MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LEM4 or trying out "buchla" in eurorack first?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author LEM4 or trying out "buchla" in eurorack first?
minipusice
hello,

i've been considering a LEM4 mini-system and, to me, it's a big investment wink.

so i'm thinking about maybe "experimenting" with what i've got first.

a 5-stage sequencer by verbos,
a maths,
an optomix and a sto by make noise.

could i get close by adding a complex oscillator to my current eurorack "lineup"? what would you get if so?

i know there are verbos, make noise, endorphin.es...never really had much experience with any. i should mention that i much prefer a rawer, less polished sound.

cheers
k
andybizarre
You could add a DPO, RxMx or a Wogglebug. Even better, get all three, save some cash and be miles ahead of a Snoopy.
diophantine
Unless you really want to say you've got some Buchla, I'd go for expanding your Eurorack and experimenting - see where things lead! Even just adding a modDemix and a 2nd STO (so you can patch your own complex oscillator) will give you most of what the LEM4 has to offer. And that'll only cost you $340. And grab a Wogglebug (as suggested) and you'll probably have something more Buchla-esque than the LEM4.
Demi Jon
I looooooove the Buchla visual aesthetic, so much so that it clouds my judgment: I'm not really super into the sound. But I still simply covet the gear because it looks so smart.

The other day I thought, 'well let's just look at a Skylab and maybe I could sell some gear and get one of those'.

Looking at the price I actually laughed out loud -- my 12U of Euro is 5x as functional, with far more options for sound creation and manipulation, and at least half the price.

But I still look at those systems and groan with envy.
de_raaf
If your not in too the sound, just buy than a buchla poster to look at ha
Pelsea
Buchla is for you if two of the following apply:

You are a professional musician
You need a fully integrated system from the start
You need an exceptionally rugged system
You love the distinctive Buchla sound
Cost is not a consideration

Otherwise, roll your own.
authorless
If you want a really raw sound, you might like Serge more.
dooj88
buchla, buchla, looks so nice.
buchla, buchla, whats the price?
buchla, buchla, sounds ok
*pulls up the cost page*
"Oh no way! i don't pull in Reznor pay!"
chrisso
No one has yet mentioned the different workflow - which is a MAJOR factor in Buchla vs Eurobuchla.
Separation of audio and voltage is important and changes the way you create sounds.
For me that's a reason to prefer Buchla to Eurobuchla - plus it is less fiddly.
mritenburg
I think you should understand the differences between Buchla 100 series, 200 series, and 200e series to help answer that question.

The LEM is a 200e system with a ton of advanced features. The Red Panel Eurorack modules are based on the 100 series and are quite primative compared to a 200e system.
diophantine
chrisso wrote:
No one has yet mentioned the different workflow - which is a MAJOR factor in Buchla vs Eurobuchla.

While true, we're talking here specifically about the LEM4... IMO that system feels like a gimmick to be able to hook a little Buchla up to your Eurorack, just to say you've got some Buchla.
mritenburg
diophantine wrote:
chrisso wrote:

While true, we're talking here specifically about the LEM4... IMO that system feels like a gimmick to be able to hook a little Buchla up to your Eurorack, just to say you've got some Buchla.

With 1 complex osc 261e, dual 281e, and dual 292e you have a complete Buchla 200e voice. With the added 218e you have a touch activated performance sequencer. It's a deceptively capable little instrument.
diophantine
mritenburg wrote:
With 1 complex osc 261e, dual 281e, and dual 292e you have a complete Buchla 200e voice. With the added 218e you have a touch activated performance sequencer. It's a deceptively capable little instrument.

I'm sure you can do a lot with it, but...
The 218 isn't part of the LEM4; it is a $1k add-on in a bundle.
And the left third of the LEM4 is all about interfacing with other gear.

For the OP (and most people in his position), it is probably a bad choice.
chrisso
diophantine wrote:
chrisso wrote:

It became a debate about Buchla vs Eurorack....and then people started mentioning Buchla inspired Euroack instead of purchasing Buchla. And then people started saying it's not so much the sound as the kudos of owning Buchla.
\
\
So I think it's worth interjecting at that point that one of the major features of actual Buchla - is the different workflows you are forced in to. See it as a creative adventure, or a limiting annoyance.
daniu
In my experience with small Buchla 200e systems (not the LEM4 but similar configurations) the main advantage is in the specific timbral shaping that is unique to Buchla. I haven't heard any other oscillators that sound like the 261e. Some like the sound more than others, but it is undeniably powerful, versatile and unique.

In terms of instrument control, the benefits of Buchla's workflow are less apparent with such a small system, especially when it's interfacing with eurorack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1