MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

intellijel SCALES
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author intellijel SCALES
intellijel
Introducing the Intellijel Scales

Scales is an 8hp dual-channel note quantizer and step sequencer. Fundamentally, it takes an input voltage, quantizes it to notes in a user-defined scale, and sends that quantized voltage to an output, where you can use it as a melodic pitch source for oscillators or any other module that expects to see discreet note values at its input.

Scales goes far beyond the fundamental, allowing you unprecedented control of the pitches and intervals hiding inside your control voltages; turn LFO’s into arpeggiators; random voltages into harmonic counterpoint; and unquantized external CV sequencers into chromatically tuned note sequencers.

Quantization can be locked to an incoming trigger. There are a number of trigger output options as well, ranging from no triggering (good for pitch shifting drones); through triggers that sync with either of the two outputs (or both); to a trigger or gate transmitted in sync with one sent to the module’s TRIG input.

Shift
Scales features two independent outputs, enabling you to create shifted harmonic intervals within your chosen scale using only a single pitch input. Using the SHIFT input you can modulate changes on OUT A and/or OUT B.

You can also use the shift input to switch between scales or to change the root of any existing scale pattern or split Scales into two quantizers — each conforming to a common scale, but fed entirely different voltage sources.

Sequence
Scales also features a 128-step SH-101 style step sequencer (complete with storage for up to 35 fully programmable patterns) — allowing you to feed OUT B with sequenced notes and rhythm patterns, while OUT A continues to function as a standard pitch quantizer for external voltages. You can even sync the sequencer to quantizer events on OUT A.

Features
CV inputs and outputs operate in a -10v to +10v range with 1v/oct scaling
1-octave keyboard for selecting scale notes in real time and LED buttons provide visual feedback of quantizing
Save and recall up to 35 different scales and sequences, arranged in 5 banks (black keys) of 7 scales each (white keys)
35 factory scale patterns included
High resolution precision DAC for accurate pitch generation
Adjustable trigger delay
Input filtering eliminates jitter
Low latency

More details here: Scales

And please check our comprehensive manual

Price: $289 USD
Available Now!

Keltie
I’ve been holding off on another uscale2 in expectation of an update. This looks killer, congrats! Instabuy from me....

The reversal of the keyboard orientation may take some getting used to, but no biggie I guess....
cackland
Nice upgrade guys, both module and product page.
boxxgrooved
Yeah I've also been thinking about grabbing a uScale but this has just made it onto the list now. I am so glad the keyboard layout has been switched round, it makes way more sense looking at the keyboard from the bottom going up, it will be easier to program scales with the right hand. Nice sequencer too!
intellijel
For those interested in some of the differences from the µScale:

uScale only accepted 0-10V unipolar input, Scales accepts -10 to +10 and outputs -10 to +10 so you can quantize full sweeping LFOs/envelopes.

Same for the Shift input (full -10 to +10V range). This also facilitates the new "DUAL" mode where shift input can be used as a separate pitch input to process and quantize

LEARN function allows you to monitor external sequences and learn the scales from them. Either to make new scale from scratch or add to your existing scale.

Interval functions also allows you to enter a special tuning mode so you can conveniently tune your VCOs connected. Also unlike uScale you can set an interval of zero.

Root function allows you to set root with or without shifting your current scale to match. (Something that was confusing to a lot of people

Very fast ARM processor for low latency and special filtering to eliminate glitches. USB port on back for easy updates of firmware.

Keyboard rotated to more logical right handed orientation with RGB buttons.
exper
Hallelujah!!! So many great new features, but I’m still just happy for Trigger in/out! applause
TemplarK
I have a Uscale II and it performs super fast lighting arps that merge, some call it a peformance quantizer, how does this one compare on that front with it being a little more complicated?
kisielk
It should perform better than uScale II in all respects. Also it's easy to updated firmware via USB so it will be easier to tweak it in response to user feedback.
spinalbeatz
Definitely picking this one up.
-S.L-
uScale2 was & still is one of my favortie module of all time, and use it in pretty much every patch.

now that I see the differences with the new one, I will give it a try at my local store as soon as they receive it
taylor12k
is there any specific integration between this and Steppy? can the two be used together in any interesting way?
kisielk
Nothing special, but you can definitely do interesting things by connecting the triggers one way or the other.
mattsb
Dang. I just ordered a uO_C to "replace" my existing uScale because I wanted the trigger in, one more quantizer and a sequencer. I was/am worried about the usability/immediacy compared to how great my uScale was with the keyboard.

And yes I know uO_C can do so much more, but I read the manual and it makes my head hurt / reminds me of work. I just want to make music not learn about NeoReizmann (sp?) algorithms.

I sense a "battle of the modules" coming, to see which I like better.
HARGOW
taylor12k wrote:
is there any specific integration between this and Steppy? can the two be used together in any interesting way?

Here's a couple ideas

Steppy TRACK OUT INTO Scales TRIG IN
Probability and ratcheting on the Steppy provide an interesting way to gate the quantizations scales or advance scale's sequencer. You could get some really cool tuned percussion or drive a melody alongside your percussion tracks.

It's also really cool with the "Loopy" (live looping/step jump) mode on Steppy. Since you can use inactive pages in Loopy Mode, you can program small patterns or bursts, quantization patterns on an unused page and play Scales live, with changes quantized to your clock.

Scales TRIG OUT INTO Steppy CLK
Without anything in the Trig IN on scales, the Trig OUT can be set to fire when any quantization happens (you can also drive the sequencer this way). You can get really beautiful swells when you feed smooth modulation into PITCH in (omg, attenuated planar2!!!!) and as the notes change Steppy advances, firing 4 modules in whatever patterns you want.
damase
Great update. So glad the keyboard is layed out like a real keyboard now. Thats actually the main reason i didnt gel with uscale or the tiptop quantizer either
joem
This seems pretty nice. It seems to have fixed all of my issues with the uScales, and it seems really thoughtfully designed. Love that it can quantize two separate signals! And the sequencer is a nice touch too. I think this'll end up on my to-buy list.
Hovercraft
A 1U version of scales would be quite nice.
cackland
Hovercraft wrote:
A 1U version of scales would be quite nice.

This would be great actually. Considering they did the reverse, 1U Steppy to 3U... maybe they might smile
gonkulator
I had two uScales, and liked them, but eventually got tired of the jitter, and sold them. Glad to see the trigger in, but as long as it will respond well without needing to trigger it, this looks what I have been waiting for. I really like creating scales on the fly.
HARGOW
gonkulator wrote:
I had two uScales, and liked them, but eventually got tired of the jitter, and sold them. Glad to see the trigger in, but as long as it will respond well without needing to trigger it, this looks what I have been waiting for. I really like creating scales on the fly.

The input filtering on scales is super balanced without the trig in and using the trig in allows you to tighten it up even more with wild incoming signals
trigger303
Quote:
Very fast ARM processor for low latency and special filtering to eliminate glitches.

I'm very glad to hear that !
I can't wait !!!
Dcramer
Sweet!
And it appears to retain the all important CV shift of scale type woah
w00t w00t w00t
Phitar
"8hp dual-channel note quantizer and step sequencer"

Hellz yeah!

I'm sold! Rockin' Banana!

I'm getting this! (But that will be the last thing I get this year, I promise!)
meh.
cackland
Phitar wrote:
But that will be the last thing I get this year, I promise!)
meh.

thumbs up
joeSeggiola
Reminds me of the Copper Traces Seek, albeit much compact (which is great).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4