MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moot Booxle (as Behringer sales rep).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moot Booxle (as Behringer sales rep).
Rex Coil 7
Y'know, it must feel pretty good knowing that you're thought of by a massively massive manufacturer highly enough to be hired as a new product video demonstrator and company representative. Moot (his real name is Matt Baxley ... not sure of the spelling) has been one of my favorite Tou Yube video producers since I started thinking about getting into 5U modulars ... we're talkin' over ten years now. Still one of my very favorite Moot Booxle videos is one of his early ones called "Explosion" (the video at the bottom)

It appears he's been hired by Behringer as a product video demonstrator ... straight up "I'm working for Behringer" type of thing. Not pretending to have purchased some product and then posting a demo vid of it. I can respect that.

So here is the Mighty Moot demonstrating some of the new Behringer synths for 2019. In the "Odyssey" video Moot appears a little stiff and wooden, but by the MS-101 video I see the same good old Moot that many of us have come to appreciate. Perhaps he's just not super accustomed to reading from a script (or perhaps I'm not used to hearing him read from a script, which is just as likely)

Behringer Odyssey .... Crave .... MS-101 .... and VC340 string machine/vocoder .... RD-808. One big pile O' Moot.

This last video is my favorite Moot Booxle vid, it goes back twelve years as of this post. He's just jamming on a modestly outfitted Synthesizers.Com modular running through what appears to be an original Roland Space Echo. GO MOOT!!

Here is "Explosion" by Moot Booxle:

werock
I prefer his videos to the ones Michael Thorpe does for Behringer. They seem a bit lame.

And yes, what a job to land.
sduck
Yes, that's a nice gig to land. I would presume it was a one time deal. just for NAMM, as that's how a lot of companies operate, but maybe not.

I have a friend here who did product demos for a prominent mic company - she got airfare, a swanky hotel, food, parties and a free microphone, and maybe some financial compensation (not disclosed to me) just for demoing 4 hours a day.
Kent
Everyone needs to make money. I personally could never support a company filled with as much narcissism, false common-man signaling, cynicism and dopamine-hit-marketing as anything involving Uli Behringer.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
There is also a guy from Finland, who has been getting Behringer's newest synths for free to test, he has already taken delivery of Behringer's new Pro-1.

Moot (Matt) is already a good synth player, but these videos/demonstrations he has done are all full of farty sounds, nothing of much clarity tbh.
Zymos
Matt's a really nice guy, I'm hoping this thread doesn't just turn into a place to pick on him...
Figures
Regardless of your political views on behringher. he is a great player with feel and appriciation for using a synth as a real instrument.

I for one really appriciate it when players such as moot demo gear as it shows it in a context i might use it, as opposed to non musical fm or drone type patches.

Not for everyone i guess. but i like him and his demo style.

I also will buy the rd808, not so crazy about the synths.
hamildad
Figures wrote:
Regardless of your political views on behringher. he is a great player with feel and appriciation for using a synth as a real instrument.

I for one really appriciate it when players such as moot demo gear as it shows it in a context i might use it, as opposed to non musical fm or drone type patches.

Seconded, quite happy if Moot Booxle or Lisa Bella Donna do instrument demos as they both have the chops to actually make interesting melodies and get the best out of the kit.
anselmi
Honestly, I can´t see the point of this thread seriously, i just don't get it
dubnspace
anselmi wrote:

I can't see the point of clicking on threads that the subject doesn't appeal to you then complaining such threads exist..
anselmi
dubnspace wrote:
anselmi wrote:

I can't see the point of clicking on threads that the subject doesn't appeal to you then complaining such threads exist..

I´m a simple man, I saw a pointless thread, I click hihi
Flareless
I enjoy Moot's videos as well. I learned of him back when I was getting into modulars and I found his stuff interesting and very cool!

Nice gig to land. Congrats Moot (if you ever lurk here) thumbs up
computer controlled
Funny, i just posted on my FB about how i thought those vids were less than convincing.
Rex Coil 7
Before this becomes something I never intended it to be, let's clear something up.

