MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-Bit Prism
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Qu-Bit Prism
de_raaf
Looks major fun, needed a stereodelay and we'll this more, and nice price, they should do kind same, but a stereo reverb with some extra stufff same hp...
Virusinstaller
Yep, watched the Divkid module. G.A.S initialised after a short break.
Time to fill the wallet with moths again.
goldi
Divkid rules with this module (rules anyway, but damn).

Is there any way to turn the fake tape noise off (time knob)? So one can modulate the time without it turning into pure noise? If not, i'd love to see an update to the firmware.
Nutritional Zero
I absolutely love decimating "nice sounds" with the Prism. I'm pushing it as hard as I can in this one... Who's up next?

vantablack
Nutritional Zero wrote:
I absolutely love decimating "nice sounds" with the Prism. I'm pushing it as hard as I can in this one... Who's up next?

Whoa! Please tell more. External sound source I guess?
Nutritional Zero
Some string sample being played by the Nebulae (the best neighbour a Prism could have, as I think DivKid highlighted).
mdoudoroff
Spent some time with Prism at Control, and took the plunge. Tons of value for a nice price and a small space. Three notes:

1) this is a stereo module, but it does not really do mono —> stereo; like many effects, left and right seem to be processed entirely independently, so it won’t take a mono voice and “make it stereo” in any particularly interesting way

2) the panel layout is a little… curious… the closely-related Time and Comb are separated from each other, as are Resonance and Cutoff; I guess the LED matrix in the middle is handy for monitoring CV modulation, but maybe not that essential

3) the decimate feature can be great to use subtly (at low values) to add transient harmonics to comb-filtered stuff… really “rings” in a neat way
Funky40
@mdoudoroff,
i´d be interested to hear what you think about the comb filter section.

i´m *mainly* interested in the combfilter as such, plus the crossover effects to delay.
Myself *totally* on the edge to press the button.
But: The $ AND space just for the combfilter ? i struggle........wink

(Not so much interested in the filter since i usually patch without filters and also not so much interested in the delay since i don´t use often common delays.
yet, its stereo which is nice ! )

( scheisse, now its sold out here........i nearly ordered one yesterday......well, in fact the last three days, each day, haha)
mdoudoroff
Funky40 wrote:
@mdoudoroff,
i´d be interested to hear what you think about the comb filter section.

i´m *mainly* interested in the combfilter as such, plus the crossover effects to delay.

My impressions are only early ones, but I feel it’s best to think of Prism as a combo effect: a flexible, space-efficient way to animate a single voice or a stereo submix. The individual elements are rudimentary on their own, but putting them together—and being able to reconfigure the placement of the filter with the mode button—multiplies the number of possibilities. The clocked delay is a nice perk (alas, not ping pong).
behndy
orderrrrrrrrreeeeed.
Nutritional Zero
The doudoroff summed it up perfectly... I’m addicted to this module and I love to push it to its limits. There are probably better filters/delays/whatevers out there but, like Cold Mac, the idea of a “reactive whole” is too good to pass up.
Funky40
mdoudoroff wrote:
......., but I feel it’s best to think of Prism as a combo effect: .......

yeah, thats where i struggle.
i think thats not what i explicitely need.

right now i have no stereo delay, so that would be a huge win ( vs. chronoblobb) but i just don´t need that so often.
The filter seems very versatile, no question, but same:
where i had with my patchings is all such functionality not "necessary".

while i´m *totally* into patching with any sorts of resonators and into abusing any sort of Delays (or Reverbs) for that task,
and must say: software is lacking in that filed dramatically ( i have all relevant software "that i could find",......had even threads running here at muffs asking for tipps)

but to make it clear: its not only "direct resonating" like karplus strong,
its more "the strange field inbetween".
the point is often the "the delaytime access" ( to coarse delay time jumps in the smallest size region)

(no chance to try out a Prism here, and NO returnation of modules here in swiss / and having medical bills coming towards me so i´m happy for any module that i don´t need wink )
mdoudoroff
Funky40 wrote:
(no chance to try out a Prism here, and NO returnation of modules here in swiss / and having medical bills coming towards me so i´m happy for any module that i don´t need wink )

Unless you heard something in DivKid’s demo that really rang your bell, this is probably not the module for you.
Funky40
mdoudoroff wrote:

Unless you heard something in DivKid’s demo that really rang your bell, this is probably not the module for you.

haha, yes, there have been some.........but kinda not enough. There the struggle comes from, kind of wink

Thanks for your input mdoudoroff, and Nutritonal Zero

i see , i might have to jump............i never saw a Man dieing by beeing torn on a decission , but one never knows, haha
Hi5
Looking to maybe grab one of these but was hoping to see if anyone was getting chorus type results with it? Seems like a simple enough option with some slight modulation of the time.
cg_funk
I have really been enjoying this module. It basically kicked me into full on stereo patching (RIP wallet...)

