MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla USA announces Red Panel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Buchla USA announces Red Panel
JamieDrouin
From Sonic State (link below):

"Buchla U.S.A. has introduced a subsidiary company called Red Panel. They tell us that Red Panel was created to pursue new and innovative Buchla-related musical instruments that are priced within the reach of the average musician.

For its first line of products, Red Panel has worked closely with Dave Small of Catalyst Audio and Buchla artist consultant Todd Barton in order to bring Don Buchla’s seminal product line, the 100 Series, to the Eurorack format. Nine modules will be introduced and demonstrated at the NAMM convention, including the 106 (Six Channel Mixer), the 110 Quad Voltage Controlled Gate, the 156 Control Voltage Processor, the 156 (modern version), the 158 Dual Channel Oscillator, the 180 Dual Attack Generator, the 112 Touch Controlled Voltage Source, the 190 Dual Reverberator, the 193 (Combination of 194 and 191) Dual LoPass / Bandpass Filters, and a 6U 84HP case. These products will be available in the Spring of 2019.

Buchla U.S.A. will continue to meet the needs of Buchla customers through the production of high-quality historic synthesis/performance technology with a focus on and celebration of Don Buchla's legacy.

Pricing and Availability:
Available in the Spring of 2019

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/24/namm-2019-buchlas-red-panel-aff ordable-synths/
gigasturtz
Well, i guess that puts this thread to rest...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208621&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=50
mutierend
At the risk of sounding salty, I really wish Buchla would show some investment in the 4U format. This deal with Catalyst is just badge engineering.
a cheaper 4u would've been much more awesome. Another euro module...bleh... at least foxtone or noisebug or whoever bought buchla out are trying to make some money out of their investment.
sempervirent
gigasturtz wrote:
Well, i guess that puts this thread to rest...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208621&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=50

Not necessarily. With all the R&D of modern SMD conversions completed it would be pretty easy to turn the 3U modules into a separate 4U product line.

But it does look like they wouldn't be pursuing something with zthee/thc at this point, so that DIY angle is probably not how things will play out on the "official" level. Others are doing 100-series DIY clones now however.

Dave from Catalyst is active on MW – username @pre55ure – maybe he'll drop in with more info.
mathomas
It's cool news, and not that surprising given the existence of the Catalyst modules. Now they'll just be "formally" supported/marketed by Buchla. That won't stop me from building the 4U "100" kits that MA has started carrying. I'm kind of a 4U convert now ;-)
lasesentaysiete
sempervirent wrote:

But it does look like they wouldn't be pursuing something with zthee/thc at this point,

They could be getting a 4u production run ready with Zthee, though. Who knows? I would have thought they would just do it themselves with the Euro format. maybe they are buddies with Catalyst and did not want to put him out. Not usre why they would team with Jon for 4u, but it is possible.

mathomas wrote:
That won't stop me from building the 4U "100" kits that MA has started carrying. I'm kind of a 4U convert now ;-)

Cheers. There is a thread for those here, by the way:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208349
Hi5
All roads lead to Eurorack
djs
Hi5 wrote:
All roads lead to Eurorack

And that's why we move to space.....
shoegazer86
Its kind of a shock and at the same time not really a surprise they went in this direction since we saw the modules Catalyst had on display.

Im also kind of happy that we get to explore diy options as well, between our MEMS System 100 and lasesentaysiete's LA 67 modules, there will be a lot of options to grow systems piece by piece in an organic fashion.

It looks like Catalyst/Buchla USA/Red Panel is doing the most common, easy to find modules first, I kind of expected some direction towards the rarer modules since I saw the original panels by Catalyst, but I can bet marketing will reveal them for years to come. Also, I think a lot of 100 series fans are purists in a sense - I know that combining modules is like blasphemy to me, but everyone has their thing!

I hope all can coexist peacefully - and wish the best to Buchla USA!
Orwell
Such great news and a great start.

I would suggest to any buchla rep who jumps into the thread, go for it and release 200e modules in eurorack format and them maybe others like the 259r.
Also update some of the modules. Change the amps, vactrols, make them super lush and woody organic and other innovations. Throw in a small mixer for the VCOs. A couple of nice addons, quality components, nice DACs and puts, and the buchla org name, will place the brand well to sell these modules to people in the module euro world who like buchla.

Theres no point just sitting around and letting the clone market just clone buchla. Nor sitting around and letting other companies release cheap west coast buchla systems.

