If a filter is a slew - then also a kind of LPG/VCA?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

If a filter is a slew - then also a kind of LPG/VCA?

Post by boxxgrooved » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 am

According to Ken Stone's description of the VCS:
"If an audio rate signal is slewed, the module responds like a VCF, and a rough VCA. The signal is low-pass filtered down to silence, similar to a low-pass gate."

When he says 'similar to a LPG' I presume he is referring to the fact a LPG also attenuates the signal along with filtering it?

A low-pass filter will also bring a signal down to silence so it got me thinking about using my filters as crude vca's when in a pinch. Its not something I have experimented with before and I'm away at the moment so I can't try it out. Would using a filter with a lower pole sound more natural?

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:59 am

It depends on the filter. Some filters close entirely very easy, others are still audible even when fully closed. Setting the resonance to the lowest will make it sound more like a VCA, but of course it looses the high frequencies first (on an LPF)
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah I think resonance is to be avoided and I also think 6/db filter would sound more natural but I don't have any of those.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

boxxgrooved wrote:Yeah I think resonance is to be avoided and I also think 6/db filter would sound more natural but I don't have any of those.
FWIW a slew generator typically IS a 6 db low pass filter.

Return to “Production Techniques”