MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI 2.0 announced at NAMM 2019
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author MIDI 2.0 announced at NAMM 2019
Rex Coil 7
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the forums here in Miffwugglers. If it was and I missed, lock or delete this thread.

But 32 bit MIDI ... seriously cool.

synthpriest
Took some time. hihi w00t
calaveras
seriously. I think it's on RFC 1988.1.1.1.1.1?
bwhittington
Oh noes, all my MIDI 1.0 devices are obsolete now. woah
Rex Coil 7
bwhittington wrote:
Oh noes, all my MIDI 1.0 devices are obsolete now. woah
The sky is truly falling .... cry
GuyaGuy
And Elektron users thought they had to wait a long time for an Overbridge update!
beatcleaver
"32 bits ought to be enough for anyone"
E Baxter Put
Midi 1.0 is definitely warmer.
Samaepstein
lol
E Baxter Put wrote:
Midi 1.0 is definitely warmer.
kcd06
I'm honestly waiting for the first, "I like MIDI v1 as it has a more analog sound," or some grognard lecturing those punk kids on how they have things easy with MIDIv2 and complaining about MPE.
Panason
Do you hear that? It's the sound of hardware manufacturers ignoring MIDI 2.0...

It sounds a bit like a Volca failing to sync to MIDI clock.. or an Elektron machine using MIDI Sample Dump.

Just be happy you got 7 bits- this is not the future, you know.
dooj88
for the love of god if it's going to have pins, spread them equidistant around the socket so i don't have to crane my neck round the back of the synth to double check which way the cable should align.
Panason
Looks like minijacks is the grim future.

I read today that the Moog One does not have working MIDI clock sync....

It (MIDI) really is a lost cause.
goldplate
I'm pretty sure it will be complicated, maybe even obscure, hence why people will tell they prefer MIDI 1.0.
Dave Kendall
^ Yup. Quite likely many people will not understand it, or only get it a bit, and as since the dawn of the tool age, will blame it, not their understanding. "I can't use this tool - it's crap"

kcd06 wrote:
I'm honestly waiting for the first, "I like MIDI v1 as it has a more analog sound," or some grognard lecturing those punk kids on how they have things easy with MIDIv2 and complaining about MPE.

Someone will definitely say that zipper noise when opening a filter with 7-bit CCs is desirable. smile

I wish MIDI 2.0 well - not being able to foretell the future, it remains to be seen just how widely it will be adopted. But 32-bit control resolution, and backwards compatibility with MIDI 1.0 are both very welcome.

The current problems of sending MTC or MIDI clock down the same physical cable as other information will likely effectively disappear, if they get it right. Whether that translates to better timing DAW - MIDI and the outside world or not is down to whether the PC industry takes it onboard or not. USB MIDI is an example of that not being done properly - with a new spec from a body with plenty of folks from the MI industry working on it, I guess we'll see.
Panason
With USB 3 and low latency setups it isn't really a computer OS problem anymore.
Rex Coil 7
Dave Kendall wrote:
Someone will definitely say that zipper noise when opening a filter with 7-bit CCs is desirable. smile.
And still others will claim they can still hear Velocity stepping through the 4 Billion+ steps that 32 bit will offer. Them "golden ear types" must have very tough lives. "It's so hard being me!"

meh

lol
Dave Kendall
hihi
flashheart
Glad everyone's so positive... hihi seriously, i just don't get it
Rex Coil 7
flashheart wrote:
It's not negativity, it's skepticism. thumbs up
Dave Kendall
flashheart wrote:

MIDI 2.0 will likely be a very useful upgrade. It's the humans that decide to use it wisely/properly or not that's the problem. smile

I do really wish it well, and welcome its (rather late) arrival. nanners
Rex Coil 7
Dave Kendall wrote:
flashheart wrote:

MIDI 2.0 will likely be a very useful upgrade. It's the humans that decide to use it wisely/properly or not that's the problem. smile

I do really wish it well, and welcome its (rather late) arrival. nanners
We share the same outlook.

Only thing I'm concerned about is if we'll be dealing with yet another connection scheme, or worse, adaptive pigtails. As it stands we have USB, USB Type C, Thunderbolt, Firewire, MIDI/DIN 5, and MIDI over 3.5mm. I understand that backward compatibility will most likely be addressed, however that says nothing about connection formats.

Only because I am invested in MIDI/DIN5, I hope they find a way to make this new version work over that cable method. MIDI is my weakest subject when it comes to synths, that said I wouldn't know if this new protocol can even be made to work over DIN5. One can hope!

pbear :(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1