MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-Bit Prism
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Qu-Bit Prism
Qu-Bit Electronix
The Prism is a multi-dimensional signal processor with stereo inputs and outputs!

- 12HP
- ETA March
- $249
- 3 dimensional sonic space - comb filter
- freeze locking audio buffer
- decimate control
- state variable filter with lp, hp, and bp
- All digital architecture

Demo videos will be up shortly!

The Junglechrist
Interesting !
joem
This looks very interesting... Can't wait to hear it and see it in action.
teamhobson
Loving this wave of stereo modules being release. Excited to hear this!

"Audio freeze buffer" and "decimate" sounds like a deadly combo Dead Banana
cackland
joem wrote:
This looks very interesting... Can't wait to hear it and see it in action.

Brief video from NAMM.

motorhead412
mmm, mangled audio buffer! i might have to switch out Clouds with Prism.
Gyroscope
I wonder if you can save the buffer. Seems like a cool module!
DT
seems nice!
Granny
i was eyeing the MODOR - Comb Filter, because im interested in stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/UaNd3VwKho0?t=123

hope the prism module can sound as phat. i really don't need a decimator and wished there would be modulation possibilities for stereo panning or ‘wideness’
kidkoexist
Need all the demos! This seems really promising but I'd like to hear some work from someone who's sat with it for a while.
Qu-Bit Electronix
The Prism is now available!

Multidimensional signal processor featuring:

- Stereo inputs and outputs
- Flexible delay line providing long delays, and comb filtering
- Bit depth and sample rate manipulation
- State variable filter with LPF, HPF, and BPF
- Freeze control locks buffer in place for glitch and beat repeat effects

Product Page

spinalbeatz
Might have to pull the trigger on this. Such a great price for the amount of functionality. Been looking for another clockable stereo-delay but the Chrono was a bit out of my price range and Magneto was a bit of overkill for me since I don't do too much looping. Nice work Qu-Bit!
dugoutcanoe
I want to hear the filter confused
matttech
A pile of these just landed wigglaz SlayerBadger!
Bignorthumbrian
I was going to buy a used Clouds, but i’ve just ordered a Prism, I like the idea of the filter, let’s hope it’s not too vanilla....
Bignorthumbrian
It’s arrived and it’s superb, especially when you start modulating all the parameters, definitely a keeper, I still want Clouds at some point in the future, but for now this’ll keep me amused.
It's peanut butter jelly time!
Quru
How are people liking theirs? Is it any worth in mono setup? I've been thinking about adding (or replacing, actually) something a bit more exciting and wide-range in terms of sound design than just a regular filter, but with filtering capabilities too. Currently I'm working in mono only, but some stereo action is not out of the question in the future. From the little I've seen and heard it Prism seems like a good balance between size, features and range, and I like the sound.
VanEck
i'm really enjoying mine so far. but i am mainly using it in stereo. i've been looking out for an interesting, small form factor stereo filter for a long while now, and so far prism nails it. i'll likely be getting a second one after i am done moving and my finances balance out. i'm sure it's just as fun using it in mono...
Nutritional Zero
Stereo only for me so far. I’m running it between Nebulae 2 and Clouds.

I really, really enjoy the option to put the filter AFTER the delay and decimator. It allows you to polish or fine tune the sound nicely before heading off to Clouds. Of course it can also get really gnarly too if you want.

Excellent value. Tons of features in 12hp, but not cramped or crowded. Very ergonomic and well laid out.
Bignorthumbrian
Here’s a little Instagram video of it in action, I used Peaks bass drum into the left channel and Peaks snare into the right channel. It’s really good with short percussive sounds, the decimator really messes up the sounds. Pity that Instagram makes your video mono when you upload it from your iPhone hmmm.....

https://www.instagram.com/modular_monkee/p/BvxAYxwFK_j/?utm_source=ig_ share_sheet&igshid=4hsl0fy2i5j9
Nutritional Zero
Here I am using Prism to obliterate some Diana Ross.

Nutritional Zero
Hi again Qu-Buddies, here's Prism obliterating some Squarepusher.

