MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Favorite sequencer?
DeepSeaDriver
nerdseq for sure, though i also have a rene 2 for knobbin
Franktree
Won't be available for a while, but I think this could make for a very fun sequencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrjQqwz9Us[url]
gonkulator
Franktree wrote:
Won't be available for a while, but I think this could make for a very fun sequencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrjQqwz9Us[url]

Yes, definitely.
Skilling
René
Pressure Points + Brains
Elektron Analog Keys (if it counts?)
...and I quite like the seq and arp on Grandmother for simple stuff.
101010oxo
Moskwa and Turing Machine (I use two!).
blipson
diller wrote:
Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

Research conducted at https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163637&start=1000 turns up Neutrogena Hand Cream (concentrated or regular) as an excellent recoverer of your fingertips' natural conductivity.
Ears
My Varigate 8+ w/Voltage Block is sort of core to a lot of what I do. I used to be like "I love it but it's got hella bugs," but the recent 2.0 update fixed the issues that made my love conditional.
doubleohno
Been using a tb03 until recently but hated the storage/pattern sequencing. Sold it to fund a stepper acid, looking forward to it!
PLNB
OP-Z will be my go to sequencer once the CV module is released. If I need more channels to run, OCD and an iconnectivity box to run the show.
Ears
My other favorite is only half Eurorack. Love using Patterning 2 with my Hermod.
KöterRanzig
I would say, sequencers are pitch based loops. So my main question is always, how many channels of cv/gate can be programmed, which extra modulation options are avaiable, how many steps can be used, how useful is the interface and what is about some extra features every single module can have, which differs to other options on the market.

Some are really good for free form and improvisation and there are some others, which are based on a straight forward interface, where u have to dial in every single change, but can be saved and recalled.

it really depends on which music you like to play, which interfaces appeal to you, what kind of music you like to produce. I mean there is a huge difference between programming sequences, record and arrange them and the possibilities of playing live, where it can be playback as well but also mixed with spontaneaus gestures.

Personally, I like to build an own routing every new patch and this almost means getting some sequencers hooked up in a different way, where they can interact between each other, for getting some interesting always evolving motions and overlapping repitition. This means, some sequencers just playback data and some others will be used for affecting these, to reduce static sounds.

my sequencers are: stillson hammer mkII, perfect for programming in and change these bits with external cvs, for continues evolving sequences. brains + pressure points, more the gesture based controller/sequencer
mfb - seq-03, a workhorse which is really cryptic, some notes will be helpful. Can be cv, gate, env or lfo.
Varigate 8+ gate and probability sequencer, good for beats and random gates, especially if presets are changed in song mode (also this module is used for saving presets of the Voltage block and the Quad env as well).
Mimetic digitalis, simple sequencer with less hp but interesting ways of interacting with external cvs and gates.
a-160 + a-138, simple 4 step cv sequencer.
mutant brain + squarp pyramid/octatrack the midi cv/gate Interface monsters.

I really like every single sequencer module I have, every bit got an aspect which is useful in my setup.
atte
2x beatstep pro -> midi merger/splitter -> 2x cv.ocd. Very flexible, love it w00t

The fun starts when you "target" the same trigger or cv from both units, each running at different divisions, patterns lengths and/or random settings.

Some action on my youtube, in this track hands-on is limited to switching chains, muting the lead channel when playing the lead live and a bit of roller-action.

DJMaytag
I’m still waiting for something to be considered my favorite, and until then... Reason + Expert Sleepers hardware is sufficient for my needs.

That said, I don’t know if it’s possible for that perfect sequencer to be created. I’d want something that had multiple CV/gate tracks with at least one configurable mod output, multitrack triggering with probability per step AND dynamic gate outputs, an option for MIDI I/O (expander module), another option for extra configurable mod outputs (ie MOD2 for track X, independent CV source for syncable LFO’s, ENV’s etc), and a USB host port for being able to plug in a USB MIDI controller.

