MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gamechanger Audio - Motor Synth Thing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Gamechanger Audio - Motor Synth Thing
Blingley

Wat.

I am confused, and intrigued, and I want one.
Ceres
SlayerBadger!

I wonder if Erica will do a eurorack version of the motor oscillators. I like this companies left field ideas like their plasma distortion. I hope they have success so they can continue to come up with more crazy ideas.
latigid on
21st century Hammond tonewheel organ.
damase
wow that just blew my mind. sounds really really good too. very ambitious and exciting project

euro oscillator would be cool too, likely more realistic price point for many. but still big applaude for the giant motor piano
GuyaGuy
Cool stuff. My first question on seeing it was about the portamento. I think they’ll need to minimize that for people to really fully take to the idea.
lisa
So extremely unnecessary.. which makes it cool. love
anselmi
GuyaGuy wrote:
Cool stuff. My first question on seeing it was about the portamento. I think they’ll need to minimize that for people to really fully take to the idea.

maybe setting the instrument to assign a different motor for each keystroke instead to changing the speed of the same one
they´d have to have all the motors spinning at a different default speed, that covers the full keyboard range. Then the processor could just pick the one spinning at the nearest frequency to the key pressed...this could reduce the distance/portamento to the minimum possible. So maybe the remain acceleration change would be heard as the "character" he wants, instead of portamento.
GuyaGuy
anselmi wrote:

maybe setting the instrument to assign a different motor for each keystroke instead to changing the speed of the same one
they´d have to have all the motors spinning at a different default speed, that covers the full keyboard range. Then the processor could just pick the one spinning at the nearest frequency to the key pressed...this could reduce the distance/portamento to the minimum possible. So maybe the remain acceleration change would be heard as the "character" he wants, instead of portamento.

Yeah when asked about the portamento he mentioned that's why there are so many motors. So I'm guessing they're planning on something along the lines og what you're describing.
red
The re-invention of the Dereux Organ...

In my archive I found some information about the Dereux organ from the sixties. This was a French invention - the generator was based on rotating discs which scanning the drawn waveforms (it was a capacitive scanning - not optical).
So, a slightly different approach to the Hammond organ - the Dereux generator was based on different wave forms / sounds (organ registers).

Here are some pictures from the manual:

Interesting to see similar invention in the year 2019, again - very exciting... good luck!

cool
Josef_K
I really like this concept with the motors, I am a fan of Hammonds and Mellotrons and this feels like the polysynth counterpart to those. Not too impressed with the sounds in the video though, but it'll be interesting to hear what this can do further down the line
dooj88
I think that pedal sounds incredible. It has some magic crunch to it.. . I'd snatch one up the instant they are released
Synth Con Meo
I think it's pretty cool myself. I've kind of had the same idea in my head about using motors. Many Many moons ago when I was in my early teens (70's) my friend and I was kind of working on a Sci-Fi movie idea. I was going to be a robot. I had a microphone that I was going to mount inside my mask. I kind of circuit bent an old AM radio (not that I knew that's what I was doing) and used it to amplify the audio.

I mounted the board in a tin can and I mounted a little electric motor in the can. The motor would spin with a little bent piece of wire. The wire would hit one of those momentary type of switches that has the little spring steel piece that when pushed would push a little button and break the circuit. I had one of the audio wires attached to the switch so when the wire arm on the motor hit the switch it would cut the audio momentarily. I was trying to make my voice more robotic that way, maybe kind of like a Vocoder.

I never really perfected it and we lost interest in the movie anyway.
EPTC
Groovy! I like it, even though the sound sounds a little underwhelming compared the engineering involved. Totally encourage them to pursue it, though. I like the ideas from that company.

I'd like the pedal version with some option to break the motors to sound more screwed up; if its direct drive maybe it's possible to tighten or loosen up the rotation - or make the rotation uneven. (or not, still the pedal version looked great)

Kind of reminded me of The Scanner.
Rex Coil 7
EPTC wrote:
Groovy! I like it, even though the sound sounds a little underwhelming compared the engineering involved. Totally encourage them to pursue it, though. I like the ideas from that company.

I'd like the pedal version with some option to break the motors to sound more screwed up; if its direct drive maybe it's possible to tighten or loosen up the rotation - or make the rotation uneven. (or not, still the pedal version looked great)

Kind of reminded me of The Scanner.
That's just a vibrato scanner out of a Hammond tonewheel generator organ. I have three of those scanners I keep handy to maintain the 1955 M3, 1952 M3, and 1962 C3 Hammonds my wife and I have. Those scanners can be bought in places like eBay for $20.00.

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1