MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electronic congas?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Electronic congas?
flabby
I'm learning to play the congas and when I have time to play it's often at night which tends to disturb everyone. I sometimes wish I could just plug in a pair of headphones to the congas and not bother anyone (minus some tapping noises).

I was wondering if there is any electronic solution out there?

I've tried the Korg Wavedrum, but it's too much a jack of all trades and master of none. I found it's better using fingers as opposed to full hands and isn't so sensitive to proper technique as a real conga, so for practice it's not so great.
adam
have you got a closet or something you could soundproof?
flabby
No, but maybe I could do something with the corner of the room?

Hadn't really considered that. I'll look into it.
Xmit
the sound pressure level from acoustic skinned instruments is pretty huge : you're going to have to do some serious soundproofing I'd say if it's really bothering eveyone.That's going to take room space & cash money to really make a difference I reckon.
IR
Bongos?

Yamaha actually has a line of pads since the 80s that you can play with sticks or your fingers.
flabby
I was actually considering two contact mics then stuffing the conga with blankets, but imagine that would also reduce the resonance of the wood that contact mics are picking up.
CF3
You could give Alternate Mode Jamkat a look.

There’s also the Roland Handsonic stuff

Electronic hand percussion is tough. It’s really hard to properly mimic the feel of real congas.
adam
could the congas themselves be soundproofed? hyper

please excuse me wink i'm imagining encasing the bottom parts of them in a soundproofed box with a mic inside

do you know regus offices? they aren't open 24 hours but maybe there is some other co-working space which isn't really used at night, but people work late in spain don't they?
BananaPlug
How many posts before we find out he's ordered a Buchla? hihi
flabby
adam wrote:
could the congas themselves be soundproofed? hyper

please excuse me wink i'm imagining encasing the bottom parts of them in a soundproofed box with a mic inside

do you know regus offices? they aren't open 24 hours but maybe there is some other co-working space which isn't really used at night, but people work late in spain don't they?

Interesting idea, but yeah the working hours here are long. Finding a practice space has crossed my mind.
flabby
BananaPlug wrote:

Mr. Green I do actually own a 208.
rkilman
Derp
Pugilistas
Don't think what you want exists. This after trying out hand pad interfaces for years.

The ATV Aframe is probably closest, but that's a lot to pay for a practice conga.

If you do find something, be sure to let everyone know!
flabby
Pugilistas wrote:
Don't think what you want exists. This after trying out hand pad interfaces for years.

The ATV Aframe is probably closest, but that's a lot to pay for a practice conga.

If you do find something, be sure to let everyone know!

Unfortunately it seems so. Maybe it’s too niche a product for anybody to bother doing the R&D.
Yeah that ATV looks interesting but expensive. How have you found it?
flabby
The only other option I can think of is with triggers and and some software.
dan_p
All you need is a solid flat surface like a table or a work surface at the right height. Obviously at some point you need to hear the conga's but for the majority of the practice you need to be doing you can just use a work surface. It's all about the chops. playing on a table and getting relaxed, you will feel when your hands are good and will end up making the conga's sound good when you do get to play them. I can see playing some kind of electric conga to end up being detrimental during early stages of playing.

This is not meant to sound condescending in any way and I'm certainly no conga player, I can play a nice Guaguanco and have reasonable tone but I've not played for years.

There was a Danish dude called Birger Sullsbruck who wrote a great book on latin percussion, he's a pretty tasty conga player and legend goes that he learnt by going to Cuba and meeting up with an old due in a bar who he bough drinks for and learnt patterns playing on the bar.

Conga's are awesome, I still play Bongo's from time to time, salsa music is the greatest form of dance Music there is.

flabby wrote:

Yeah that ATV looks interesting but expensive. How have you found it?