Nutritional Zero
Playing with the Prism more. Ideal module for a lunchbox/Pod/small system as there is so much functionality in 12hp.

placebo92
Nice jams! I liked that last one. Prism does seem like a lot of playability/capability-ness in 12hp.. Have been debating swapping my Chrono 2 for it.. A tough call.
Nutritional Zero
If you've already got Chronoblob 2 why not buy the Alright Devices' own T Wrex to go in the FX loop and roll your own filter? T Wrex has lots of CV inputs for the decimator. (The only thing I could wish for on Prism is more control over the decimator, but I can't quite put my finger on how, and I'm not sure I would want the module to be any larger in exchange. Maybe an alternate mode or something.)

Both excellent setups, but I'm not sure I'd sell a Chronoblob... yet.
Joey P.
I had a little Qu-bit frenzy at my local dealer a couple weeks ago and picked up Scanned and Prism. I already had a Nebulae.

The filter is surprisingly good. You wouldn't know it was digital. You can change filter type input to a clock input, which makes the unit way more useful to me. Bit crushing the delay with decimate at 3:00 brings a classic low bit 80's delay sound that warms up the repeats in a crunchy way.

The dual mode is really great...filter before delay for long delays where you can get bouncing, animated filter sweeps, or delay with short comb filter into main filter for Oscillator type duties.

Really loving it, particularly after the Nebulae to add filter sweep delays to the Nebulae mangle.
Jlevine711
How is this as a simple clockable delay? Are you able to do that with it? Thanks!
Nutritional Zero
Yep, it’s no problem, just see page 10 of the manual for details on enabling this secondary function.

The state is stored between power cycles too. cool
Joey P.
I guess if you want to do comb filtering/phasing effect you would not want to clock the delay so you can get really precise micro delay times, but the first thing I did was enable CLOCK mode, and haven't switched back yet.
I can see some creative ways of sequencing the filter type selector though....hmmm I'm going to have to visit that.
Parnelli
I've been wanting a stereo processor but haven't made a decision on which yet. This unit seems like a great answer to my needs! I recently picked up a Pulsar and am very happy with it. I'm normally not one for digital products, but I was able to pick it up easily and make it do all sorts of neat things in short order.

I'll be looking into this module a little deeper!
Jlevine711
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Yep, it’s no problem, just see page 10 of the manual for details on enabling this secondary function.

The state is stored between power cycles too. cool

Awesome thanks! How are people using it? Good for glitching up beats I assume?
placebo92
Nutritional Zero wrote:
If you've already got Chronoblob 2 why not buy the Alright Devices' own T Wrex to go in the FX loop and roll your own filter? T Wrex has lots of CV inputs for the decimator. (The only thing I could wish for on Prism is more control over the decimator, but I can't quite put my finger on how, and I'm not sure I would want the module to be any larger in exchange. Maybe an alternate mode or something.)

Both excellent setups, but I'm not sure I'd sell a Chronoblob... yet.

A nice idea.. Thing is I've got 0 free space which is why I'd have to free up the Chrono's 12hp to make room.. I think I just want to buy something new lol. Must work on my impulse control Om

One thing I didn't really think about before is the lack of wet/dry on Prism, has that not been something you've found yourself wanting? I guess it's easy enough to patch that up, though does take precious resources.
Nutritional Zero
Jlevine711 wrote:
Awesome thanks! How are people using it? Good for glitching up beats I assume?

Yeah, load a drum loop on Nebulae 2 (or sampler of choice). Feed bursts of random voltage to the decimator and random gates to the freeze input. It can get pretty gnarly, watch the resonance on the filter.
Nutritional Zero
placebo92 wrote:
One thing I didn't really think about before is the lack of wet/dry on Prism, has that not been something you've found yourself wanting? I guess it's easy enough to patch that up, though does take precious resources.

The Comb knob seems to do precisely that. Rotating it CW seems to increase the feedback as well as relative wet/dry blend. I seemed to lose a bit of input gain past 12 o’clock which made me think it’s wet/dry...

The decimator is kind of its own wet/dry so that one’s fine.

