:
"Will it let you be expressive? Of course, it’s not only pressure sensitive, but also offers poly-aftertouch. This means each key can control parameters in a different way depending on how much you touch.

You can also use its USB, MIDI, and CV outputs to control instruments in your DAW and modular synths. This also means that you can also use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch with cutting edge software instruments."

^ Right from their store page.

I am DEFINITELY buying one. So stoked.
Luap
I had a feeling Pichenettes had been up to something wink (Or, umm, not as the case may be with this?)

Still, It seems like a very nice synth regardless though..
rean1mator
looks horrendous but with a Mutable involvement I"m sure it will sound great. I'm wondering how much involvement Émilie had in the overall design of the final product. I hope alot!

Can't wait to hear some demo's. Pricepoint is spot on as well. I'm sure they will sell a ton of these.

anselmi wrote:

[/img]
emilng
very interesting, but not on my must buy list. it would only go up there if you could modify all the parameters via midi
UnderDriven
An interesting product, and a good move for Arturia. Digital oscillators (n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶a̶b̶o̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶M̶u̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶I̶n̶s̶t̶r̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶), new keyboard design with poly aftertouch (assuming it works well), 4 voices, SEM-type filter (stepping away from the Steiner-Parker), mod matrix (including modulators that can modulate each other).

It might have been nice to have a little more modular connectivity (mini patch bay?), but I guess they thought pitch, gate, and pressure outputs were sufficient. A bit surprised there is no audio input.

Still, it should sell well. If I hadn't recently ventured into modular I would probably have bought one--maybe in a year or two...

Edit: After learning that Emilie Gillet had no involvement with the MicroFreak, I have no intention of buying this or any other Arturia product. I have written Arturia to express my indignation. I doubt they will care, but I have no intention of supporting this type of deceptive business practice.
starthief
Monotremata wrote:
Thank god they didn't go with the same Steiner filter in everything else. The one in my Microbrute flat out sucks.

Counterpoint: I fucking love the filter in the Microbrute and it works perfectly with the triangle VCO.

But this looks like a totally new thing, and that would be welcome too, if only it were any good.

The promo video is unwatchable, and the sounds as it sits in a background tab are not selling it.
pichenettes
Quote:
I'm wondering how much involvement Émilie had in the overall design of the final product.

None.
lud

Worst demo video EVER!!!!!
Pugilistas
Yeah. I feel sorry for that guy in the video. He apparently has great trouble using more than one finger on each of his hands.

Video doesn't sell me. Though it might be cultural or generational issues. Still looks like an interesting synth to investigate though.
SteeVtheRipper
Looks pretty interesting. More interesting to me than anything else in their lineup tbh. Looking forward to more....and less frenetic....demos. Seriously why do manufacturers push these demos with some yahoo dancing around twiddling knobs like they’re a dj at a club on ecstasy?
BluYote
Heck, I thought I was going to walk away from NAMM with just a Minilogue XD. Now I have to decide between this and that Dead Banana
I am so excited that digital waveform + analog multimode filter synths are coming in vogue. I always lusted after a knobby/keyboard Waldorf microwave.
Fallen_lassen
Brr the ugliest easel copy this year.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14