WMD Sequential Switch Matrix - anything better?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Franktree
Common Wiggler

WMD Sequential Switch Matrix - anything better?

Post by Franktree » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 am

The WMD Sequential Switch Matrix (SSM) has been around for a while. After doing some searching here, it seems like, at least for a while, it was deemed by many the top dog in the sequential switch arena. Now that it's been a few years, I'm curious whether folks still think similarly, or if something else has supplanted it in their rigs.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 am

Livestock Maze is like an SSM that's a matrix mixer instead of switched routing, and it can morph between states.
"music... a weird bunch of sounds that had no point but made things feel a little better"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

arbee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arbee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm also looking at that WMD SSM and the alternatives. there aren't many out there it seems.

there is this one also that I think are similar: SSSR Labs - SM010 Matrixarchate

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sssr-labs ... rixarchate

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:48 pm

I like my SSM a lot, but the aformentioned Maze looks terrific.

There’s also the Alysium MS-Matrix:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alyseum-ms-matrix

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:22 am

I guess it’s true that “it depends what you want to do.”

I’ve been interested in the WMD SSM for a while, but more recently I realised the SSSR Matrixarchate might be more interesting for me. The SSSR has an i2c connector which means it can be programmatically controlled by the Monome Teletype. The significance of this is that these 2 modules make a true hybrid analogue-digital computer, allowing dynamic switching of analogue signal circuits under digital control.

SSSR Matrixarchate
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sssr-labs ... rixarchate
https://www.sssrlabs.com/store/sm010/

Monome Teletype
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/monome-teletype
http://monome.org/modular

I don’t think there’s another combination in Euro at the moment that achieves this level of hybrid reconfigurable control? I’d be glad to hear opinions on this. Write your control code on the Teletype and tell the SSSR to dynamically configure the analogue wiring.

As a comparison I think the WMD SSM allows stepping up/down through stored programs (whole configurations of the matrix) under gate control, but not programmed control of individual connections in the matrix - which the SSSR can via i2c.

The SSM is 4x4 with loads of neat functions, while the SSSR is 16x8 with fewer functions but i2c on board.

Again, it really depends on what you’re looking to do...

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:17 am

But Maze has VCAs!

If you’re not jumping into Teletype, I see the Matrixarchate as a little too simple from a signal mixing standpoint. Mixing signals seems inevitable in matrix arrangements. There seem to be hints of different variants, but it’s a bit confusing.

BaloErets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Worth noting that if you're using Rene2 and/or Tempi, then the WMD SSM is a no brainer, as it's compatible with the select bus. Having state control over matrix-routing is insanely powerful!!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:45 pm

BaloErets wrote:Worth noting that if you're using Rene2 and/or Tempi, then the WMD SSM is a no brainer, as it's compatible with the select bus. Having state control over matrix-routing is insanely powerful!!
I would sure like to see a demo of this. (I have the SSM, but havent uograded from Rene 1, yet)

BaloErets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:41 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
BaloErets wrote:Worth noting that if you're using Rene2 and/or Tempi, then the WMD SSM is a no brainer, as it's compatible with the select bus. Having state control over matrix-routing is insanely powerful!!
I would sure like to see a demo of this. (I have the SSM, but havent uograded from Rene 1, yet)
I would love to make one too! Since I switched to a larger format case, the practicality of making vids has been resigned, at least for now. The only way that I can pull it off is to record the audio via my audio interface, and then sync it up with a hand-held video captured on my phone, but it seems that any hand-held video is an extreme "faux-pas" in the modular world, and equally I feel a significant handicap interacting with my system using only one hand.

I'll see if I can find a way to set things up using a tripod where I can capture the R2, Tempi and SSM on the screen.. might have to rearrange the placement of some modules.... might be a good thing too :tu:

Totally off-topic; I had read your Cold Mac manual before and loved it, but stumbled upon the video today. Top-notch job my friend! Excellence from all angles :hail:

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Wow, I didn't know that. And do have a Rene2. :hyper:

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Having state control over matrix-routing is insanely powerful!!
This makes sense. Select Bus on SSM is for the whole matrix, right? Not individual patch-points in the matrix?

I need to understand Select Bus, where to start...!

I can see the value of a bi-directional switchbar module that connects patch points in say a 6x6 matrix when certain input gate conditions become true. Each matrix could be stored and recalled. The difference here is the connections are conditional on gate inputs that are held with the matrix. This is a programmable multi-way switch. I don’t think there’s anything like that atm in Euro.

