MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Favorite sequencer?
evanc
Looking for some opinions on what sequencers you all like, what you use them for, etc.

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes.. probably just not using it to its full potential, or using it as it was intended, but with so many other sequencers out there why settle for something you don't absolutely love, right?
selfdestroyer
When I first came to modular I was so used to pad based sequencers like the Akai MPC series (I still use my MPC 2k and 2KXL a lot). That being said I found the Beat Step Pro to be an easy transition. I still use it some today and will probably never get rid of it since its easy to setup quickly.

Now that I have had my modular rig awhile, I use quite a few for different uses. I have a Rene v2 that is my main sequencer (The touch is MUCH better on the v2, I have had no issues with miss touches at all) and I use the Voltage Block but have found I use it more for automation than for sequencing ever since I picked up the Rene v2.

I also have a Pressure Points with Brains that I really like using for drones and hands on manual note changes or shifting the uScale.

Last i have a Moskwa that I love the random feature on and don't use it nearly enough as I should.

I feel like I am still searching/trying out different sequencers to match my work flow and helping me make my flow more constructed. Less work to bang out something that is in my head.
evanc
selfdestroyer wrote:
I have a Rene v2 that is my main sequencer (The touch is MUCH better on the v2, I have had no issues with miss touches at all) and I use the Voltage Block but have found I use it more for automation than for sequencing ever since I picked up the Rene v2.

funny you should mention that, i am actually looking at the voltage block as one of the potential replacements/supplementations for the rene v1.. mostly because there is one available locally for cheap. how does your use of the two differ?
Zymos
Five12 Vector. For me, it ticks all the boxes. But there are so many things out there, and many have completely different approaches.

I owned René v1 for a good while, and loved it, but eventually sold it. It's very much it's own thing, which I thought was cool.

Another one I've been digging lately is the Pittsburgh microsequence. It's small, affordable, easy to use, but fairly deep.
Pighood
Moskwa. My ideal sequencer.
roolbg
Looking at tiptop z8000 and qubit pulsar
base615
I’m yet to find a perfect sequencer. Everything has one annoying element for me. The closest I’ve found is Varigate 8+ with Voltage Block but, to perfectly illustrate my point, why on earth would they put the jacks at the bottom FFS!
cackland
Orthogonal Devices ER101 for precise sequencing..

Tempted by Rene V2, just for that immediacy.
BTG
sequencer is such a broad term it could be used to apply from everything from a Marbles to an Eloquencer.

What are you looking for? CV and gate? Gate only? CV only? Size? Number of steps? Precise or generative?

I have ER-101/102, Moskwa, Octone, Steppy, Permutations/Variation, Algorhythm, A-149-1/A-118, Marbles, Z8000, Trigger Riot...and have had the Eloquencer, SQ-816, and others.

Depends really on what you want.
diller
evanc wrote:
Looking for some opinions on what sequencers you all like, what you use them for, etc.

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes.. probably just not using it to its full potential, or using it as it was intended, but with so many other sequencers out there why settle for something you don't absolutely love, right?

Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

How big is your system? How many voices do you need to cover? Are you looking for something racked? Not racked? CV/gate only? Or MIDI?

Your options start to diminish when you figure out what you need to be in love with your sequencer. Divide and conquer my friend!
glassofwater
NerdSEQ really is the best I've ever used. Once MIDI gets implemented for real and the expanders come out I don't think I'll ever need anything else.
evanc
diller wrote:
evanc wrote:

Sounds like you need to lick your fingers before you play. Or do the Jaco and carry around a friend chicken bone. Your fingers are too dry for your Rene.

How big is your system? How many voices do you need to cover? Are you looking for something racked? Not racked? CV/gate only? Or MIDI?