I have an aFrame, I love it more than life itself, its possibly the greatest thing to ever be created in music technology, but... Its not a conga, you could play conga stuff on it but again, it wouldn't teach you to play conga's better.
dan_p
Doh!
JohnLRice
BananaPlug wrote:
lol thumbs up
JohnLRice
Have you tried one of the flat 'travel' type congas? Like the Latin Percussion Giovanni Compact Conga or the Pearl Travel Conga etc? There are a few sizes of each brand. They sound best on a snare drum stand or purpose built stand and played over a hard reflective surface but they can be quite soft when played with control on your lap and are easily deadened completely by setting it on a fluffy towel for the quietest practice although less satisfying since the resonance is killed.

I have one of the LP Giovanni Compact Congas and it seems very well made. The Pearl one might be more aesthetically pleasing since it's made with wood instead of metal like the LP one?

I just tried a quick test with an SPL meter at 6" away from the drum. With the drum in my lap and playing with comfortable force (not trying to play hard or soft) I measured a 40 dB increase without the towel and a 30 dB increase with the towel underneath.

FWIW I'm not an experienced conga player, I'm just an experienced mostly self taught hand drum player and I have picked up various small drums over the years and messed about with them. cool
dan_p
Has anyone tried one of these? They look interesting.

CF3 wrote:
Funky40
The question is what the main point for flabby is ?
having fun to make "Tones"........or to focus on learning a proper technique on the Conga ?

Pugilistas wrote:

the A-Frame was also my first thought when it comes to sound.
I have one, its quasi unused ( i mean it IS unused )
i might sell it......or might not, not shure. the thought strived me allready in fact.
oh well, i should use it.........damn
you could PM me if interested, ......i´d then had to give the Aframe another go and see............
dan_p
Have you checked the new firmware update out? Its got some great additions to it. The randomise feature is awesome.

Funky40 wrote:

the A-Frame was also my first thought when it comes to sound.
I have one, its quasi unused ( i mean it IS unused )
i might sell it......or might not, not shure. the thought strived me allready in fact.
oh well, i should use it.........damn
CF3
dan_p wrote:

CF3 wrote:

I haven’t tried the Jamkat yet, but I’ve owned a few different Alternate Mode percussion controllers over the years (Drumkat, Trapkat, etc). They make some of the best drum pads going. Super interested in the Jamkat + a DITI box. The only thing stopping me is the price of admission. waah
dan_p
Yes, I just looked and initially thought "OK cool, that's worth a punt" then realised you had to also buy the DITI making it over a grand. Thats OK if it works like you want but its certainly not impulse buy territory!!

I've just remembered this as well

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/boppad/

Actually, ref the OP this may be a good Conga option depending on how it feels. I wonder if 2 can co exist?

CF3 wrote:
dan_p wrote:

CF3 wrote:

I haven’t tried the Jamkat yet, but I’ve owned a few different Alternate Mode percussion controllers over the years (Drumkat, Trapkat, etc). They make some of the best drum pads going. Super interested in the Jamkat + a DITI box. The only thing stopping me is the price of admission. waah
flabby
Wow! Lots to reply to. Thanks for all the input.

I just picked up a pearl travel conga today!! Fits the job perfectly. Yeah the tone is not exactly the same but for practicing it’s great. And the tone is good enough. Maybe with a proper skin on as opposed to that fiber skin stuff?
Either way I’m happy.

JohnLRice wrote:
Have you tried one of the flat 'travel' type congas? Like the Latin Percussion Giovanni Compact Conga or the Pearl Travel Conga etc? There are a few sizes of each brand. They sound best on a snare drum stand or purpose built stand and played over a hard reflective surface but they can be quite soft when played with control on your lap and are easily deadened completely by setting it on a fluffy towel for the quietest practice although less satisfying since the resonance is killed.

I have one of the LP Giovanni Compact Congas and it seems very well made. The Pearl one might be more aesthetically pleasing since it's made with wood instead of metal like the LP one?

I just tried a quick test with an SPL meter at 6" away from the drum. With the drum in my lap and playing with comfortable force (not trying to play hard or soft) I measured a 40 dB increase without the towel and a 30 dB increase with the towel underneath.

FWIW I'm not an experienced conga player, I'm just an experienced mostly self taught hand drum player and I have picked up various small drums over the years and messed about with them. cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2