MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If a filter is a slew - then also a kind of LPG/VCA?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author If a filter is a slew - then also a kind of LPG/VCA?
boxxgrooved
According to Ken Stone's description of the VCS:
"If an audio rate signal is slewed, the module responds like a VCF, and a rough VCA. The signal is low-pass filtered down to silence, similar to a low-pass gate."

When he says 'similar to a LPG' I presume he is referring to the fact a LPG also attenuates the signal along with filtering it?

A low-pass filter will also bring a signal down to silence so it got me thinking about using my filters as crude vca's when in a pinch. Its not something I have experimented with before and I'm away at the moment so I can't try it out. Would using a filter with a lower pole sound more natural?
SB-SIX
It depends on the filter. Some filters close entirely very easy, others are still audible even when fully closed. Setting the resonance to the lowest will make it sound more like a VCA, but of course it looses the high frequencies first (on an LPF)
boxxgrooved
Yeah I think resonance is to be avoided and I also think 6/db filter would sound more natural but I don't have any of those.
gruebleengourd
boxxgrooved wrote:
Yeah I think resonance is to be avoided and I also think 6/db filter would sound more natural but I don't have any of those.

FWIW a slew generator typically IS a 6 db low pass filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1