MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thank you Doepfer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Thank you Doepfer!
Phitar
Thank you Mr. Doepfer for the "little" utility modules that make such a BIG difference in sound and sound possibilities!

Today I added two new modules to my system: The A150 Dual VCS (Voltage Controlled Switch) and the A185-2 (Precision Adder).

Holly shit! These things are awesome!

My first patch using these and I'm as happy as a pig in shit!

A185-2 shifting octaves on Klavis Twin Waves and A150 switching those waveforms at audio rates and also swapping Plonk and TT One percussion on the second channel. Very nice!

If I ever figure out how to record this neat shit I'll share.

Nice to know that small; rather inexpensive modules can add so much.
adolfgottmann
I’d say thanks Doepfer, period. We all are here thanks to Dieter.
I am really ashamed of having zero Doepfer in my rig. I intend to put it right asap.
Shakespeare
I'd do the same, except that once upon a time (1998-2001), before I took a long break from music, I had a 15U system that was nearly all Doepfer... so I've definitely put in my for Dieter. But if I expand beyond my current 9U, I'll be adding the switches, at least.
jvt
Another "thank you" for Doepfer! I started the modular journey many years ago with his stuff and over a decade later I still have quite a bit of Doepfer across different systems. I consider them a reliable foundation to almost every case.
deke
I am very new to this, but noticed almost every advice post had recommendations for Doepfer this or that, so I took notice. I have a A-140, A-156, A-151 and A-185-2 and am very happy with all of them and use them all the time. SO thank you from me as well.
MvK
also the new oscillators are great. I've bought the micro precision vco and the tru zero sine osc for 200 € together used and they are very good. The micro is very basic and small but delivers everything I want from it in high quality. The 110-4 is very deep. They complete my vco setup in a basic, cheap but high quality way.
deftinwulf
I echo the sentiment of deep appreciation for Doepfer. I planned on getting a Wasp filter for the longest time as my contribution of to Dieter, but the inherent instability of that circuit, and propensity for it to burn up on switching PSUs (which I have) has regrettably forced me to continue the search for the "right" first Doepfer module. I'm thinking about getting the PLL, now. smokin'
Hyberus
There's a lot of good Doepfer stuff, but also some things that are not so good. I made the mistake of buying the Extreme filter (A-106-1) having liked the Korg MS20 back in the day. One thing it definitely isn't is Extreme!

Still, they got me started when I was finally able to take the plunge into modular heaven four years ago, so thanks Dieter.
Estes
Doepfer is fantastic. Love it, can't say it enough.
BTG
Before everyone started coming out with their wacky and expensive random modules Doepfer had their A-118 and A-149-1 RCV which are ace and reasonably priced.

Funny enough I was one of those "Ewww, Doepfer" types early on, and over time I've continued to collect more and more. Some very underrated modules include the A-141-2 VCADSR and A-143-3 Quad LFO. Pair the latter with a SISM or Blinds and you're set for quad LFO goodness
Blairio
My gateway drug into Eurorack was a Doepfer Dark Energy mk1, quickly augmented by a 32hp mini case with an A-110 vco. That was 6 years ago. I now have a 18u of euro, with Deopfer still playing a prominent part. My Favourite Doepfer modules are A118, A149-1 & A149-2, A156, A132-3, A1881, A199, A138, A102, and A140. And I still have my Dark Energy....

Great designs, well made and very reasonably priced.
DonKartofflo
their a-140 and 141 envelopes are so damn percussive and the price, especially in the EU is damn right.
GNSDG
DonKartofflo wrote:
their a-140 and 141 envelopes are so damn percussive and the price, especially in the EU is damn right.

Amen. Can't get enough. Ironically was just messing around with a little 5-module Doepfer voice last night and thinking how much I love my A-140. Kinda repetitive but worth listening to if you're curious about Doepfer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zo91owyfr77fjz/tottering%20melodica.mp3?dl= 0
MindMachine
Doepfer keep coming out with interesting and useful modules after all of these years. Many of the new 4HP modules are very good and dense in their function, as are a few of the newer ADSR modules.

I plan on adding A-160-2 Clock Divider, A-184-1 T & H/S & H/Slew, A-110-4 TZVCO and possibly A-123-2 Hi-Pass VCF (which is new also).

Just received the A-160-5 Mutiplier/Ratchet, A-104 Trautonium Filter Bank and A-140-2 Dual ADSR to add to my 28 other Doepfer.

And Dieter still personally answers nearly all technical questions personally.

w00t
jvt
Hyberus wrote:
There's a lot of good Doepfer stuff, but also some things that are not so good. I made the mistake of buying the Extreme filter (A-106-1) having liked the Korg MS20 back in the day. One thing it definitely isn't is Extreme!

As all things in life, it all comes down to taste. It's true the A-106-1 is not an accurate MS-20 clone (and the product description actually says so), but I find it one of the more unique filters in eurorack having it's own character. And it's easy to forget that it's over 15 years old making it fair to classify it as "extreme" for the time in that it was very unconventional. Instead of a traditional filter response it's somewhat like a tube filter (think Metasonix). I consider the A-106-1 one of those modules that I intend to keep and enjoy for a long time.
Blairio
For filter craziness, try the Doepfer Diode Filter: A102. It is madder than a bucket of frogs, and absurdly cheap.

Also, if you are into low pass gates, check out the A101-2. In addition to being a cool LPG it can be a straight 12db low pass filter, or a straight VCA. Or, (and here is the very cool part) , with gates you can toggle between the three modes. Awesome.
ugokcen
I don’t know how Dieter can make such quality stuff at those prices, but deserves more credit as a businessman. And the modules are always available!