I never meant to berate Moot in any way .... the intention was to point out how Moot has become someone that is taken seriously within the synthesizer/music/live performer community, as well as by the industry itself. So much so that a company as large as Behringer has commissioned him (and his talents, and his "public worth" as it were) to represent both the company and their brand new products in a massively competitive industry. That's just cool! This thread is meant to be nothing but praise for Moot, and acknowledging a solid "attaboy" pat on the back for becoming someone many people respect (of which I am one of).

Am I saying or implying Moot has "sold out"? Not even. If Moot is even half the person I've created in my head, I'm sure he deeply considered whatever Behringer offered him to become a representative of their constructs. I don't see him as someone that would take money to represent a company he doesn't believe in ... no matter what the puffy-chested stone throwers say about Behringer. I do not believe Moot would have taken a job offer from a company that others say isn't legit unless Moot his-one-damned-self actually believed in that company's legitimacy. Will Moot help with Behringer's credibility? With most folks, yes. But with the "NEVER BEHRINGER!" people? ... nope. Some folks are so bloody polarized (and a bit too high and mighty for their own good) that no matter what is done by Behringer or said about Behringer .. by anyone .. even The Mighty Moot ... that they won't ever change their views. Unfortunately that same situation exists in other realms of US culture today as well (I'm stopping short to avoid getting a finger wagging about political content ... but I can sure post a picture of four human male penises!! ... forgive me, I'm ranting about an entirely different topic ... back to this topic now....).

Negative comments I made were pointed at what it is like working for a large corporation. Not once saying or implying that Moot is some sort of bad person (my comments nowhere even close to saying anything of the sort), but as a simple acknowledgement that I know what it can be like to work for a huge company and being micro-managed along the way.

So anyone that is taking away from this thread or my comments that I am somehow talking shit about Moot has viewed it through an entirely negative lens. There is no underlying meaning or any kind of secret subtext in my words.

The point of the thread? That is extremely simple .... it's showing a hyper talented and skilled keyboard player/synthesist that many people have come to respect for his musical ability as well as his dead-honest videos about various products and methods who has gained so much recognition that Big Biz has taken notice of his value and has hired him to represent a number of their brand new products.

That is an accomplishment, measured any way one wishes to measure it.

There isn't a single negative syllable directed at or about Moot in my opening post, or in this post either. Nor do I feel Moot was dishonest in his appraisal of any of the Behringer instruments he presented ... I believe that Moot says what he means and means what he says.

I have posted this reply to nip-in-the-bud any off the rails bullshit that may arise from troublemakers that wish to make this thread into something it was never ever meant to be.

Just enjoy the demos, enjoy Moot's presentation, and maybe poke a little fun at him for the shirt he's wearing.

(THAT. WAS. A. JOKE.)

So it's just a thread showing Moot's latest appearance, and also showing Behringer's new toys. "Hey, Moot's got a few new vids! ... and check it out, he's showcasing some new stuff from Behringer!!" It's just that simple.

Comments about the synths Moot presents would also be welcomed. This thread has two edges ... one to show how "one of us" has been recognized and given what appears to be a good gig ... and secondly to allow people the see Behringer's new goodies, presented by someone many of us respect and like to watch.

~FIN~

cookie?!?
TheDegenerateElite
Good for him. A job doing what you love is a good job.

I also don't buy into the new cheap synths leading to a renaissance in music as if not having that one specific synth is what has crippled a persons music from breaking or shining.

I also don't by the bullshit about collector's driving all the synth prices too high for real musicians. It wasn't collectors that drove the prices for 303s sky high, it was electronic musicians that convinced themselves that they absolutely needed that exact sound to be a real musician and that only the real thing could ever work for them.

In the early 90s when the analog revival started, it was simple and cheap to buy most of whatever you wanted, in pawn shops, thrift stores, and yard sales even. We would buy something, mess with it and sell it on. There was very little hoarding or thought about huge collector profits down the road. I'm sure many people who were buying synths then sold off lots of stuff that's prohibitively expensive today. If we only knew.

