MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Really struggling with ES-3/ES-5/ESX-8MD. Too many lights
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Really struggling with ES-3/ES-5/ESX-8MD. Too many lights
raccoonboy
Hi all

Have had my ES-3 for a while and while it works great in Reason, I'm needing to use Ableton now as ES-5 and ES-8MD are not compatible with reason.

I've tried reading the manual for the silent way, but man it's confusing.

I can get a MIDI to go into my 8MD so that's a start but the gate numbers just don't seem to be acting predictably.

Gate 1/1 goes to 8MD channels 1-7
1/2 goes to 1-8
1/3 to 1-8 and 1 of the ES-5
1/4 to 1-8 and 1-2 on ES-5
1/5 to 1-8 and 1-3 on ES-5
1/6 to 1-8 and 1-4 on ES-5

1/8 channels 1-2 on ES-5 only.
2/1 nothing
2/2 nothing
2/3 1 of 8MD
2/3 1 & 2 of 8MD

and so on.. seems to be pretty random. Sometimes I can find the exact channel I'm looking for but more often than not I can't as there are too many outputs flashing.

Channel 7 on the ES-3 is usually flashing, but curiously not channel 8. :\

Any help?

thanks

PS: Do I need to put the AC Encoder after every SW Plugin? It says so in the manual, but I didn't seem to need this for Silent Way in Reason and this worked fine, although I wasn't using much negative voltages.

If I press 'Enable' on the left and right channels of AC encoder as suggested on the manual pretty much all my lights light up on ES-5 and 8MD. neutral ?
os
You don't use the AC Encoder with the ES-3 or any of the expanders.

Sounds to me like your track fader or audio interface's mixer is not at exactly 0dB.
raccoonboy
Ah okay. No AC. Cheers

Yeah I should have specified I'm on Reason 8. I.e. no VSTs. Really have no interest in VSTs in Reason. Prefer REs. So that's why ES-5 etc won't work. It's not programmed for specific outs.

Thanks for the info will check it's at 0dB when I'm home. Audio interface may well be over.
raccoonboy
Just checked. Everything is at 0dB :(
os
Can you post your Live set? Or a screenshot at least.
raccoonboy
os wrote:
Can you post your Live set? Or a screenshot at least.

Here's a screenshot as I'm probably doing something horribly wrong. I'm excluding ESX-8MD now, I'm just trying to get the ES-5 working.

As you can see I have The Gate on 1/4. This dimly lights up channels 1-3 on the ES-5 when MIDI is playing on that channel. Why would it light up multiple channels though I wonder?

If I want to have a gate out and not midi then what do I do?

If I turn off this MIDI section and move Output 1 (bottom left) through the numbers 0-255 I get various different numbers of the ES-5, light up brightly, often in groups, but they stay lit. So MIDI isn't triggering anything as a gate. Output 2 doesn't do much.

As you can see I have my outputs 19/20, this is the correct outputs for chan 7/8 of my ES-3.

thanks

[/img]
os
That looks OK. What audio interface is driving the ES-3? What are its settings? Can you post a screenshot of that?
raccoonboy
os wrote:
That looks OK. What audio interface is driving the ES-3? What are its settings? Can you post a screenshot of that?

Zoom TAC-8.

I'm noticing that when I press play, there is only a peak on the left channel of my two outputs... I'm sure earlier on in the day it was the right only two. But definitely not seen both channels working, which is odd. It's the same on Live as well, only left outputting.
os
Seems OK, though I'm not familiar with that interface in particular.

The big 'upsampling' thing worries me. What does that mean?
raccoonboy
os wrote:
Seems OK, though I'm not familiar with that interface in particular.

The big 'upsampling' thing worries me. What does that mean?

To be honest I never even noticed that. I've turned it off now, but unfortunately it has not helped :(
raccoonboy
Audio straight to the ADAT outputs works, in that it goes to both left and right channels.

Just the ES software for some reason is only going Left :\

edit: Also happening in Reaper
os
That's expected. ES-5 channels 1-3 are left, 4-6 are right.
raccoonboy
os wrote:
That's expected. ES-5 channels 1-3 are left, 4-6 are right.

I see. Makes sense. But the problem still persists. I can't get for example, channel 3 or 4 out individually. I can only get 1-4 at the same time :\
raccoonboy
Okay. I'm starting to get it now.. I have managed to successfully make triggers on the ES-5 where I want them.

I have Gates 1 Chan set to 1 AND Gates 2 set to 1. For some reason this works.

Then a C2 triggers output 1 and anything above triggers the following outputs.

Now I just need to see if I can get the ESX-8MD doing what I want it to.

Bear with me.
raccoonboy
Okay.. The strangeness or my lack of understanding continues.

these are my settings. This works perfect for the ES-5.

As you can see. Both 1 Chan and 2 Chan are at 1, 48.
If either channel is changed it won't play anything.

This is fine as it works. The problem is. When you plug in the 8MD. This Also starts flashing on notes above (but not including) 48. So if I have a cycle of outputs 1-5 on the ES-5, the 8MD will output simultaneously at 1-4. I don't seem to be able to stop the 8MD being activated. Any settings I try I get very erratic results from the 8MD. Even tried changing it to channel 3 on the ES-5. No joy.
os
You certainly shouldn't need to set both '1 Chan' and '2 Chan' to the same thing.

Which ES-5 header is the 8MD connected to?

Turn everything off in the plug-in and then set the values

in turn on the Output knobs. If you do that on 'Output 1' you should get the 8 LEDs of the ES-5 lighting one at a time. If you do it on the output corresponding to the 8MD you should get the LEDs of the 8MD lighting one at a time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1