Your options start to diminish when you figure out what you need to be in love with your sequencer. Divide and conquer my friend!

good idea WRT making it easier for the electricity to bridge my fingers, i'll try that

my system is small by muffwiggler standards, 2x 84hp with a 104hp skiff thats got 2 small modules in it

racked would be preferred, but not required. cv/gate only is fine.

i am drawn to the er-101 since its held in such high regard, but i don't think that i need it by any means.
electricfence
I tend to reach for my Bastl Popcorn first, but I recently got a Befaco Muxlicer that I also
really like.
cackland
BTG wrote:
sequencer is such a broad term it could be used to apply from everything from a Marbles to an Eloquencer.

This is true, so I'll add to my 'sequencer' list then - Permutation + Variant, Marbles...
tau_seti
Metropolis of course.
blakeq
I like my sequencers cheap and cheerful and easy to use.

Love the beatstep pro for what you get for the price and the interface is great

Just get a magnetic usb cord for it (so the cord will not wear the USB port out. ).

Love the korg sq1 for a cheap easy to use sequencer
insoul8
lfo + offset/attenuation + s&h + quantizer
Jaypee
ER 101 and 102 for precision. What you can do with this combo is insane. by far the most advanced sequencer in eurorack. It can be dead simple, or dead sophisticated.

Perfectly completed by a René (MK1 here).
For the opposite reasons of ER 101/102.
Thinking about buying a MK2 because of the touch...big pb.
Rigo
Doepfer A-155 + A-155 + A-154 + A-150-8 + ... hihi

Though I also like the Klee thumbs up
windchill
insoul8 wrote:
lfo + offset/attenuation + s&h + quantizer

This, and the many variations and extensions of it.
-S.L-
Rigo wrote:
Doepfer A-155 + A-155 + A-154 + A-150-8 + ... hihi

This too.

I have Rene V2, Octone, Metropolis, NerdSeq, I had ER101/102 (horrendous work flow), Rene V1...

Nothing beats the fun and immediacy of Doepfer modules for instant pleasure and satisfaction.
exper
tau_seti wrote:
Metropolis of course.

This right here. Above all of my other sequencers. Never fails to inspire me.
ngarjuna
evanc wrote:

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes...

Prices on the René v1 seem to have crashed with the release of v2 (and there seem to be a ton of them out there). Worth a try but not a great time to cash in an early René. Unless you don’t care about the money it might make more sense to get to know René better (and just add an additional sequencer to address what René isn’t doing for you).

René v1 only outputs triggers in SNAKE mode. In Euclidean mode it passes the clock length through as a gate. So for longer gates you can just feed it clocks with a longer duty cycle (of course you would also need to feed it an X and Y clock in that mode so a divider of some kind is handy). Or, as I prefer, send your skinny pulses into something like Maths to increase their length (which is now easily modulated as well) and keep using René in SNAKE mode.
evanc
ngarjuna wrote:
evanc wrote:

i've got a rene v1 that i don't quite love, probably going to try to sell it. i don't love the touchpads, even with sensitivity at full i have to lay my fingers across them really deliberately. i also don't love the workflow. so far i've been primarily sequencing pitch with it, and using the x/y "gate" outputs (even though they're actually pulses from what i understand) to power an ALM PNW to trigger actual gates and envelopes...

Prices on the René v1 seem to have crashed with the release of v2 (and there seem to be a ton of them out there). Worth a try but not a great time to cash in an early René. Unless you don’t care about the money it might make more sense to get to know René better (and just add an additional sequencer to address what René isn’t doing for you).