The ONLY thing I can currently think of that I would like is the ability to sculpt the decimator a little more. I don’t really know anything about SRR/BRR but I wish I had option to select from different aliasing textures or alter the behaviour and range of the decimator panel control... There are some sweet spots at around 7 o’clock or 8 o’clock, I’d like to explore variations of those rather than going into full-on crunch so readily...
sukyaneer

A bit of Nebulae with Prism, using the n16 controller which has been great first. A very simple exploration that explores some of the possibilities

[/video]
Gyroscope
sukyaneer wrote:

A bit of Nebulae with Prism, using the n16 controller which has been great first. A very simple exploration that explores some of the possibilities

[/video]

The video can't be read. I'd be interested in seeing it (for the Prism but also for the Faderbank).
Nutritional Zero
edit: double post
Nutritional Zero
Nutritional Zero wrote:

I’ll try to repost Scanner’s vid so hopefully it can be seen by more... You’ll definitely want to watch this one if the Nebulae/Prism pairing interests you.
sukyaneer
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:

I’ll try to repost Scanner’s vid so hopefully it can be seen by more... You’ll definitely want to watch this one if the Nebulae/Prism pairing interests you.

Thanks for reposting this. I was literally rushing out of the door when I posted it and it failed the first time, so tried again and didn't realise it had posted twice. I can't see any way to actually delete a post here though to tidy things up. And I do like to keep things tidy.

Sorry guys! :-)
Gyroscope
Great video!
sukyaneer
Gyroscope wrote:
Great video!

Thank you!
Joey P.
sukyaneer wrote:

Very nice!

Getting the Prism really breathed new life into me for using the Nebulae. They have quite a symbiotic relationship.
Andy137
Is filter in Prism comparable to single module filter or it's like filters in Disting?
Joey P.
Andy137 wrote:
Is filter in Prism comparable to single module filter or it's like filters in Disting?

Not familiar with the Disting, but for a digital filter, the Prism sounds excellent. It has "single module" filter features such as CV control for cutoff, resonance and filter type. IMO, the fact that it's digital and you can crush the bitrate is one of its best features.

One note, you cannot CV control filter type when syncing the delay, as they both use the same input.
Andy137
Joey P. wrote:
Andy137 wrote:

Not familiar with the Disting, but for a digital filter, the Prism sounds excellent. It has "single module" filter features such as CV control for cutoff, resonance and filter type. IMO, the fact that it's digital and you can crush the bitrate is one of its best features.

One note, you cannot CV control filter type when syncing the delay, as they both use the same input.

Maybe with stackcables?
Joey P.
Andy137 wrote:
Joey P. wrote:
Andy137 wrote:

Maybe with stackcables?

I don't think so. You press a button combination to choose if the filter type CV input changes the filter or accepts clock.
mdoudoroff
I was not enthused about this module. I now am.

sir stony
Hopefully, I'll get my prism tomorrow. hyper
Very much looking forward to it, so much it can do from what I've seen so far!
Hidden_Path
mdoudoroff wrote:
I was not enthused about this module. I now am.

Ditto after watching Ben's video! SlayerBadger!
Virusinstaller
New DivKid Video
Such a great module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6cl1f4RQw
de_raaf
Looks major fun, needed a stereodelay and we'll this more, and nice price, they should do kind same, but a stereo reverb with some extra stufff same hp...
Virusinstaller
Yep, watched the Divkid module. G.A.S initialised after a short break.
Time to fill the wallet with moths again.
goldi
Divkid rules with this module (rules anyway, but damn).

Is there any way to turn the fake tape noise off (time knob)? So one can modulate the time without it turning into pure noise? If not, i'd love to see an update to the firmware.
Nutritional Zero
I absolutely love decimating "nice sounds" with the Prism. I'm pushing it as hard as I can in this one... Who's up next?

vantablack
Nutritional Zero wrote:
I absolutely love decimating "nice sounds" with the Prism. I'm pushing it as hard as I can in this one... Who's up next?

Whoa! Please tell more. External sound source I guess?
Nutritional Zero
Some string sample being played by the Nebulae (the best neighbour a Prism could have, as I think DivKid highlighted).
mdoudoroff
Spent some time with Prism at Control, and took the plunge. Tons of value for a nice price and a small space. Three notes:

1) this is a stereo module, but it does not really do mono —> stereo; like many effects, left and right seem to be processed entirely independently, so it won’t take a mono voice and “make it stereo” in any particularly interesting way

2) the panel layout is a little… curious… the closely-related Time and Comb are separated from each other, as are Resonance and Cutoff; I guess the LED matrix in the middle is handy for monitoring CV modulation, but maybe not that essential

3) the decimate feature can be great to use subtly (at low values) to add transient harmonics to comb-filtered stuff… really “rings” in a neat way
Funky40
@mdoudoroff,
i´d be interested to hear what you think about the comb filter section.