Im being positive but its up to buchla to listen to users of buchla stuff and get on it. Simple surveys work so well to capture user wants and needs.
ryangaston
I for one am super excited about this—personally I've been moving away from Euro toward 4U for a long time, and as such don't particularly anticipate personally owning Red Panel gear (though, who knows, things do change)—but, Catalyst's Eurorack adaptations of the 100 series are spectacular, and very very true to the originals (I've used both a good bit). I think that this is a great direction to go for a lot of reasons, including:

1) I'm happy to see Buchla USA working with someone who is clearly doing great work to further the Buchla legacy rather than throwing a lawsuit at them.

2) I'm excited to see Buchla USA recognizing that Eurorack is a valid market, and tapping into it while maintaining their own identity in the Buchla format as an independent entity: the difference of format does feel like a different instrument altogether.

3) I'm excited at the prospect of Eurorack and licensing/collaborative endeavors like the Sensel Thunder overlay helping to take the brilliance of Buchla's designs and legacy to more people.

It's no secret that Buchla format can feel very "exclusive," and it's great to see the new Buchla USA branching into the world in a much more open way than BEMI. I think that bringing some of these ideas about sound and music to a broader audience will ultimately make for more creative musicmaking, more interesting music, and a slightly weirder world.

Branching into Euro and the (very affordable) Sensel collab bodes well for me. An interesting future could be one with a broader dealer network, official DIY support, Bob Moog Foundation-like outreach programs and educational initiatives, collaborations with more artists and instrument makers—maybe that's all daydreaming, but the past few days' announcements do feel to me like this could be a first step down a very very interesting and enriching path

All this to say, cheers Buchla USA Guinness ftw!
Knarzwaltz
I was afraid that Buchla USA would go in this direction. Just another brand to exploit.
Soundwave
Knarzwaltz
And when catalyst is doing it nice old style...why dont we fuck the nice aesthetics up with the "Red Panel" logo d'oh! ...there are so many wrongs here on so many levels. Dead Banana
musicaespressiva
Knarzwaltz wrote:
And when catalyst is doing it nice old style...why dont we fuck the nice aesthetics up with the "Red Panel" logo d'oh! ...there are so many wrongs here on so many levels. Dead Banana

I agree
shoegazer86
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208382

If its true "old style" you are after, follow this thread. Not to hype it up or anything but we are releasing everything as period accurate as we can, even the 132, 120 and 113.
Leverkusen
Todd Barton says Red Panel might go to other formats too. I wonder what that means and how they will deal with the DIY scene. In the other video he says Red Panel is meant as a way to deal with the phenomenon of Buchla clones...hmmm.....

cygmu
Leverkusen wrote:
In the other video he says Red Panel is meant as a way to deal with the phenomenon of Buchla clones...hmmm.....

Well, he sort of gently agrees with the interviewer on that, rather than making a statement. At least that was my recollection. I don't know if Todd is the right person to ask about the intention and policy of Buchla USA really -- presumably he was there at NAMM for his ability to discuss and demonstrate the modules themselves.
allmono
Leverkusen
cygmu wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:
In the other video he says Red Panel is meant as a way to deal with the phenomenon of Buchla clones...hmmm.....

Well, he sort of gently agrees with the interviewer on that, rather than making a statement. At least that was my recollection. I don't know if Todd is the right person to ask about the intention and policy of Buchla USA really -- presumably he was there at NAMM for his ability to discuss and demonstrate the modules themselves.

You could be right - might be my fear of change.

At least they sound good and the direction the interface leads you into is beautiful in its basic earthiness!
lumin
Leverkusen wrote:

At least they sound good and the direction the interface leads you into is beautiful in its basic earthiness!

I noticed this as well. While I saw a comment or 2 on the looks, who cares? It sounds great even over youtube.
Ceres
Edit: not a helpful post
Demi Jon
Ceres wrote:
The logo on the panels is not aesthetically pleasing and it still doesn’t say “Buchla”.

The Buchla aesthetic is so refined and well established, slapping a logo in a bold font onto it is really jarring and awful. Most of the clones even keep to the original font.

At least keep the Red Panel logo in the same decorous Buchla font, even if it's printed in bright red. Please.
AutomaticGainsay
Demi Jon wrote:
Ceres wrote:
The logo on the panels is not aesthetically pleasing and it still doesn’t say “Buchla”.

The Buchla aesthetic is so refined and well established, slapping a logo in a bold font onto it is really jarring and awful. Most of the clones even keep to the original font.

At least keep the Red Panel logo in the same decorous Buchla font, even if it's printed in bright red. Please.

But the fact that the Buchla panel dimensions are completely wrong and massively shrunk to fit Eurorack doesn't bother your intense sense of aesthetics?

Well, in any case, yes. The fact that these modules don't fit Buchla aesthetic standards that didn't exist in the 100 Series is an outrage. Also, that they don't say "Buchla" on them, like none of the original 100 series did. These are definitely reasons for righteous indignation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3