MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

june-60 chorus pedal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author june-60 chorus pedal
anselmi
mono/stereo out
$49
Dead Banana

GNSDG
oooooh
a100user
No brainer
bkbirge
Can't see the vid at work but MN3009 chips cost more (if you can even find them) so I'm guessing this is a digital emulation?
estin
^ vid says all analog, maybe Uli is producing the required chips to get that sound? I wonder how it handles line levels? TC is usually great about this but that is on their digital pedals.
haven
bkbirge wrote:
Can't see the vid at work but MN3009 chips cost more (if you can even find them) so I'm guessing this is a digital emulation?

AFAIK, Music Group, the TC Electronics parent company also owns Coolaudio which is an IC manufacturer that produces several BBD chips that are advertised as functionally identical to several old BBD chips. These appear to be the BBD chips used in many modern BBD based pedals.

http://coolaudio.com/prod-coolaudio-semi.php

Thanks to Coolaudio BBD chips have been readily available at scale for manufacturing new products for some time now.
werock
estin wrote:
^ vid says all analog, maybe Uli is producing the required chips to get that sound? I wonder how it handles line levels? TC is usually great about this but that is on their digital pedals.

Yes, would be good to hear some examples with a synth through it.
bartleby
werock wrote:

Yes, would be good to hear some examples with a synth through it.

werock
bartleby wrote:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhZ5fpDXC5o[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhZ5fpDXC5o

(uhm, how do you embed videos?)

Change https to http, voila!

Thanks for the link, sounds great!

Dave Kendall
bkbirge wrote:

If it's really all-analogue, and uses Behringer's own (coolaudio) BBDs, it's likely to be the V3207 -1024 stage low-voltage IC, as they only make this, the V3208 (2048) and V3205 (4096 stage).

Would be surprised if they used an outside BBD supply.
estin
Sounds nice, why not for $50 zombie
tuj
I thought the key chips were the MN3009s that are now discontinued?
Dave Kendall
MN3009s are scarce and expensive - almost certainly too much so for a viable production run at $49 each.
The coolaudio V3207 has a delay range of 2.56ms - 51.2ms,
compared to the MN3009 with 0.64ms - 12.8 ms.
So there's some overlap in range - perhaps enough to be able to use the V3207 in its place by tweaking a few component values. With careful design and modern low-noise components, the V3207's lower maximum operating voltage is likely not a significant problem regarding noise and headroom.

My money's on the V3207, but the only way to be sure is to open one up wink
GuyaGuy
Dave Kendall wrote:
MN3009s are scarce and expensive - almost certainly too much so for a viable production run at $49 each.
The coolaudio V3207 has a delay range of 2.56ms - 51.2ms,
compared to the MN3009 with 0.64ms - 12.8 ms.
So there's some overlap in range - perhaps enough to be able to use the V3207 in its place by tweaking a few component values. With careful design and modern low-noise components, the V3207's lower maximum operating voltage is likely not a significant problem regarding noise and headroom.

My money's on the V3207, but the only way to be sure is to open one up wink

Google tells me you are correct. The BBD chip has the little sunken dot like the V3207.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Stompboxes  /JUNE-60/p/P0D8E#googtrans(en|en)

Not that I'm bothered. I always thought that the cult around the Juno chorus, which was there to make up for the lack of a 2nd DCO, is kind of weird.
quadrupole
Sounds great to me, and for $50 plus that retro styling, I’ll be on it for sure.

I already have the 106 chorus module by Feedback, so I guess I’ll see which I like better....or maybe just keep both! Actually, was the chorus in the 60 the same as the 106?
BugBrand
I was going to bet on MN3207s too but then just heard XVIVE brought back the MN3009 very recently. Wouldn't surprise me thus that Coolaudio are also going to remake that particular chip.
Dave Kendall
BugBrand wrote:
I was going to bet on MN3207s too but then just heard XVIVE brought back the MN3009 very recently.

That's good news. cool Missed that re-issue somehow...
Xvive will be making a quite a few repairers and DIYers happy, it looks like smile

anselmi
I think it sounds better in mono...the stereo synth demos seems to loose some of the center image maybe because of phase cancellation between both channels...I expected it to sounds better in stereo...anyway, I can just buy 2 of them and have more stereo control and 100% separate channels for $98 Dead Banana
TheDegenerateElite
Every Juno I've ever played, the chorus sounds like a noise/distortion it adds so much hiss and grit to the signal, and not in a pleasant way.

Never understood why people think they are so great.
calaveras
Wasn't there another company doing this out of Germany? Modemachines or something.

I was a little excited about the price then I remembered that TC is part of Behringer now. It's kind of sad when once great companies become just another division of a mediocre company. But then TC kind of goofed up on it's DSP products and it's bass amps.
spacenoodle
calaveras wrote:
Wasn't there another company doing this out of Germany? Modemachines or something.

I was a little excited about the price then I remembered that TC is part of Behringer now. It's kind of sad when once great companies become just another division of a mediocre company. But then TC kind of goofed up on it's DSP products and it's bass amps.

I think MM just made a Juno filter clone.

I have a Juno-60, the Feedback 106 chorus module rev 1.0 and one of these pedals on order. I'm curious to do a comparison.

The euro module does not allow the simultaneous I + II mode and my v1 is so fucking deep it doesn't fit into most cases. So I'm kind of hoping this pedal will take it's place. Most of the time I just want to sit it on top of a poly.

There is a nostalgic draw to the chorus for me - the Juno 60 being my first synth back in the 80's. Beyond that, idk, it's a good basic chorus sound that seems to just fatten and animate with no fuss.
Dave Peck
anselmi wrote:
I think it sounds better in mono...the stereo synth demos seems to loose some of the center image maybe because of phase cancellation between both channels...I expected it to sounds better in stereo...anyway, I can just buy 2 of them and have more stereo control and 100% separate channels for $98 Dead Banana

No need to buy two - connect the L&R outs to two input channels on a mixer and use the channel pan knobs to set the stereo width / amount of center mono signal. For many stereo chorus effects devices, there is a 'sweet spot' in the pan settings that gives a big wide stereo sound without losing the center focus.
Feinstrom
Am I the only one who thinks that this thing (or at least the synth demo) sounds just awful?
Maybe it's supposed to sound like this (I don't know the original Juno chorus, only the MKS-30 chorus), but a nice chorus sounds different in my ears...

Cheers,
Bert
synthetek
I got to check it out last week, feels pretty heavy / well built. I only got to try it on guitar and there were other pedals in the chain and the room was noisy but it sounded good. I also have the feedback module and a Juno-106 and I just got some of the new MN3009 to try so for $49 I will probably pick up one of theses too.

nrrrd
I'm not sure I see the point in building a stand alone pedal and then basically putting two presets on it! Why not have a couple of pots on there to allow some exploration of the sound?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2