Not too tall an order, is it? smile
knifey
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 is still one of my favourite sequencers. Not a multi-track/pattern, but with 3 additional CV outs that can send out either stepped values (independently programmed) or one of 3 tempo-synced internal LFOs (all of which has a level control and uni/bi range selection - no need for extra attenuators/verters!). Also has a few nifty sequencer modes, like skip, odd, even. Super playable as well.
evanc
blipson wrote:
diller wrote:
Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

Research conducted at https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163637&start=1000 turns up Neutrogena Hand Cream (concentrated or regular) as an excellent recoverer of your fingertips' natural conductivity.

i'll give that a shot too.. and drinking more water probably wouldn't help either!
Bob Borries
MidiMac
Multiverse_Eros
I have my FLXS1 that I really like for writing stuff but it just isn't great for quick hands on play like a Rene is. I was debating on trying to trade it for an eloquencer or something--I feel particularly picky about sequencers for some reason
Brennanib
Love the Monome sequencing between WW and Ansible
Really dig the Eloquencer as well super good at random but has its bugs
Love the Flxs1 and arps per step, modulation etc. But is also buggy.

I’ve have and had a few others and these are the three I use currently
I had a Rene Great sequencer but not really my thing, Pressure Points and Brains is fun and always loved using those with O_c, Honestly Ornament and Crime is great if you don’t mind a little diving. Personallly looking at getting that module again
userfriendly
I've had the ER-101 (no 102 yet waah ) for a few months now. It is incredible. And I believe it can be fairly immediate depending on what you are doing. I wonder sometimes about getting a second one. But seeing as I have only scratched the surface....maybe I shouldn't. Either way, I believe that the ER-101 is the most versatile and advanced sequencer out there. If it looks too involved at first glance, look again. and then once more. It is beautifully intuitive and fast.
evileye0702
Eloquencer is the one I used the most within the box. Tons of features but pretty easy to use.

Outside the box it is Koma Komplex. So immediately easy to use only a few settings in one layer of "menus". Tons of modulation points. MIDI, CV and Gate. Made Metropolis redundant for me.

I also use
Rene - probably the most unique sequencer in my lineup
Circadian Rhythms
Trigger Riot
Frames
Pressure Points + Brains
Squarp Pyramid + CV.OCD
Ableton, Max for Live and ES-3/ES-5
pyjamarama
verbos VM every day
bgribble
Another +1 for NerdSeq. The “tracker” style looks way more intimidating than it is in practice, if you are like me and never used tracker software. It’s just an efficient and somewhat quirky way of using limited visual space to convey a lot of information. The built in sample player tracks are just gravy. 6 full channels of CV, gate, and mod with 4 independent CV inputs and a lot of modulation options — very few other sequencers can match that.
BrokenBo
Verbos vms, rene 2 or 1
bkbirge
Best for me so far: Engine w/CV i/o

Most fun: any 8 step simple basic sequencer like Doepfer or Ladik or many others, just so much fun to tweak on the fly but not very versatile.

Honorable mention: Division 6's Dual Mini Sequencer, also lots of fun, great bang for the buck, not quite as immediate as the basic 8 step vintage styles nor nearly as versatile as more modern offerings like the Engine but a great little unit.
tonymasiello
userfriendly wrote:
I've had the ER-101 (no 102 yet waah ) for a few months now. It is incredible. And I believe it can be fairly immediate depending on what you are doing. I wonder sometimes about getting a second one. But seeing as I have only scratched the surface....maybe I shouldn't. Either way, I believe that the ER-101 is the most versatile and advanced sequencer out there. If it looks too involved at first glance, look again. and then once more. It is beautifully intuitive and fast.

I also recently acquired an ER-101 (no 102 yet for me too) to pair with my Stillson Hammer mkII. I am already surprised at some of the simple tricks I can quickly achieve on the ER-101 that I cannot do on the SH. I'm still learning it, but only a couple of weeks in, and I already seeing it as a sequencer capable of both intricate composition and immediate playability.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3