A few favorites:

A-149-1, the source of uncertainty. Around 100 euros, there’s no reason to not get this.

A-170, dual slew limiter. So you don’t have to sacrifice a channel of maths for a bit of portamento. It also works great for turning stepped random voltages into fluctuating random voltages.

A-106-5, sem filter. Stellar sound, put any oscillator into it and you’ll be making music in no time. Low-pass is great for basslines, and the notch is great on chord/music samples.
Bignorthumbrian
deftinwulf wrote:
I echo the sentiment of deep appreciation for Doepfer. I planned on getting a Wasp filter for the longest time as my contribution of to Dieter, but the inherent instability of that circuit, and propensity for it to burn up on switching PSUs (which I have) has regrettably forced me to continue the search for the "right" first Doepfer module. I'm thinking about getting the PLL, now. smokin'

I’ve had one for over four years and have happily used it with Doepfer switched psu’s with no problems whatsoever.
MvK
MindMachine wrote:
Doepfer keep coming out with interesting and useful modules after all of these years. Many of the new 4HP modules are very good and dense in their function, as are a few of the newer ADSR modules.

I plan on adding A-160-2 Clock Divider, A-184-1 T & H/S & H/Slew, A-110-4 TZVCO and possibly A-123-2 Hi-Pass VCF (which is new also).

Just received the A-160-5 Mutiplier/Ratchet, A-104 Trautonium Filter Bank and A-140-2 Dual ADSR to add to my 28 other Doepfer.

And Dieter still personally answers nearly all technical questions personally.

w00t

I got the a-184-1 as a my first doepfer right after it came out and I was a little underwhelmed because I found it not possible to set the slew to absolute zero, even with slew at minimum there is a little bit of slew wich is not perfect if you only want to use it as a S&H. But knowing doepfer that might only be sth. like changing a resistor value, but I didn't bother to ask Mr. Doepfer. I think I'll do that at some point. The RM is also not the best imo (But I'm comparing it to Cwejman and Vermona which cost a multitude). So that imo an example of a doepfer module that doesn't work for me. That held me off buying more doepfer modules. The a-133 dual polarizer is also quite noisy but great for CV. But now, using the 110-4 and 111-3 oscillators I'm a fanboy. These modules have a precision I initially didn't think Doepfer is capable of.

Regarding the 140-2: I actually want 2 envelopes and would buy two of the frequency central x-envelope, I already have one and love it but miss CV ins. Can someone confirm that the 140-2 can be equally fat punchy and a bit rolandesque?

thx
Blicken Synths
Blairio wrote:
My gateway drug into Eurorack was a Doepfer Dark Energy mk1

My journey started exactly the same. Got a Dark Energy, then a doepfer system and then went on from there.

When I started the eurorack store I knew I had to sell Doepfer. I've put together a 6u 208hp demo system which includes the A-124SE, A138s and a A-140
andybizarre
MvK wrote:

Regarding the 140-2: I actually want 2 envelopes and would buy two of the frequency central x-envelope, I already have one and love it but miss CV ins. Can someone confirm that the 140-2 can be equally fat punchy and a bit rolandesque?

thx

It is. Having the old humble A-140, I was a little bit worried about the missing range switch of A-140-2. I can tell you, the timing is very well scaled, in a musical way like the single channel A-140. You can find the exact timing ranges on the Doepfer website.

When I got the A-140-2, I spent some time configuring the jumpers. I mostly need CV over decay, but after some wiggling around I felt that switching the CV in setting on the frontplate would be handy. Now I have to make a Xaoc Poti-style expander.. There are 5 jumpers, so a plain 10-pin ribbon can be used. w00t

And I had to invert the time CV polarity setting (JP4/7). When using the BSP`s velocity output, the CV in felt "upside down", in my understanding.
MvK
thx @andybizarre

so I'm torn between the 140-2 and the zadar. very different I know. I like the quad aspect of the zadar, but damn I looove analog envelopes. Also I more and more use different gate lengths if possible CVed and that doesn't get together with zadar.

hmmmm
ersatzplanet
Bignorthumbrian wrote:
deftinwulf wrote:

I’ve had one for over four years and have happily used it with Doepfer switched psu’s with no problems whatsoever.

Remember Doepfer PSU3, the switcher based one, has linear regulators after the switching circuits (at least the +/-12V ones, not on the +5V). This makes all the difference. Most switching supplies do not do this.
Yodhan
I agree. When I made my first foray into modular, I believed some of the hype on the ‘new and hot’ modules and ignored the Doepfer ones. Now, in my second gonat eurorack, I have realized the many Doepfer modules are perfectly fine and can be had for fairly cheap, especially used. I picked up a couple modulation sources recently and am enjoying them a lot. I have a list of modules that I would like to get and a fair few are Doepfer.
Luap
deftinwulf wrote:

I doubt switching PSU's has anything to do with fried Wasp filters? Mine blew on a Doepfer PSU 2 (linear) power supply. I since fixed the filter with a better (imho) chip, which so far hasn't blown in around 3 years of use.
And what a fantastic filter it is too!

Anyway, im a Doepfer fan also thumbs up I still own some of Doepfers earliest products, a MAQ 16/3 and MS404, which supposedly was the precursor to all their eurorack modules.
I only got into Eurocrack relatively recently, but I have a good number of Doepfer modules too now cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2