i´m *mainly* interested in the combfilter as such, plus the crossover effects to delay.
Myself *totally* on the edge to press the button.
But: The $ AND space just for the combfilter ? i struggle........wink

(Not so much interested in the filter since i usually patch without filters and also not so much interested in the delay since i don´t use often common delays.
yet, its stereo which is nice ! )

( scheisse, now its sold out here........i nearly ordered one yesterday......well, in fact the last three days, each day, haha)
mdoudoroff
Funky40 wrote:
@mdoudoroff,
i´d be interested to hear what you think about the comb filter section.

i´m *mainly* interested in the combfilter as such, plus the crossover effects to delay.

My impressions are only early ones, but I feel it’s best to think of Prism as a combo effect: a flexible, space-efficient way to animate a single voice or a stereo submix. The individual elements are rudimentary on their own, but putting them together—and being able to reconfigure the placement of the filter with the mode button—multiplies the number of possibilities. The clocked delay is a nice perk (alas, not ping pong).
behndy
orderrrrrrrrreeeeed.
Nutritional Zero
The doudoroff summed it up perfectly... I’m addicted to this module and I love to push it to its limits. There are probably better filters/delays/whatevers out there but, like Cold Mac, the idea of a “reactive whole” is too good to pass up.
Funky40
mdoudoroff wrote:
......., but I feel it’s best to think of Prism as a combo effect: .......

yeah, thats where i struggle.
i think thats not what i explicitely need.

right now i have no stereo delay, so that would be a huge win ( vs. chronoblobb) but i just don´t need that so often.
The filter seems very versatile, no question, but same:
where i had with my patchings is all such functionality not "necessary".

while i´m *totally* into patching with any sorts of resonators and into abusing any sort of Delays (or Reverbs) for that task,
and must say: software is lacking in that filed dramatically ( i have all relevant software "that i could find",......had even threads running here at muffs asking for tipps)

but to make it clear: its not only "direct resonating" like karplus strong,
its more "the strange field inbetween".
the point is often the "the delaytime access" ( to coarse delay time jumps in the smallest size region)

(no chance to try out a Prism here, and NO returnation of modules here in swiss / and having medical bills coming towards me so i´m happy for any module that i don´t need wink )
mdoudoroff
Funky40 wrote:
(no chance to try out a Prism here, and NO returnation of modules here in swiss / and having medical bills coming towards me so i´m happy for any module that i don´t need wink )

Unless you heard something in DivKid’s demo that really rang your bell, this is probably not the module for you.
Funky40
mdoudoroff wrote:

Unless you heard something in DivKid’s demo that really rang your bell, this is probably not the module for you.

haha, yes, there have been some.........but kinda not enough. There the struggle comes from, kind of wink

Thanks for your input mdoudoroff, and Nutritonal Zero

i see , i might have to jump............i never saw a Man dieing by beeing torn on a decission , but one never knows, haha
Hi5
Looking to maybe grab one of these but was hoping to see if anyone was getting chorus type results with it? Seems like a simple enough option with some slight modulation of the time.
cg_funk
I have really been enjoying this module. It basically kicked me into full on stereo patching (RIP wallet...)

I agree with mdoudoroff, the Divkid demo def shows off the module at its best, and that is basically what you get. I plugged it in and immediately was able to get those kinds of sounds.

I think the module really comes alive with subtle modulation. I find it gets way too 'prismy' if you are ham-handed with the res or comb, and the thing is, it's also totally captivating and easy to get lost in all that 'space'. I'm still learning to use it subtly! A whole lot to explore here.

The lower price point of this module really helped with the GAS that comes along with (I, of course, had to upgrade to a stereo output, stereo mixer and stereo panner to use this fully.)
Bignorthumbrian
I’ve had very good results putting bass drum in the left channel and snare in the right channel, modulate the decimate for crunchy percussion
behndy
that sounds sexy butts. will try tomorrow.

first patch with Chords 2 and Prism -

Hazza26
Really tempted by this module, currently only have a LP filter + mono Chronoblob, so this seems like an easy win.

Just for comparison, what other modules would cover similar territory in terms of the crusher / mangler section?
cg_funk
Here's a little generative patch I did last night.

