MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Favorite sequencer?
evanc
Looking for some opinions on what sequencers you all like, what you use them for, etc.

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes.. probably just not using it to its full potential, or using it as it was intended, but with so many other sequencers out there why settle for something you don't absolutely love, right?
selfdestroyer
When I first came to modular I was so used to pad based sequencers like the Akai MPC series (I still use my MPC 2k and 2KXL a lot). That being said I found the Beat Step Pro to be an easy transition. I still use it some today and will probably never get rid of it since its easy to setup quickly.

Now that I have had my modular rig awhile, I use quite a few for different uses. I have a Rene v2 that is my main sequencer (The touch is MUCH better on the v2, I have had no issues with miss touches at all) and I use the Voltage Block but have found I use it more for automation than for sequencing ever since I picked up the Rene v2.

I also have a Pressure Points with Brains that I really like using for drones and hands on manual note changes or shifting the uScale.

Last i have a Moskwa that I love the random feature on and don't use it nearly enough as I should.

I feel like I am still searching/trying out different sequencers to match my work flow and helping me make my flow more constructed. Less work to bang out something that is in my head.
evanc
selfdestroyer wrote:
I have a Rene v2 that is my main sequencer (The touch is MUCH better on the v2, I have had no issues with miss touches at all) and I use the Voltage Block but have found I use it more for automation than for sequencing ever since I picked up the Rene v2.

funny you should mention that, i am actually looking at the voltage block as one of the potential replacements/supplementations for the rene v1.. mostly because there is one available locally for cheap. how does your use of the two differ?
Zymos
Five12 Vector. For me, it ticks all the boxes. But there are so many things out there, and many have completely different approaches.

I owned René v1 for a good while, and loved it, but eventually sold it. It's very much it's own thing, which I thought was cool.

Another one I've been digging lately is the Pittsburgh microsequence. It's small, affordable, easy to use, but fairly deep.
Pighood
Moskwa. My ideal sequencer.
roolbg
Looking at tiptop z8000 and qubit pulsar
base615
I’m yet to find a perfect sequencer. Everything has one annoying element for me. The closest I’ve found is Varigate 8+ with Voltage Block but, to perfectly illustrate my point, why on earth would they put the jacks at the bottom FFS!
cackland
Orthogonal Devices ER101 for precise sequencing..

Tempted by Rene V2, just for that immediacy.
BTG
sequencer is such a broad term it could be used to apply from everything from a Marbles to an Eloquencer.

What are you looking for? CV and gate? Gate only? CV only? Size? Number of steps? Precise or generative?

I have ER-101/102, Moskwa, Octone, Steppy, Permutations/Variation, Algorhythm, A-149-1/A-118, Marbles, Z8000, Trigger Riot...and have had the Eloquencer, SQ-816, and others.

Depends really on what you want.
diller
evanc wrote:
Looking for some opinions on what sequencers you all like, what you use them for, etc.

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes.. probably just not using it to its full potential, or using it as it was intended, but with so many other sequencers out there why settle for something you don't absolutely love, right?

Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

How big is your system? How many voices do you need to cover? Are you looking for something racked? Not racked? CV/gate only? Or MIDI?

Your options start to diminish when you figure out what you need to be in love with your sequencer. Divide and conquer my friend!
glassofwater
NerdSEQ really is the best I've ever used. Once MIDI gets implemented for real and the expanders come out I don't think I'll ever need anything else.
evanc
diller wrote:
evanc wrote:

Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

How big is your system? How many voices do you need to cover? Are you looking for something racked? Not racked? CV/gate only? Or MIDI?

Your options start to diminish when you figure out what you need to be in love with your sequencer. Divide and conquer my friend!

good idea WRT making it easier for the electricity to bridge my fingers, i'll try that

my system is small by muffwiggler standards, 2x 84hp with a 104hp skiff thats got 2 small modules in it

racked would be preferred, but not required. cv/gate only is fine.

i am drawn to the er-101 since its held in such high regard, but i don't think that i need it by any means.
electricfence
I tend to reach for my Bastl Popcorn first, but I recently got a Befaco Muxlicer that I also
really like.
cackland
BTG wrote:
sequencer is such a broad term it could be used to apply from everything from a Marbles to an Eloquencer.

This is true, so I'll add to my 'sequencer' list then - Permutation + Variant, Marbles...
tau_seti
Metropolis of course.
blakeq
I like my sequencers cheap and cheerful and easy to use.

Love the beatstep pro for what you get for the price and the interface is great

Just get a magnetic usb cord for it (so the cord will not wear the USB port out. ).

Love the korg sq1 for a cheap easy to use sequencer
insoul8
lfo + offset/attenuation + s&h + quantizer
Jaypee
ER 101 and 102 for precision. What you can do with this combo is insane. by far the most advanced sequencer in eurorack. It can be dead simple, or dead sophisticated.

Perfectly completed by a René (MK1 here).
For the opposite reasons of ER 101/102.
Thinking about buying a MK2 because of the touch...big pb.
Rigo
Doepfer A-155 + A-155 + A-154 + A-150-8 + ... hihi

Though I also like the Klee thumbs up
windchill
insoul8 wrote:
lfo + offset/attenuation + s&h + quantizer

This, and the many variations and extensions of it.
-S.L-
Rigo wrote:
Doepfer A-155 + A-155 + A-154 + A-150-8 + ... hihi

This too.

I have Rene V2, Octone, Metropolis, NerdSeq, I had ER101/102 (horrendous work flow), Rene V1...

Nothing beats the fun and immediacy of Doepfer modules for instant pleasure and satisfaction.
exper
tau_seti wrote:
Metropolis of course.

This right here. Above all of my other sequencers. Never fails to inspire me.
ngarjuna
evanc wrote:

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes...

Prices on the René v1 seem to have crashed with the release of v2 (and there seem to be a ton of them out there). Worth a try but not a great time to cash in an early René. Unless you don’t care about the money it might make more sense to get to know René better (and just add an additional sequencer to address what René isn’t doing for you).

René v1 only outputs triggers in SNAKE mode. In Euclidean mode it passes the clock length through as a gate. So for longer gates you can just feed it clocks with a longer duty cycle (of course you would also need to feed it an X and Y clock in that mode so a divider of some kind is handy). Or, as I prefer, send your skinny pulses into something like Maths to increase their length (which is now easily modulated as well) and keep using René in SNAKE mode.
evanc
ngarjuna wrote:
evanc wrote:

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes...

Prices on the René v1 seem to have crashed with the release of v2 (and there seem to be a ton of them out there). Worth a try but not a great time to cash in an early René. Unless you don’t care about the money it might make more sense to get to know René better (and just add an additional sequencer to address what René isn’t doing for you).

René v1 only outputs triggers in SNAKE mode. In Euclidean mode it passes the clock length through as a gate. So for longer gates you can just feed it clocks with a longer duty cycle (of course you would also need to feed it an X and Y clock in that mode so a divider of some kind is handy). Or, as I prefer, send your skinny pulses into something like Maths to increase their length (which is now easily modulated as well) and keep using René in SNAKE mode.

very good points, and good to know regarding the triggers only being in snake mode. i think i'll just stick with it for now, after getting that tip earlier about licking my finger first, which as a concept is really funny to have to do, it is actually a lot snappier so less frustration there.
denuir
I am impressed by the Erica Synths Drum Sequencer as a master. Using it to trigger percussion while driving other sequencers like René is leading me into a ton of really inspiring territory. I get to maintain some elements of more straight/traditional percussion while arriving at all manner of non-traditional happy accidents. Just what I always wanted!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3