René v1 only outputs triggers in SNAKE mode. In Euclidean mode it passes the clock length through as a gate. So for longer gates you can just feed it clocks with a longer duty cycle (of course you would also need to feed it an X and Y clock in that mode so a divider of some kind is handy). Or, as I prefer, send your skinny pulses into something like Maths to increase their length (which is now easily modulated as well) and keep using René in SNAKE mode.

very good points, and good to know regarding the triggers only being in snake mode. i think i'll just stick with it for now, after getting that tip earlier about licking my finger first, which as a concept is really funny to have to do, it is actually a lot snappier so less frustration there.
denuir
I am impressed by the Erica Synths Drum Sequencer as a master. Using it to trigger percussion while driving other sequencers like René is leading me into a ton of really inspiring territory. I get to maintain some elements of more straight/traditional percussion while arriving at all manner of non-traditional happy accidents. Just what I always wanted!
DeepSeaDriver
nerdseq for sure, though i also have a rene 2 for knobbin
Franktree
Won't be available for a while, but I think this could make for a very fun sequencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrjQqwz9Us[url]
gonkulator
Franktree wrote:
Won't be available for a while, but I think this could make for a very fun sequencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrjQqwz9Us[url]

Yes, definitely.
Skilling
René
Pressure Points + Brains
Elektron Analog Keys (if it counts?)
...and I quite like the seq and arp on Grandmother for simple stuff.
101010oxo
Moskwa and Turing Machine (I use two!).
blipson
diller wrote:

Research conducted at https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163637&start=1000 turns up Neutrogena Hand Cream (concentrated or regular) as an excellent recoverer of your fingertips' natural conductivity.
Ears
My Varigate 8+ w/Voltage Block is sort of core to a lot of what I do. I used to be like "I love it but it's got hella bugs," but the recent 2.0 update fixed the issues that made my love conditional.
doubleohno
Been using a tb03 until recently but hated the storage/pattern sequencing. Sold it to fund a stepper acid, looking forward to it!
PLNB
OP-Z will be my go to sequencer once the CV module is released. If I need more channels to run, OCD and an iconnectivity box to run the show.
Ears
My other favorite is only half Eurorack. Love using Patterning 2 with my Hermod.
KöterRanzig
I would say, sequencers are pitch based loops. So my main question is always, how many channels of cv/gate can be programmed, which extra modulation options are avaiable, how many steps can be used, how useful is the interface and what is about some extra features every single module can have, which differs to other options on the market.

Some are really good for free form and improvisation and there are some others, which are based on a straight forward interface, where u have to dial in every single change, but can be saved and recalled.

it really depends on which music you like to play, which interfaces appeal to you, what kind of music you like to produce. I mean there is a huge difference between programming sequences, record and arrange them and the possibilities of playing live, where it can be playback as well but also mixed with spontaneaus gestures.

Personally, I like to build an own routing every new patch and this almost means getting some sequencers hooked up in a different way, where they can interact between each other, for getting some interesting always evolving motions and overlapping repitition. This means, some sequencers just playback data and some others will be used for affecting these, to reduce static sounds.

my sequencers are: stillson hammer mkII, perfect for programming in and change these bits with external cvs, for continues evolving sequences. brains + pressure points, more the gesture based controller/sequencer
mfb - seq-03, a workhorse which is really cryptic, some notes will be helpful. Can be cv, gate, env or lfo.
Varigate 8+ gate and probability sequencer, good for beats and random gates, especially if presets are changed in song mode (also this module is used for saving presets of the Voltage block and the Quad env as well).
Mimetic digitalis, simple sequencer with less hp but interesting ways of interacting with external cvs and gates.
a-160 + a-138, simple 4 step cv sequencer.
mutant brain + squarp pyramid/octatrack the midi cv/gate Interface monsters.

I really like every single sequencer module I have, every bit got an aspect which is useful in my setup.
atte
2x beatstep pro -> midi merger/splitter -> 2x cv.ocd. Very flexible, love it w00t

The fun starts when you "target" the same trigger or cv from both units, each running at different divisions, patterns lengths and/or random settings.

Some action on my youtube, in this track hands-on is limited to switching chains, muting the lead channel when playing the lead live and a bit of roller-action.

DJMaytag
I’m still waiting for something to be considered my favorite, and until then... Reason + Expert Sleepers hardware is sufficient for my needs.

