SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

SSF Stereo Dipole filter

Post by anselmi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 pm

the era of "stereo" and "multipole" begins!

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm

I'd like to hear some demos, as they were sort of trolling make noise over it. I think they are fairly different. This definitely fits into the SSF aesthetic; clean, functional, flexible. With that said, what excited me about the MN filter was the sound and the interesting stereo effects. I'd really like to see how this stacks up sonically.
New album Innsport 86 available now:

https://repairerofreputations.bandcamp. ... nnsport-86

NoLegs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 pm

I think it will be different, but good. The samples I’ve heard so far have been mono but the filter itself sounds really great.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:10 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:they were sort of trolling make noise over it
How so?

danfastlikeflan
Common Wiggler

Post by danfastlikeflan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 am

cackland wrote:
How so?
This instagram post

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am

danfastlikeflan wrote:
cackland wrote:
How so?
This instagram post
That ain’t trolling and it ain’t "sort of" trolling.

sharkminusbear
Common Wiggler

Post by sharkminusbear » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 am

Yea not trolling at all... more like a "I've been developing a complex quad filter as well, just letting people know before they spend their money"

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Personally can't wait for Cwejman, Macbeth and Schippmann to do stereo filters.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Need demos before I would consider this over the QPAS.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Bobby wrote:Personally can't wait for Cwejman, Macbeth and Schippmann to do stereo filters.
Might be waiting a longgg time

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Bobby wrote:Personally can't wait for Cwejman, Macbeth and Schippmann to do stereo filters.
Schippman does have a stereo filter. Macbeth had a dual mono filter (Dual SVF).

Haible Dual Wasp is a very nice stereo filter. HN MMM VCF is very clean and easy to use (I have one for sale). WMD Overseer is rock solid but definitely feels and sounds like a DJ mixer.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:41 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
danfastlikeflan wrote:
cackland wrote:
How so?
This instagram post
That ain’t trolling and it ain’t "sort of" trolling.
I am not about to spend my morning debating the semantics of trolling, but... when someone releases a new module and you tell everyone... oh, that's cool, wait until everyone sees mine, you are trolling a bit.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:23 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I am not about to spend my morning debating the semantics of trolling, but... when someone releases a new module and you tell everyone... oh, that's cool, wait until everyone sees mine, you are trolling a bit.
Respectfully disagree. This wasn't the first time Andrew had teased this product. I think you're also ignoring (unintentionally) a larger context too: that MakeNoise is a goliath compared to SSF in the modular wold. So I'm quite sympathetic to SSF, who has been developing this module somewhat openly, only for one of the biggest names in the industry come and somewhat suddenly release a similar product.

I certainly see your point, coolshirt, and all I was trying to get at is-- the term "trolling" can be quite triggering, and I think there are at least enough ways to interpret this that it's in poor form to openly declare this as an example of trolling. Whether you agree or disagree with the timing of Andrew's instagram post, it's def not trolling to me.

imxtristan
Common Wiggler

Post by imxtristan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I am not about to spend my morning debating the semantics of trolling, but... when someone releases a new module and you tell everyone... oh, that's cool, wait until everyone sees mine, you are trolling a bit.
Respectfully disagree. This wasn't the first time Andrew had teased this product. I think you're also ignoring (unintentionally) a larger context too: that MakeNoise is a goliath compared to SSF in the modular wold. So I'm quite sympathetic to SSF, who has been developing this module somewhat openly, only for one of the biggest names in the industry come and somewhat suddenly release a similar product.

I certainly see your point, coolshirt, and all I was trying to get at is-- the term "trolling" can be quite triggering, and I think there are at least enough ways to interpret this that it's in poor form to openly declare this as an example of trolling. Whether you agree or disagree with the timing of Andrew's instagram post, it's def not trolling to me.
I fail to see how a product announced during NAMM- a time we've come to expect announcements, is trolling.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm

imxtristan wrote:
jzwoopwoop wrote:

I fail to see how a product announced during NAMM- a time we've come to expect announcements, is trolling.
Yup, that too.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Will this be the Year of the Stereo Filter? Bring it the fuck on!

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Illwiggle wrote:Will this be the Year of the Stereo Filter? Bring it the fuck on!
Kinda feels like.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:59 pm

imxtristan wrote:
jzwoopwoop wrote:

I have no problem with SSF and have owned their products. I don't have a problem with them doing this, but again, if you can't read a little antagonism into that post, you're not trying very hard. I mean, you're obviously misrepresenting it when you refer to it as a product announcement, because most people don't announce their products as a response to the release of another product by essentially saying, wait for my product it's better (edit - it's not even a matter of interpretation, they specifically mention "holding out" for this this one). Any attempt to be pedantic or intentionally dense about it is just tacky.

If your record was coming out and I responded by saying that people should hold off buying yours and wait for mine, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't consider that to be a neutral product announcement, so let's not be stupid.

I don't care and don't know why people are getting their underwear in a bunch because of this. It's not wrong to tease people online and I'm sure no harm was meant. This is the stupidest thing to argue about.

Let's get back to talking about the module. Any demos yet?

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:if you can't read a little antagonism into that post, you're not trying very hard.
I hears ya, I just think that's a different thing than calling it trolling, is all.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 pm

This thing looks REALLY powerful, although I'm not quite sure I have my head wrapped around to topology.

Each side 'A' and 'B' have two filters in series or parallel, which you choose the mode and then a Freq and Spread... and then both go to the Stereo Freq? So your signal could be passing through a total of 3, resonant filters? What is the filter type/mode of the Stereo Filter (the middle knob at the top), I don't see a fifth place to choose a mode?

The QPAS is pretty cool but it's not at all 2 separate filters, there's only one Freq! The QPAS reminds me more of a Moog MURF, on steroids. This is more like a Korgasmatron 2 that's been taken to the ^nth degree. I think this will sell fine but appears to be a Rolls Royce of "normal" filters, whereas the QPAS is it's own thing.

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:31 pm

gentle_attack wrote:This thing looks REALLY powerful, although I'm not quite sure I have my head wrapped around to topology.

Each side 'A' and 'B' have two filters in series or parallel, which you choose the mode and then a Freq and Spread... and then both go to the Stereo Freq? So your signal could be passing through a total of 3, resonant filters? What is the filter type/mode of the Stereo Filter (the middle knob at the top), I don't see a fifth place to choose a mode?
I'm fairly certain the Stereo Freq and Res knobs are just a way to control the L&R simultaneously.
gentle_attack wrote: The QPAS is pretty cool but it's not at all 2 separate filters, there's only one Freq! The QPAS reminds me more of a Moog MURF, on steroids. This is more like a Korgasmatron 2 that's been taken to the ^nth degree. I think this will sell fine but appears to be a Rolls Royce of "normal" filters, whereas the QPAS is it's own thing.
It is 2 seperate filters, but like the dipole the central frequency knob controls the frequency of both sides simultaneously.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Looks great. I got excited when he presented it. I think last NAMM he showed a proof-of-concept right?

He has a few modules in the pipeline from what he displayed at NAMM and only put out the MUTON since then for some reason.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:06 am

funny.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:11 am

this looks fucking great, as does the MN filter, they both seem very different.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 am

:yay:
thetwlo wrote:
funny.
I'm.glad someone got it! :miley:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”