I think I found my new favorite thing in modular! Rings -> Prism hyper

This also has all the channels of Filter8 put into all the channels of X-Pan going on, and some audio-rate saw-wave from the main osc sent to the Ping input.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mod_gene/nascent-bubble[/s]
Daisuk
Hazza26 wrote:
Really tempted by this module, currently only have a LP filter + mono Chronoblob, so this seems like an easy win.

Just for comparison, what other modules would cover similar territory in terms of the crusher / mangler section?

The 2hp can crush and freeze, but obviously lack the multi mode filter and comb/delay (and its mono).

I got my Prism last night. Its a cool module. Can very quickly get into weirdo territory. I find that I get the best results if I first just use it as a regular filter, then add delay to taste, then add crush. Modulating it while temporarily freezing it at intervals is really cool and can yield some very Richard devine-esque idm-like effects.
Hazza26
Daisuk wrote:
I got my Prism last night. Its a cool module. Can very quickly get into weirdo territory. I find that I get the best results if I first just use it as a regular filter, then add delay to taste, then add crush. Modulating it while temporarily freezing it at intervals is really cool and can yield some very Richard devine-esque idm-like effects.

I actually pulled the trigger on one a few weeks ago. Gave it a good workout but it didn't do it for me. I found it a bit too jack-of-all-trades, ie you get a lot crammed into one unit but I didn't feel like I had enough control over each of the modules. Also the Prism bills itself as stereo, but the delay was very mono, and far less hands-on & fun than my Chronoblob. A single knob for decimation again left me wanting. I sent it back and will be spending an awful lot more money on a fully-featured stereo filter (Dipole current favourite), digital mangler (is it the 2hp freeze you mean? Warps would be nice too), and maybe a Chronoblob 2 upgrade down the line!
Dead Banana
Daisuk
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

I actually pulled the trigger on one a few weeks ago. Gave it a good workout but it didn't do it for me. I found it a bit too jack-of-all-trades, ie you get a lot crammed into one unit but I didn't feel like I had enough control over each of the modules. Also the Prism bills itself as stereo, but the delay was very mono, and far less hands-on & fun than my Chronoblob. A single knob for decimation again left me wanting. I sent it back and will be spending an awful lot more money on a fully-featured stereo filter (Dipole current favourite), digital mangler (is it the 2hp freeze you mean? Warps would be nice too), and maybe a Chronoblob 2 upgrade down the line!
Dead Banana

Yeah, I can see that. Not 100% sure it's going to be staying with me long term either after the first few patches, but it does seem quite versatile. Freeze, yes! Not sure why I forgot to type that, hehe.
fwheel
Daisuk wrote:
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Dead Banana

Yeah, I can see that. Not 100% sure it's going to be staying with me long term either after the first few patches, but it does seem quite versatile. Freeze, yes! Not sure why I forgot to type that, hehe.

I don't mean to derail the conversation, but what other decimator modules are there? I really enjoy the sound on Prism, but can't really be bothered with the freeze and delay functions, at least based on the videos.
Daisuk
fwheel wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Hazza26 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Dead Banana

I don't mean to derail the conversation, but what other decimator modules are there? I really enjoy the sound on Prism, but can't really be bothered with the freeze and delay functions, at least based on the videos.

Doepfer A-189 does bitcrushing and sample rate reduction in various ways. It's really cool if decimation is what you're after. Lots of different flavours, and it's dead cheap.

Others from the top of my head are T-Wrex, Malgorithm, the little Erica Pico DSP has a bitcrush preset.
Andy137
By the way, can filter and delay work simultaneously?
Joey P.
Andy137 wrote:
By the way, can filter and delay work simultaneously?

For the Prism?

If so, yes...it is designed to use both simultaneously. You do lose the functionality of switching filter modes (LP,HP,BP) with CV if you want to clock the delay (uses same CV input).

You can either put the filter before or after the delay. I prefer before, so you get the delayed filter sweeps.

Really love the Prism in the FX send/stereo return of my Mixology. I can CV the send channels to get bursts of delay from different mixer inputs. Add a slow gate to the freeze function (every whole note, etc.) and you get some great rhythmic movements going on.
deftinwulf
What is the slope of the filter? I can't find this information anywhere (it's not in the manual). I have several 12dB/oct filters so I'm wondering if this will feel different or just like more of the same. Anyone know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4