Emblematic Systems - Catalyst - macro controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Emblematic Systems - Catalyst - macro controller

Post by Emblematic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello MW!

Just giving you a heads up for everyone who is interested in Octatrack-style macro control, since I’ve seen that come up quite a bit on here. "Emblematic Systems” is my new company and the first module is about to be released by the end of February. I am just waiting for the panels to arrive at my doorsteps and the first batch is ready to go. Here’s a rough overview and a demo video can be found on the webpage below:

- 8 outputs offering 16bit precision CVs in a range from 0-10V
- 8 scenes per bank, 8 banks in total
- 8 LED backlit encoders for precise parameter editing
- Crossfader for scene interpolation with a convenient 60mm of travel
- Copy/Paste function for scenes
- Crossfader motion recording for up to 20 seconds
- Physical animation of the crossfader position

16hp, 40mm deep
+12V 135mA
-12V 17mA

MANUAL

QUICKMANUAL

Me and everyone else working on this release are really excited to present this module finally. Let me know what you think. This first batch will be sold exclusively over my webpage and will be shipping from Germany by the end of February. The price will be 345€.

Last edited by Emblematic on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm not entirely sure what this does but it seems to do a lot of it which has me interested.

2 sets of 4 voltages that crossfade in between the two with interpolation and lots of space to save?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:55 pm

A cross-fading voltage preset manager? Looks really useful. Nice work

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cortega » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 am

Holy fu**ing Shit....its like you read my Mind,
thank you for doing this, i am sold.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:43 am

Wow, the missing link between Octatrack and Frames has arrived :yay: Looks supremely usable.

The physical modelling which turns slider movement bouncy? Incredible :hail:

The lack of a reset input for the slider automation? Regrettable :doh:

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 am

Really nice concept and design. Congrats on the release! :party:

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:46 am

Oh this looks great! Subscribed :hyper:
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 am

Hells yeah!

So GAS, much module, many want.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 am

Welcome! and good luck with your company! Wish you the best!

Any manual?

edit: just saw the video....dead simple! need it!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks for all the kind words!!

There's no manual yet, but I am working on it. I hope the video on my page clarifies things a bit until the manual is finished.
hawkfuzz wrote:2 sets of 4 voltages that crossfade in between the two with interpolation and lots of space to save?
No, it's actually 8 sets of 8 voltages that you can interpolate between. Then these 8 sets are again organised into 8 banks.
desolationjones wrote:The lack of a reset input for the slider automation? Regrettable
You are correct sir, and I do regret that as well but there's only so much I could squeeze into the panel. BUT I am working on a small expander module that will allow CV control of the crossfader and resetting the automation.

rainlet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rainlet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

Looks awesome, sign me up! Would be interesting if the expander also could step between banks with triggers or CV as well.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

this is so very cool. anyone who has used an octatrack has been dreaming of this moment for a euro module. looks to be very well implemented too

very glad to hear about the expander with cv control of the crossfader... would have seemed like a bit missed opportunity otherwise

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:06 pm

rainlet wrote:Looks awesome, sign me up! Would be interesting if the expander also could step between banks with triggers or CV as well.
Thanks!

I was thinking about using the expander for stepping through scenes, but my philosophy is to keep a dedicated and tidy interface and what you are describing approaches sequencer functionality. I think there's lots of dedicated sequencers out there that do what you are describing way better that this module ever could.

What is possible though, even though not shown in the video, is to record fader assignments along with the fader movement. That way you can step through presets and play back that sequence. It's a rather rudimentary kind of sequencing, but it's quick and fun.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Emblematic wrote:Thanks for all the kind words!!

There's no manual yet, but I am working on it. I hope the video on my page clarifies things a bit until the manual is finished.
hawkfuzz wrote:2 sets of 4 voltages that crossfade in between the two with interpolation and lots of space to save?
No, it's actually 8 sets of 8 voltages that you can interpolate between. Then these 8 sets are again organised into 8 banks.
desolationjones wrote:The lack of a reset input for the slider automation? Regrettable
You are correct sir, and I do regret that as well but there's only so much I could squeeze into the panel. BUT I am working on a small expander module that will allow CV control of the crossfader and resetting the automation.
How small of an expander? 8-)

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 pm

bc3 wrote:How small of an expander? 8-)
All it really needs is two jacks, maybe a switch, so I am aiming for 2-3hp. But I can't promise anything right now. I am starting to design it at the moment and I will do my best to publish infos on it before the modules go on sale, so that everybody knows what to expect.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Emblematic wrote:
bc3 wrote:How small of an expander? 8-)
All it really needs is two jacks, maybe a switch, so I am aiming for 2-3hp. But I can't promise anything right now. I am starting to design it at the moment and I will do my best to publish infos on it before the modules go on sale, so that everybody knows what to expect.
Awesome and if you could fit it down to 2hp that would be super cool, thx!

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Emblematic wrote:

What is possible though, even though not shown in the video, is to record fader assignments along with the fader movement. That way you can step through presets and play back that sequence. It's a rather rudimentary kind of sequencing, but it's quick and fun.
If I’m understanding, this would make the fader even more like the big knob on an MI Frames, right?

If this mode is also under CV control in the expander, that would be killer! I understand that this would approach the sequencer functionality that you’re not so keen to move towards, but please consider this if you aren’t already.

The module is already really powerful, the expander makes it even more so, but having all of your scenes morphable by CV would take this into a whole new level imo.

Sorry... We’re a demanding bunch, aren’t we? :lol:

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Ah! I'm so excited that this is public. I've been beta testing this. Ralf (Emblematic) has been super responsive in improving it based on suggestions. It's an incredible thing... the physics alone take this from "great hands-on controller" to "ridiculous generative modulation powerhouse". I'm a big fan of this, and sold a bunch of other control modules in the process.

folpon
Common Wiggler

Post by folpon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Wow. Sounds like this would be a really cool thing to have in my dual Morphagene looping rig. Can't wait!

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 pm

So is it capable of switching scenes quickly on the fly, like the Octatrack does? In other words, having a bank of scenes saved and being able to, on the fly, move scene 2 to the "A" position, and then a moment later, move scene 4 to the A position, and then scene 2 to the B position, etc?

Emblematic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Emblematic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Franktree wrote:So is it capable of switching scenes quickly on the fly, like the Octatrack does? In other words, having a bank of scenes saved and being able to, on the fly, move scene 2 to the "A" position, and then a moment later, move scene 4 to the A position, and then scene 2 to the B position, etc?
Yes, that's exactly how it works! In addition you can also do hard cuts by just pressing a scene button. This way you instantly jump to that scene for as long as that scene button is held. It is all very quick and performance oriented.

lionelfischer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lionelfischer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:38 am

any chance of a version with sliders or slider expansion?

looks so amazing

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 am

I'm in! Looks great as it is. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 am

This looks fantastic for live performances! Any chance it will be open sourced?

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 am

damn, that looks incredibly useful. Glad to hear you're working on an expander for crossfader CV control as well—that definitely sold it for me!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”