MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I want a Minibrute (1), kind of
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author I want a Minibrute (1), kind of
IR
I hate these kinds of threads, but I can't really decide if I want to buy it or not. It's a NOS, not used. Not a Minibrute 2.

Pros:
1. Has lots of features.
2. Vibrato in addition to the LFO.
3. Triangle VCO (many synths don't have this)
4. Sine wave on the sub-oscillator.
5. Arpeggiator
6. You can add an extra external LFO to the filter, VCO and amp.

Things I don't care about (neutral basically):
1. Super-saw
2. Wavefolder on the triangle wave
3. Keyboard. I'd probably use it if it's there, but I already have MIDI keyboards.
4. I don't need another CV/gate converter.

Cons:
1. Sine wave can't be used at the same or higher pitch than the regular oscillator.
2. Only 2 octaves on the keyboard, would prefer 2 and a half.
3, You can't shut off the velocity on the keyboard if you want to use it externally.

I'm not really looking for something else if I don't get this. If I don't get it I won't put off getting a modular case and a bunch of modules. So it's apples or oranges.

I've looked at other alternatives, but they won't do either:
a. MiniBrute 2. It's cool that it has the more flexible sine wave and second LFO, but the layout is not as clear and the patch bay too complicated for my tastes (although I do like it's on the top and not the back).
b. MiniBrute 2S: same problems as the 2, plus I hate encoders for the sequencer, would prefer potentiometers.
c. Behringer MS-101: cool that it has a triangle VCO, as opposed to the SH-101, and the 2 1/2 octave keyboard is more my style (of course I cannot comment on the feel of the keys as I haven't played one), but I really want a sine wave oscillator.
d. MicroBrute: no sine wave, I hate the keys (I played one, also played a MiniBrute) and I would prefer an arpeggiator to a sequencer.
ObsoleteModular
Get it

It’s the only way to find out

If I get something and it’s not right I just flip it straight away. If I lose money I just call it ‘finding out tax’!
starthief
Go for it. I have a Microbrute and I only use the triangle (without the folder) 90% of the time.

It saturates a little bit if you crank the level fully, and then if you bring up the Brute Factor while the filter is fully open it saturates more:



It does that dynamically, and this isn't even messing with the filter cutoff or resonance, or getting things into ranges where Brute Factor adds grunge or really flips out. It makes great basses like this.

I feel like if I could easily duplicate that in my other synths I might let the Microbrute go -- but I can't get as close as I would like. I can just dial it right in in seconds on the Microbrute.

I don't know if the Minibrute is identical in how it saturates (I think the Brute Factor is a bit different) but it's probably great anyway.
Technologear?
I know you passed on the Micro, but I have kept my Microbrute mainly for it's sequencer. I can't shake how damn immediate it is. I never play the keyboard live, only to input sequences. You can input appregiator style sequences and transpose them live.
Getting either of the first generation brutes is worth a shot. I've played mine way more than I expected.
thevegasnerve
The Minibrute is a unique and wonderful sounding synth. You have to really work the oscillator waves to find the sweet spots, but this also makes it a really great performance instrument. The filter cutoff is really interesting in the mod wheel, but just trying to work the filter/resonance knob isn’t as inspiring for me. Get a used one and dig deep into it, forget about what it’s missing. A very talented guy designed that beast. I love the band pass and notch filter settings, so musical..
Flareless
+1 for the original Minibrute

I run mine through a series of stompboxes plus I feed the headphone output back into the Audio Input for extra fun.

While it has its shortcomings the original Minibrute is still a great little synthesizer that can often surprise.

[s]http://bit.ly/2SbZ4vv[/s]
IR
ObsoleteModular wrote:
If I get something and it’s not right I just flip it straight away.

Now that's pretty stupid, you wont even have enough time to know if you really like it.


Technologear? wrote:
I know you passed on the Micro, but I have kept my Microbrute mainly for it's sequencer. I can't shake how damn immediate it is. I never play the keyboard live, only to input sequences. You can input appregiator style sequences and transpose them live.
Getting either of the first generation brutes is worth a shot. I've played mine way more than I expected.

A friend's MicroBrute was at my house for a day or two last summer, so I did mess with it pretty long. In the end, I ended up hating all the sounds I made with it except for a simple square wave modulated by a triangle LFO.

Actually I don't feel I spent long enough to make sure I hate all the other sounds it can make, but I definitely spent enough time to know for sure that I hate that keybed.

I did play another friend's MiniBrute, really just tried out the keys and I like how they felt. I didn't really mess with it otherwise.
Feinstrom
Let me just turn your neutrals into pros:
IR wrote:
1. Super-saw

Just use it slightly detuned, like two detuned saw oscillators. You might have a use for that...

IR wrote:
2. Wavefolder on the triangle wave

This is one of the best sound-sculpting features of the Minibrute! Use it very carefully and listen for amazing results!

IR wrote:
3. Keyboard. I'd probably use it if it's there, but I already have MIDI keyboards.

That's what I had thought initially. But it's a godsend for use with the arpeggiator.

IR wrote:
4. I don't need another CV/gate converter.

Maybe in a space-limited live setup you might need one.