So for example, defining the conditional behaviour of a 6x6 matrix:

MATRIX 07
DEFAULT:
000xxx
xxxxxx
000xx0
WHEN G1 AND G4 AND G5:
000xxx
0x0000
0xxxx0
SKIP
SKIP

MATRIX 08
...etc

This defines the default Matrix for program 07, and also provides a conditional statement which changes the matrix when those gate conditions appear on the G1-G6 gate inputs.

WHEN introduces the conditional matrix to change to
AND means both gates are present (OR could also be used)
0 means clear the connection
x means make the connection
SKIP means leave this row alone, no change

This is quite a nice "heart" of an analogue computer, because it can redefine itself when certain conditions become true. To be more complete, I think we need to allow the patch points to be determined by the value of an input Gate (not just predefined x or 0 values).

This has some similarity to what Turing had in mind, in 1936. Can't get away from his universal machine.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:33 am

Well then, that settles the switch matrix question for me then. Thanks. Very cool tip.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:46 pm

People seem to be getting rid of SSMs, which is great for me because I just got one cheap!

I had assumed that the Livestock Maze might be better because more of the switching noise is surpressed, but there a lot of options on the WMD units especially when you get the expander.

I love this thing! It's a blast switching audio sources around the stereo field using the Worng Soundstage.

cheapmachines
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cheapmachines » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 am

Do either the WMD or Maze have any switching noise issues on them?

If switching using very high frequency sources or quiet signals for example, are there clicky artifacts introduced into the signal chain?

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Select Bus compatibility aside, the Alysium MS-Matrix seems fantastic, feature-wise.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 am

sko87pro wrote:I don’t think there’s another combination in Euro at the moment that achieves this level of hybrid reconfigurable control? I’d be glad to hear opinions on this. Write your control code on the Teletype and tell the SSSR to dynamically configure the analogue wiring.
Not Euro specifically but you can program the Alyseum MS Matrix via the MIDI connection using the freely provided editor. That means it can be controlled via MIDI if you send the right messages - I haven't looked into what those are, but I have fooled around with the editor and it works nicely. You have a connection-by-connection control and I also like how you can set the changes you've made to the editor to all take place at the same time, or each change can take place in real time.

That being said I have mine up for sale as I need something smaller for my live case.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:26 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
sko87pro wrote:I don’t think there’s another combination in Euro at the moment that achieves this level of hybrid reconfigurable control? I’d be glad to hear opinions on this. Write your control code on the Teletype and tell the SSSR to dynamically configure the analogue wiring.
Not Euro specifically but you can program the Alyseum MS Matrix via the MIDI connection using the freely provided editor. That means it can be controlled via MIDI if you send the right messages - I haven't looked into what those are, but I have fooled around with the editor and it works nicely. You have a connection-by-connection control and I also like how you can set the changes you've made to the editor to all take place at the same time, or each change can take place in real time.

That being said I have mine up for sale as I need something smaller for my live case.
The Alyseum Matrix II is even better.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 am

davide3737 wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

The Alyseum Matrix II is even better.
No, I need something hands-on as this is aimed for a live case. These 16x16 modules are superb for larger studio systems or if you don't mind programming your switching. They are not hands-on.

I've really enjoyed using the CV control on it after programming each setting, but I need something smaller and different so this has to go. Paying 400 euros for the new version is out of the question, although I wouldn't mind having more inputs/outputs than your typical 4x4 matrices out there.
BlinkyLights wrote:Select Bus compatibility aside, the Alysium MS-Matrix seems fantastic, feature-wise.
You know, funny you should mention, but I assume you could get the MIDI message out of the Select Bus and plug it on the MS-Matrix. I have not tried it as I don't have a Select Bus module from ES, you know the 4HP one with DIN connections, but on paper it might be the right type of message and could work. :hmm: :yay: I need to check!

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 am

Ive still not sat down with my live stock but the alternative I considered when got it was the super simple
BARTON 045

Looking at the suggestions here, probably not.

DSC's mute version : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ninstrume ... face-bmc45

He found the SSM to complex

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:25 am

That's a nice option, but you lose a lot in order to gain 2hp. In terms of features, the SSM is exactly like the Barton, plus 4 comparators and the DAC. The common functionality between the two is super easy to access, so even if you don't want to get into the randomizing etc (which is also very straightforward in my opinion) I don't see why you'd prefer the Barton over the SSM.

But anyway, I like Barton designs and boy that DSC version looks beautiful as always.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”