That said, I don’t know if it’s possible for that perfect sequencer to be created. I’d want something that had multiple CV/gate tracks with at least one configurable mod output, multitrack triggering with probability per step AND dynamic gate outputs, an option for MIDI I/O (expander module), another option for extra configurable mod outputs (ie MOD2 for track X, independent CV source for syncable LFO’s, ENV’s etc), and a USB host port for being able to plug in a USB MIDI controller.

Not too tall an order, is it? smile
knifey
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 is still one of my favourite sequencers. Not a multi-track/pattern, but with 3 additional CV outs that can send out either stepped values (independently programmed) or one of 3 tempo-synced internal LFOs (all of which has a level control and uni/bi range selection - no need for extra attenuators/verters!). Also has a few nifty sequencer modes, like skip, odd, even. Super playable as well.
evanc
blipson wrote:
diller wrote:

Research conducted at https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163637&start=1000 turns up Neutrogena Hand Cream (concentrated or regular) as an excellent recoverer of your fingertips' natural conductivity.

i'll give that a shot too.. and drinking more water probably wouldn't help either!
Bob Borries
MidiMac
Multiverse_Eros
I have my FLXS1 that I really like for writing stuff but it just isn't great for quick hands on play like a Rene is. I was debating on trying to trade it for an eloquencer or something--I feel particularly picky about sequencers for some reason
Brennanib
Love the Monome sequencing between WW and Ansible
Really dig the Eloquencer as well super good at random but has its bugs
Love the Flxs1 and arps per step, modulation etc. But is also buggy.

I’ve have and had a few others and these are the three I use currently
I had a Rene Great sequencer but not really my thing, Pressure Points and Brains is fun and always loved using those with O_c, Honestly Ornament and Crime is great if you don’t mind a little diving. Personallly looking at getting that module again
userfriendly
I've had the ER-101 (no 102 yet waah ) for a few months now. It is incredible. And I believe it can be fairly immediate depending on what you are doing. I wonder sometimes about getting a second one. But seeing as I have only scratched the surface....maybe I shouldn't. Either way, I believe that the ER-101 is the most versatile and advanced sequencer out there. If it looks too involved at first glance, look again. and then once more. It is beautifully intuitive and fast.
evileye0702
Eloquencer is the one I used the most within the box. Tons of features but pretty easy to use.

Outside the box it is Koma Komplex. So immediately easy to use only a few settings in one layer of "menus". Tons of modulation points. MIDI, CV and Gate. Made Metropolis redundant for me.

I also use
Rene - probably the most unique sequencer in my lineup
Circadian Rhythms
Trigger Riot
Frames
Pressure Points + Brains
Squarp Pyramid + CV.OCD
Ableton, Max for Live and ES-3/ES-5
pyjamarama
verbos VM every day
bgribble
Another +1 for NerdSeq. The “tracker” style looks way more intimidating than it is in practice, if you are like me and never used tracker software. It’s just an efficient and somewhat quirky way of using limited visual space to convey a lot of information. The built in sample player tracks are just gravy. 6 full channels of CV, gate, and mod with 4 independent CV inputs and a lot of modulation options — very few other sequencers can match that.
BrokenBo
Verbos vms, rene 2 or 1
bkbirge
Best for me so far: Engine w/CV i/o

Most fun: any 8 step simple basic sequencer like Doepfer or Ladik or many others, just so much fun to tweak on the fly but not very versatile.

Honorable mention: Division 6's Dual Mini Sequencer, also lots of fun, great bang for the buck, not quite as immediate as the basic 8 step vintage styles nor nearly as versatile as more modern offerings like the Engine but a great little unit.
tonymasiello
userfriendly wrote:
I've had the ER-101 (no 102 yet waah ) for a few months now. It is incredible. And I believe it can be fairly immediate depending on what you are doing. I wonder sometimes about getting a second one. But seeing as I have only scratched the surface....maybe I shouldn't. Either way, I believe that the ER-101 is the most versatile and advanced sequencer out there. If it looks too involved at first glance, look again. and then once more. It is beautifully intuitive and fast.