Then musicians started to think that what made all that older music great was the gear itself and that if they could just get that gear, then greatness would follow. Rather than pursuing music, they pursued the next piece of gear.

Maybe having cheap gear with no real pursuit will change that up? But I'm guessing that it will just lead to huge collections of gear and always thinking the next clone is what the sound is missing.

Anyways, that's probably all really stream of consciousness and full of anecdotal bullshit.....but don't buy into the advertising that music corporations have been holding you creatively hostage for years and now you're finally free.
umma gumma
Good for Moot....congrats!!

I've always enjoyed his demos & insights

it takes balls to expose yourself to all the haters & complainers of the world

I doubt he would be shilling for Behringer if this new stuff they're making is crap.
Muff McMuff
anselmi wrote:

Thats a moot point.
starthief
computer controlled wrote:
Funny, i just posted on my FB about how i thought those vids were less than convincing.

I was struck by how weird it is to be impressed by MIDI transposition of a simple sequence. That's really not a unique feature at all, and it gave me the impression they found someone either inexperienced or kind of dishonest.

(Never seen the guy's other videos, so I'll reserve my judgement for Behringer instead.)
craigie77
Muff McMuff wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Thats a moot point.

why am I even typing??
OurDarkness
Kent wrote:
Everyone needs to make money. I personally could never support a company filled with as much narcissism, false common-man signaling, cynicism and dopamine-hit-marketing as anything involving Uli Behringer.

In fact I have unsubscribed from his channel after YouTube suggesting me his 4th or 5h Mehringer video. Plain and simple.
JohnLRice
Kudos to Moot for getting a cool gig! thumbs up applause

My guess is that the the difference between his old videos and the ones he is doing for Behringer is that in his old videos he recorded them by himself, alone in his studio and decided 100% on the content but now with Behringer the videos are shot at some other studio with at least a minimal camera/lighting crew, hair/makeup/wardrobe person, producer and maybe a product manager. They may have ideas on the key points they want to push and keep interrupting him to tell him to "now talk about how great this feature is" or maybe there is even a script and they keep stopping him if he goes too far of script?

I have no idea if any of my assumption are true, but I think the within a short time of doing these they will smooth out and get much better.
gentle_attack
starthief wrote:
computer controlled wrote:

I was struck by how weird it is to be impressed by MIDI transposition of a simple sequence. That's really not a unique feature at all, and it gave me the impression they found someone either inexperienced or kind of dishonest.

(Never seen the guy's other videos, so I'll reserve my judgement for Behringer instead.)

I found it fairly hilarious that he said you can do pitched 808 kick basslines, "like hip hop" .... "Without sampling" yet you can't plock the tone... So what are you going to to do "wiggle" that tiny knob to do your pitched bassline every pass through? He was acting like that's a new feature too, what? You could always try to do that, people did it with MPCs because it was a million times easier and repeatable.

Although I don't blame dude for taking a paycheck, so no worries bruddah. I like that bottom video, kind of an acrid acid vibe.
Muzone
So is he someone we should have heard of, or just another youtuber who got lucky?
Must confess the name is new to me and google just throws up a covers band who play country clubs and corporate gigs, whatever, he seems a pleasant enough chap so good luck to him......
ranix
Good for him, I remember his old videos. I don't recall hearing him speak in videos before. He might not be too good at it yet. I think that's fine. He's been around for a long time.
deftinwulf
I had literally never heard of him in my life before he became the Behringer rep, so any street-cred they're supposed to gain by signing him is lost on me.

However, I'm not a Behringer hater* and this Moot guy seems alright. Wasn't blown away by any of his demos, but he seemed to enjoy himself and that kind of positive energy can be infectious so it's probably worth something.

*But I have to say, I was more excited by the Crave before I realized it's essentially a M32 clone. Clone an Odyssey and call it a clone: cool with me. (Especially when you add features the original didn't have like a sequencer and digital fx.) Clone a M32 and call it a Crave: much less cool.**

**But none of that is Moot's fault, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2