Oh, and always remember to keep the "Brute Factor" pot at the extreme left position! That way you'll have a great little synth with a very variable sound way beyond many bigger synths!

Cheers,
Bert
starthief
Feinstrom wrote:
Oh, and always remember to keep the "Brute Factor" pot at the extreme left position!


Like I said, I'm not sure about the sonic differences between Microbrute and Minibrute... but if you did that on the Micro you'd be missing 90% of the magic of the synth.

Keep the saw and square at the extreme left position, play with the balance of triangle level, Brute Factor, and the filter cutoff/resonance Rockin' Banana!
hippo1
Back in the day, I picked up an original MiniBrute. Soon as I switched it on (and it warmed up!), I was immediately back in high school with my Realistic MG-1. Instant gratification, great sounds only a twist or two away. The fact that it has a nonstandard filter (meaning, NOT a Moog 24db copy) made it stand out. Same as comparing an Odyssey to a Moog, or a SEM; happily different. I'll never sell it.

There are multiple conversions out there for losing the keybed; I used gmusynth's SkiniBrute mod, and I love the form factor. [I think gmusynth is not active at this time; but there are others...]

I'm still eyeing a MiniBrute 2/2S, but not as a replacement; only to augment.
IR
hippo1 wrote:
Back in the day, I picked up an original MiniBrute. Soon as I switched it on (and it warmed up!), I was immediately back in high school with my Realistic MG-1. Instant gratification, great sounds only a twist or two away. The fact that it has a nonstandard filter (meaning, NOT a Moog 24db copy) made it stand out. Same as comparing an Odyssey to a Moog, or a SEM; happily different. I'll never sell it.

There are multiple conversions out there for losing the keybed; I used gmusynth's SkiniBrute mod, and I love the form factor. [I think gmusynth is not active at this time; but there are others...]

The MiniBrute and MG-1 are both GAS inducing.

I wouldn't remove that keyboard. It would indeed be better to have 2 1/2 octaves to get two octaves of notes in multiple keys, You could run it off of an external sequencer, but the keyboard is perfect for the arpeggiator.
IR
I actually wound up buying another red synth:

I guess I really wanted a sine wave synth that is higher in octave, this can do that and a lot of other things.

I'm sure the MiniBrute is pretty cool, with the aftertouch and all, but I didn't get it this time.
starthief
Another good choice. Reface CS and YC are on my "if I ever have room for a keyboard stand" list.
MindMachine
IR wrote:
I actually wound up buying another red synth:

I guess I really wanted a sine wave synth that is higher in octave, this can do that and a lot of other things.

I'm sure the MiniBrute is pretty cool, with the aftertouch and all, but I didn't get it this time.


I have the YC Reface and the Microbrute. Both are lovely little machines. The YC can be very versatile with restraint and some pedal processing.

starthief wrote:
Another good choice. Reface CS and YC are on my "if I ever have room for a keyboard stand" list.


Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Off-Desk-Shelf-Black-20009/dp/B00FZYT IFE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W9JHQPDTRWDHQ G0WK9N5



I have six of them in my studio. They fit a Reface and one pedal on them perfectly. There is space underneath to have other equipment.

One above my Micromoog has a Mackie Sub Mixer, a phase shifter and and a delay pedal. One on my sample station desk has a CP Reface and a CD player with Boss SP303 and many pedals under it. Above my Microbrute I have the shelf with a CS Reface and a LoFi Junky pedal. The other three are behind my console and have the YC w/ EH Mel9 pedal, Realistic Reverb, and room for whatever else I need for a session.

These Eldon shelves are great space savers.
IR
I got my reface so I can play it though synths. Finally got around to trying it through my Erebus and it's amazing, it's like those organ/strings/pad machines.

The only downside is that the rotary is stereo, and you lose that. Sounds a bit fizzy without a filter, I also tried it with a stereo filter. The YC's reverb can actually be used playing through a synth or filter and it doesn't sound bad.
starthief
MindMachine wrote:
Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Off-Desk-Shelf-Black-20009/dp/B00FZYT IFE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W9JHQPDTRWDHQ G0WK9N5



I have six of them in my studio. They fit a Reface and one pedal on them perfectly. There is space underneath to have other equipment.


I'll keep it in mind. I've got a new Euro case on the way which is going to consolidate some stuff and hopefully fit my pedals on top, so I'll have to see what kind of space I have once that's set up.

Also I've got one of these (sadly no longer available) which I hope will be freed up once I consolidate everything. A Reface would fit on it, not in the most ergonomic position but still pretty usable.

rockmanrock
IR wrote:
c. Behringer MS-101: cool that it has a triangle VCO, as opposed to the SH-101, and the 2 1/2 octave keyboard is more my style (of course I cannot comment on the feel of the keys as I haven't played one), but I really want a sine wave oscillator.


This is looking pretty good from recent vids. it's going to be the Boog all over again.

I got a Minibrute last year, one without a keyboard that needs building into a case. It's certainly an odd synth, people have got great results out of it but it's not all sweet-spot like a 101. It seems rather easy to fall into honk and buzz with all the stuff on the oscillator. I found Dripfeed's Newlife cover on the main Minibrute thread, it's excellent. Shows me I need to dig in.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/dripfeed/newlife-arturia-minibrute[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group