Qu-Bit Prism

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Andy137
Common Wiggler

Post by Andy137 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 am

By the way, can filter and delay work simultaneously?

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 am

Andy137 wrote:By the way, can filter and delay work simultaneously?
For the Prism?

If so, yes...it is designed to use both simultaneously. You do lose the functionality of switching filter modes (LP,HP,BP) with CV if you want to clock the delay (uses same CV input).

You can either put the filter before or after the delay. I prefer before, so you get the delayed filter sweeps.

Really love the Prism in the FX send/stereo return of my Mixology. I can CV the send channels to get bursts of delay from different mixer inputs. Add a slow gate to the freeze function (every whole note, etc.) and you get some great rhythmic movements going on.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 pm

What is the slope of the filter? I can't find this information anywhere (it's not in the manual). I have several 12dB/oct filters so I'm wondering if this will feel different or just like more of the same. Anyone know?

Hek
Common Wiggler

Re: Qu-Bit Prism

Post by Hek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 am

This isnt a stereo module after all as its described as?

Seems to me like 2 separate mono channels. Like the input "1" comes out of output 1, same for no 2. When used as a stereo processor i get the different channels in each ear. I like the module over all but this behaviour doesnt seem right for a stereo module.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:21 am

Dual mono vs. stereo is of a semantic difference if the effects aren't in the area of panning or widening/narrowing, yeah? I say it has a better claim to being a stereo effect than units that just run a summed L/R into the effects and only preserve the stereo image in the dry mix.

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Maybe describing it as "Dual mono" or something would make things more clear. "Stereo" only sounds like it has some kind of stereo effect to the sound. If not widening the sound, why even make it a "stereo" effect in the first place. Like whats the point, yeah? :roll: Cant even find an explanation in the manual, only "stereo". To me anyway this seems a bit like an odd design but maybe it makes more sense in the long run.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Hek wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm
Maybe describing it as "Dual mono" or something would make things more clear. "Stereo" only sounds like it has some kind of stereo effect to the sound. If not widening the sound, why even make it a "stereo" effect in the first place. Like whats the point, yeah? :roll: Cant even find an explanation in the manual, only "stereo". To me anyway this seems a bit like an odd design but maybe it makes more sense in the long run.
You can run a stereo signal into it and it will stay intact. Otherwise you’d have to mult it, sum one chain to mono for Prism (if it did not have the stereo input) and route the other stereo chain separately to your mixer. Pretty involved and unnecessary, if you ask me.
There are more and more stereo oscillators coming out and it would be a shame if you had to either sum their signal to mono and/or run a separate stereo chain to preserve the stereo field.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm

So, I had Prism in my rack for five minutes, and I have already got a sunburn.

In other words, the luminance of the led's is just plain stupid. Who the f*ck came up the idea, of making them 5 times brighter than any other eurorack module known to man. Like, turn on the white Freeze led, and your eyeballs are toast.

Yeah-yeah, I could put some tape over them, but jeez, this is so stupid, and I would very much like if Qu-bit would be kind to include a dimming function. Like, hold down this button and turn this knob to dim the friggin laser beams. Thank you.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:19 pm

But ok, the owner of this car would love Prism.
screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 am

Ok, I got a bit angry about LEDs yesterday. Now I just took a black pen and painted over the main offenders which are the tree top ones. The white Freeze is by far the worst, with the two others, when green, coming in on second. There is still plenty of light coming through the black colour.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm

I don't' have the module yet but how does one adjust the delay feedback on Prism? Or can this not be adjusted?

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 am

spacenoodle wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm
I don't' have the module yet but how does one adjust the delay feedback on Prism? Or can this not be adjusted?
no answer so far ? lol

Prism is like this:
wet/dry and feedback is coupled on one knob !
The knob is called "Comb".
if you turn to full wet do you also turn the feedback full on and vice versa.

wet ---> more feedback
dry -----> less feedback
going from none to full
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:34 am

Funky40 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 am
spacenoodle wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm
no answer so far ? lol

Prism is like this:
wet/dry and feedback is coupled on one knob !
The knob is called "Comb".
if you turn to full wet do you also turn the feedback full on and vice versa.

wet ---> more feedback
dry -----> less feedback
going from none to full
Thanks! Interesting ok. One of my favorite/useful comb filter sounds is mixing the original signal with a very tight delayed one 50/50 and moving that delay around a few milliseconds, making sort of a throaty resonant phaser. From what you describe, seems like such possibility has been is designed out. For a comb I'd want full wet to be only the delay with feedback settings on a separate CV/Knob. I guess the module has other ambitions but not having more control over feedback is probably a deal killer for me.

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm

yeah, Prism seems designed to allow for comb filtering / resonating, without ever risking hitting extreme feedback / chaos. It works well in that capacity, but is not a straight delay. That said, it has two outputs and two inputs - so you can feed one output to a vca and then back into the spare input - and you get more pronounced feedback control.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm
That said, it has two outputs and two inputs - so you can feed one output to a vca and then back into the spare input - and you get more pronounced feedback control.
interesting, i´ve not tried that.

Prism is special yes.
i think i just recently had a patch going where i walked within the territory which "might" have been what the designer of the module had in mind as a main use.
interestingly was the comb-resonating aspect working also with the "comb" knob just at 9 o´clock or so.
then crank also the Resonance of the Filter.
Work with comb filter + resonating of the filter together.
it was interesting. Its a special module........
i´d say, its that sort of module that tells you where the sweetspot area is.
then please walk exactly there ;) :lol:

i personally use to patch "one knob controls" with my Erica black stereo delay and my Chronoblob V1 and other modules.
and mostoften i would team up the feedback with the Time .....and NOT with wet/dry.
---> long time, less or little feedback / much feedback......time is in comb filter area.
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”