MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-2 Configuration/Preset Confusion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH-2 Configuration/Preset Confusion
toneburst
Hi,

sorry if this is a stupid question, or another FTFM case (like my Launch Control XL one in another thread), but I'm afraid I'm a little confused about the relationship between FH-2 Configurations and Presets, or in fact, if there is one.

From reading the very brief explanation in the manual, it looks as if there are a total of 30 slots in memory for each, and that there is no link between them- ie Presets and Configurations can be loaded completely independently.

While this seems super flexible, I'm confused about how this works in practice. For example, if a preset contains settings for a number of Euclidean patterns, but the currently-loaded configuration doesn't map any outputs to Euclidean pattern generators, loading the preset will presumably not produce Euclidean trigger patterns at any output.

Am I misreading the manual, and there are in fact 30 Presets for each Configuration, so when you load a given Configuration, you can save and recall 30 'states' of the configured outputs?

That would seem to make more sense to me, but maybe I'm looking at things the wrong way.
toneburst
Incidentally, I'm finding the FH-2 partners very well with the Arturia Beatstep Pro.
macs4music
This confused me as well!

FH-2 behaving very well though, especially with Maths.

Neil
os
Quote:
Am I misreading the manual, and there are in fact 30 Presets for each Configuration, so when you load a given Configuration, you can save and recall 30 'states' of the configured outputs?

No. There are just 30 of each, completely independent, as you say.

The conceptual split is between setup (configuration) and performance (preset).
toneburst
os wrote:
Quote:

No. There are just 30 of each, completely independent, as you say.

The conceptual split is between setup (configuration) and performance (preset).

Thanks for the clarification @os.

I have to say, this doesn't really make sense to me. In many cases, surely, data stored in a Preset state won't be correctly recalled because the current Configuration won't match the way the physical outputs were setup when the Preset was saved.

I'm sure I'm missing something, because I'm sure the system Does work, I just can't get my head around it at the moment.

Also, I question the decision to reduce the number pf presets to 30. If you have 30 Configurations saved, that's only one Preset per Config. If you're going to use Presets, you're likely to want several for each Configuration, I'd have thought.

Again, I'm probably misunderstanding how Presets and Configurations are supposed to work, so maybe it's not as much of a problem as I envisage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1