MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hallo.. do I buy the Novation Peak or Dave Smith Rev 2?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hallo.. do I buy the Novation Peak or Dave Smith Rev 2?
PoopMonster666
please help I cannot choose between the two synthesizers ..
tehyar
Lol... alright, who's alt trolling? hihi
PoopMonster666
tehyar wrote:
Lol... alright, who's alt trolling? hihi

What do u think of the two synthesis device?
Luap
Wrong forum, try here:
www.gearslutz.com/board/
franktropez
Get them both is the answer! Guinness ftw! hyper hyper hyper we're not worthy w00t screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo nanners Dead Banana nanners nanners zombie thumbs up seriously, i just don't get it SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

No seriously. What are you making? Dubstep or EDM? If you make dubstep get the rev2 because it's 100% analog, meaning it has lfo's (they don't exist in the digital domain) so you can modulate the resonance for that typical dubstep bass wiggle. Also it's osc's can do both sine as well as pyramid waves that can go as low as 5 hz for superdeep bass (peak can only go to 1200 hZ because of the digital oscs). If you're playing the edm game go for the peak, it has a built in flanger for build-ups plus you can manually close the filter for epic drops because all the knobs are right there. But seriously, get both.

angry thumbs up
PoopMonster666
I don’t think I have ever listen to dubstep...

I prefer IDM, perhaps classic rock, experimental electronic like Shpongle and Tipper...
Panason
Quote:
If you make dubstep get the rev2 because it's 100% analog, meaning it has lfo's (they don't exist in the digital domain) so you can modulate the resonance for that typical dubstep bass wiggle. Also it's osc's can do both sine as well as pyramid waves that can go as low as 5 hz for superdeep bass (peak can only go to 1200 hZ because of the digital oscs).

I have a strange feeling about this.
PoopMonster666
What do you say then?
gentle_attack
I'd probably start with a couple MATHS, and then add Disting and Ornament & Crime.
tehyar
Panason wrote:
Quote:
If you make dubstep get the rev2 because it's 100% analog, meaning it has lfo's (they don't exist in the digital domain) so you can modulate the resonance for that typical dubstep bass wiggle. Also it's osc's can do both sine as well as pyramid waves that can go as low as 5 hz for superdeep bass (peak can only go to 1200 hZ because of the digital oscs).

I have a strange feeling about this.

It's the 5hz pyramid waves. They can cause irregularity.
PoopMonster666
gentle_attack wrote:
I'd probably start with a couple MATHS, and then add Disting and Ornament & Crime.

modular synthesis creates the most unmusical sound design in history. I rather play a lute 11 time out of 10.

I have never heard a good song using modular synth due to the time sink:result ratio Rockin' Banana!
sduck
PoopMonster666 wrote:

modular synthesis creates the most unmusical sound design in history. I rather play a lute 11 time out of 10.

I have never heard a good song using modular synth due to the time sink:result ratio

I guess we can shut down this thread now - troll has come out from under the bridge.

Folks, let's not feed the troll. If you have legit answers to the first post, have at it, but try to contain yourselves otherwise.
heckadecimal69
These are my favorite threads.
Simple solution: sell everything and get a "good job"
PoopMonster666
If no one wishes to further input I am going to purchase the Peak tonight due to its utility.
sduck
The peak is an excellent synth. I chose it over a number of other options. A good portion of the "info" posted above about it is wrong. And don't base your opinion on the peak on the presets - while some of them are nice, they don't really show off the full range of the synth.
PoopMonster666
sduck wrote:
The peak is an excellent synth. I chose it over a number of other options. A good portion of the "info" posted above about it is wrong. And don't base your opinion on the peak on the presets - while some of them are nice, they don't really show off the full range of the synth.

How about the Peak vs. OB6? I have found an OB6 new for below $1,900... seems like a nice deal.
sduck
I don't know - I really liked the online demos I found on youtube, but didn't really want to pay that much - it's quite a bit more.
CF3
PoopMonster666 wrote:

How about the Peak vs. OB6? I have found an OB6 new for below $1,900... seems like a nice deal.

I have both of these synths and they're totally different beasts. Both in character and functionality. Both sound excellent, but aren't really comparable except that they are both synths.
The OB-6 is really sweet sounding if not a bit basic. But the gorgeous tone more than makes up for it.
The Peak has a bunch of good programming features, including 2 xtra LFO's now since the new update. The Peak is bargain IMO.
PoopMonster666
CF3 wrote:
PoopMonster666 wrote:

I have both of these synths and they're totally different beasts. Both in character and functionality. Both sound excellent, but aren't really comparable except that they are both synths.
The OB-6 is really sweet sounding if not a bit basic. But the gorgeous tone more than makes up for it.
The Peak has a bunch of good programming features, including 2 xtra LFO's now since the new update. The Peak is bargain IMO.

das OB6 truly sounds like a synth made by the hand of the creator. Perhaps I should purchase OB6 and Serum virtual synthesizer...
Panason
I saw a "Satanic Messiah" on GS asking similar questions. is this an old school trawl? twisted

Anyway you could have done a little reading up as there are many discussions on this topic and it gets a bit repetitive.

Serum destroys the hardware in terms of synthesis power. The hardware is nicer to use. It all sounds good. The end.
PoopMonster666
Panason wrote:
I saw a "Satanic Messiah" on GS asking similar questions. is this an old school trawl? twisted

Anyway you could have done a little reading up as there are many discussions on this topic and it gets a bit repetitive.

Serum destroys the hardware in terms of synthesis power. The hardware is nicer to use. It all sounds good. The end.

You got me, I am SatanicMessiah, here to subtly troll while also seeking generic information that has been answered many times over w00t

Which do u prefer? I’m about to buy the OB6 otherwise I’m getting a Behringer OB beast.
scanningthemirror
I'd go for the dsi Rev 2 any day over the peak.
PoopMonster666
scanningthemirror wrote:

I simply haven’t heard a demo I’ve enjoyed of the Peak after listening to the OB6.
orangehexagon
Panason wrote:

This coming from the guy who repeatedly rants on and on about the same Elektron stuff over and over all over the forum... meh
orangehexagon
PoopMonster666 wrote:
scanningthemirror wrote:

I simply haven’t heard a demo I’ve enjoyed of the Peak after listening to the OB6.

I own both the Peak and the OB-6.

I know this is maybe a bit boring and typical of me to say, but they really are apples and oranges.

The Peak has a vastly wide sonic palette, but requires the time to program it and set up the mod matrix. It's not dauntingly menu-divey (it's actually very fast to program), but it is not as immediate as the OB-6.

If you have the imagination, the Peak can get weird, wild, and pushed into alien territory. The OB-6 sounds lush and immediate simultaneously.

I should also note that the Peak has some really crappy presets. It's one of the only synths where I deleted all of the presets after my first week with it.

You can make the Peak sound very "vintage" with the diverge and drift parameters. I don't think this is showcased enough and it really makes the Peak sing.

The OB-6 is almost impossible to program something that doesn't sound great. The filter is really what makes it too. The filter on the Peak is more static sounding and less unique, but has more versatility.

Feel free to ask me specific questions about them.

UPDATE: I realize now this is a troll post. This is an extremely boring troll as well. At least be funny!

RIP Muffs 2019.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2