I also recently acquired an ER-101 (no 102 yet for me too) to pair with my Stillson Hammer mkII. I am already surprised at some of the simple tricks I can quickly achieve on the ER-101 that I cannot do on the SH. I'm still learning it, but only a couple of weeks in, and I already seeing it as a sequencer capable of both intricate composition and immediate playability.
tonymasiello
knifey wrote:
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 is still one of my favourite sequencers. Not a multi-track/pattern, but with 3 additional CV outs that can send out either stepped values (independently programmed) or one of 3 tempo-synced internal LFOs (all of which has a level control and uni/bi range selection - no need for extra attenuators/verters!). Also has a few nifty sequencer modes, like skip, odd, even. Super playable as well.

This was one of my first euro purchases. I no longer use it, but I will say that the three clock synced LFOs are a really cool and really useful feature. When I got Pam's New Workout, I thought I finally had a replacement for these, but turns out PNW does not do bipolar LFOs, so more utility required.
RaB
bkbirge wrote:
Best for me so far: Engine w/CV i/o

Most fun: any 8 step simple basic sequencer like Doepfer or Ladik or many others, just so much fun to tweak on the fly but not very versatile.

Couldn't put that any better! Though these simpletons grow with what you surround them with.
For me two Penta s (aiming for three), wiggling and flicking those 3/4/5 switches is just great fun and cannot be more immediate.

Prizma for more elaborate sequences or a quick random run.

Struggled a while with Rene for its unreliable touch surfaces. Too bad it doesn't work for me.

Thinking of getting a Bindubba...
starthief
Currently using:

Maschine mk2 + CV.OCD
Teletype
Marbles
Sputnik 5-Step Voltage Source
Korg SQ-1
Hemisphere Suite
Stages

To me that's a nice combination of fully programmable, algorithmic, and hands-on simple sequencing with different addressing modes, merging of sequencing with modulation, manipulation of trigger streams, etc.
pedalhead
Five12 Vector has me covered like a jimmy hat.
BlackDoors
I’ve got Rene 2, ER-101/102 and Vector.

All great...... but Vector is the one for me right now.
brandonlogic
nerdseq is about to get even more powerful.
you will be able to connect multiple instances of these expander modules for over 100 additional channels of sequencing power.
nothing else touches this in terms of sequencing power in eurorack.

Mark II
I have the Xaoc Tirana II (2x), Qu-Bit Octone and the BSP which I use depending on the patch. Three different beasts.
tau_seti
The Five12 Vector Sequencer is unbelievable. It’s worth every HP.
helix
a daw or keyboard and some musical know how......

jokes.

i only have an sq-8 and a RYO cv secuencer at the moment with a ladik s-210. I can change key with midi, but im finding myself getting bored quicly with a 16step sequncer,,
induktor
tau_seti wrote:
The Five12 Vector Sequencer is unbelievable. It’s worth every HP.

As a long time Numerology user, this looks very intriguing.
Nightly Closures
Engine and stillson hammer mk2. I can use them together or just one on it’s own. Extremely different results when used individually and it’s been great either way. The engine was very much my ideal sequencer. However, I’ve been blown away with the SHMK2. They both end up being very playable. I’d love to try the Komplex one day.
natureclubcassettes
maybe a bad answer, but nothing beats the combination of a short (>8 steps) step sequencer + attenuated random voltages into a quantizer into a precision adder and sequential switch, patched in various configurations. I use the gate outs of an Octone in random mode to trigger things as well.

i have been enjoying making Feldman-like lines and repetitions using clock divisions and different types of random voltages into this mix.
bemushroomed
Stepper Acid, mostly since I love using slides and accents + you can make a nice melody in a couple of seconds. It also has a Song mode.

Very no-nonsense, easy to learn and use. But most of all it's fun, very playable.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3