I agree with mdoudoroff, the Divkid demo def shows off the module at its best, and that is basically what you get. I plugged it in and immediately was able to get those kinds of sounds.

I think the module really comes alive with subtle modulation. I find it gets way too 'prismy' if you are ham-handed with the res or comb, and the thing is, it's also totally captivating and easy to get lost in all that 'space'. I'm still learning to use it subtly! A whole lot to explore here.

The lower price point of this module really helped with the GAS that comes along with (I, of course, had to upgrade to a stereo output, stereo mixer and stereo panner to use this fully.)
Bignorthumbrian
I’ve had very good results putting bass drum in the left channel and snare in the right channel, modulate the decimate for crunchy percussion
behndy
that sounds sexy butts. will try tomorrow.

first patch with Chords 2 and Prism -

Hazza26
Really tempted by this module, currently only have a LP filter + mono Chronoblob, so this seems like an easy win.

Just for comparison, what other modules would cover similar territory in terms of the crusher / mangler section?
cg_funk
Here's a little generative patch I did last night.

I think I found my new favorite thing in modular! Rings -> Prism hyper

This also has all the channels of Filter8 put into all the channels of X-Pan going on, and some audio-rate saw-wave from the main osc sent to the Ping input.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mod_gene/nascent-bubble[/s]
Daisuk
Hazza26 wrote:
Really tempted by this module, currently only have a LP filter + mono Chronoblob, so this seems like an easy win.

Just for comparison, what other modules would cover similar territory in terms of the crusher / mangler section?

The 2hp can crush and freeze, but obviously lack the multi mode filter and comb/delay (and its mono).

I got my Prism last night. Its a cool module. Can very quickly get into weirdo territory. I find that I get the best results if I first just use it as a regular filter, then add delay to taste, then add crush. Modulating it while temporarily freezing it at intervals is really cool and can yield some very Richard devine-esque idm-like effects.
Hazza26
Daisuk wrote:
I got my Prism last night. Its a cool module. Can very quickly get into weirdo territory. I find that I get the best results if I first just use it as a regular filter, then add delay to taste, then add crush. Modulating it while temporarily freezing it at intervals is really cool and can yield some very Richard devine-esque idm-like effects.

I actually pulled the trigger on one a few weeks ago. Gave it a good workout but it didn't do it for me. I found it a bit too jack-of-all-trades, ie you get a lot crammed into one unit but I didn't feel like I had enough control over each of the modules. Also the Prism bills itself as stereo, but the delay was very mono, and far less hands-on & fun than my Chronoblob. A single knob for decimation again left me wanting. I sent it back and will be spending an awful lot more money on a fully-featured stereo filter (Dipole current favourite), digital mangler (is it the 2hp freeze you mean? Warps would be nice too), and maybe a Chronoblob 2 upgrade down the line!
Dead Banana
Daisuk
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

I actually pulled the trigger on one a few weeks ago. Gave it a good workout but it didn't do it for me. I found it a bit too jack-of-all-trades, ie you get a lot crammed into one unit but I didn't feel like I had enough control over each of the modules. Also the Prism bills itself as stereo, but the delay was very mono, and far less hands-on & fun than my Chronoblob. A single knob for decimation again left me wanting. I sent it back and will be spending an awful lot more money on a fully-featured stereo filter (Dipole current favourite), digital mangler (is it the 2hp freeze you mean? Warps would be nice too), and maybe a Chronoblob 2 upgrade down the line!
Dead Banana

Yeah, I can see that. Not 100% sure it's going to be staying with me long term either after the first few patches, but it does seem quite versatile. Freeze, yes! Not sure why I forgot to type that, hehe.
fwheel
Daisuk wrote:
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Dead Banana

Yeah, I can see that. Not 100% sure it's going to be staying with me long term either after the first few patches, but it does seem quite versatile. Freeze, yes! Not sure why I forgot to type that, hehe.

I don't mean to derail the conversation, but what other decimator modules are there? I really enjoy the sound on Prism, but can't really be bothered with the freeze and delay functions, at least based on the videos.
Daisuk
fwheel wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Dead Banana

I don't mean to derail the conversation, but what other decimator modules are there? I really enjoy the sound on Prism, but can't really be bothered with the freeze and delay functions, at least based on the videos.

Doepfer A-189 does bitcrushing and sample rate reduction in various ways. It's really cool if decimation is what you're after. Lots of different flavours, and it's dead cheap.

Others from the top of my head are T-Wrex, Malgorithm, the little Erica Pico DSP has a bitcrush preset.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4