MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

audio to update firmware/cheap device?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author audio to update firmware/cheap device?
Nelson Baboon
I have a couple of devices that update by playing a .wav file. Whenever I've tried this method, it's worked....but I find the process somewhat of a disincentive to upgrade sometimes - i have to crawl awkwardly to grab an output from my interface, etc, and so I'll usually think of some way to avoid this.

i'm wondering if there are cheap devices that do the following: allow you to move a .wav file to them, and play them back with sufficient fidelity, easily, to update devices like this.

perhaps this is a totally silly question.
Synth Con Meo
Actually I think I either used my Samsung Pad or my Cellphone last couple of times I updated my 0-coast. Using the phone is a little tricky in that if something comes in like a text alert or phone call that might interrupt the audio output it will cause issues.

Just my 2 cents.
blakeq
Maybe try a cheap recorder by zoom or tascam. Like a dr05 or a zoom h1
blakeq
You could also try using something in your rack that plays back audio and takes an sd card.

Like an expert sleepers disting for example.
Nelson Baboon
blakeq wrote:
You could also try using something in your rack that plays back audio and takes an sd card.

Like an expert sleepers disting for example.

don't really have anything. that's why I asked. (but - hmmmm - i think my gotharman might do it, actually.)
Nelson Baboon
yeah - never thought about the ld3 when I posed the question, probably because my first thought wasn't to play back audio without any processing on this thing. But it works great.
IR
Some mp3 players can also play stuff in .wav.
Struggle
A lot of eurorack modules update this way. I’ve always had the best luck using my iPhone/iTunes to playback the file.

Edit: forgot that Koma Komplex sequencers update this way too. I just used the audio/headphone output of my computer for this and was successful.
rowsbywoof
How about a Sansa Clip or something tiny and cheap like that. Those will play back wave and can be tossed into a drawer and take up almost no space. Lots of cheap old ones, too. A 2gb or 4gb would be more than enough, and they have microSD slots to make it even easier. Double as a good cheap music player for the gym, too.
IR
By the way, I have a Sansa, a couple of years old but newer, and the maximum level is not very high. I had an older Sansa that didn't have this problem that I noticed, but that one was pretty old and it doesn't work anymore.

The newer one has a microSD slot, the older one was red and didn't have any slot.

I don't know if the level is loud enough for what is needed, but it is loud enough for listening on headphones without hurting my ears on max. It kind of bothers me because I want to run it through this boom box that doesn't have a very loud aux input. Other mp3 players or computers are louder.
Nelson Baboon
Drat. can't do the Koma Komplex from the ld3. The komplex .wave files are 32 bit, which the ld3 (or, I guess, my other gotharman devices) will not accept.

will a cheap mp3 player play back a 32 bit .wav file?
rayce
Nelson you could just convert the 32bit file to a 16bit file and then use the LD3 for it. Shouldn't make a difference for the data transfer over audio.

Something like switch sound file converter would do the job.
Nelson Baboon
rayce wrote:
Nelson you could just convert the 32bit file to a 16bit file and then use the LD3 for it. Shouldn't make a difference for the data transfer over audio.

Something like switch sound file converter would do the job.

this is not my area, but can't you potentially lose information that way? Which could potentially corrupt the unit that you are updating?

why would they make it 32 bit?
JayEm
do you not have a cellphone?
thetwlo
just use the miniplug sound out on your Mac. Play file with VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

just leave a cable plugged in... no need to bother with your audio interface.
[shit, that's assuming Macs still have an analog audio out????]
Nelson Baboon
JayEm wrote:

do you really talk that way?
Nelson Baboon
thetwlo wrote:
just use the miniplug sound out on your Mac. Play file with VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

getting behind my mac to do that can be an issue. want cheap device that I can put on my desk. Sorry for the trouble.
thetwlo
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

getting behind my mac to do that can be an issue. want cheap device that I can put on my desk. Sorry for the trouble.

yeah, but you only need to do it once, just leave a long enough cable plugged in, or a short cable with a female end. If you still have an iMac the Headphone jack should be on the right. That's probably easier than trying to get one of those cheap mp3 players to do it correctly.
I use the headphone out of an old macbook.
Nelson Baboon
thetwlo wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

yeah, but you only need to do it once, just leave a long enough cable plugged in, or a short cable with a female end. If you still have an iMac the Headphone jack should be on the right. That's probably easier than trying to get one of those cheap mp3 players to do it correctly.
I use the headphone out of an old macbook.

i would need to have a very long cable plugged in all of the time. Can't anyone just, like, answer the fucking question rather than trying to offer me solutions that I'm saying I don't want? Why should I have to defend this.
IR
Nelson Baboon wrote:
will a cheap mp3 player play back a 32 bit .wav file?

Some yes, some no, RTFM. Or in other words D(own)L(oad)TFM.

I would stay away from the newer Sansa Clip for the reason I posted in the post above. I mean it might work, but the level is lower so it might not. It's a cool mp3 player if you want it for listening to music otherwise.

Also with telephones, you can get a cheap used one with keys that will do the job. Plus you can use at as a recorder, you need a y-cable to use a real microphone (or line input) and it will likely be just mono for the recording-stereo playback. Just use it in airplane mode, you don't need to use the phone functions.
rayce
I'd say its extremely unlikely 32bit versus 16 bit audio makes any difference for an audio data transfer. I doubt the converters on the device in question are sensitive enough to even tell between 12 bit or even 8 bit.

I bet if you took the 32bit audio file and converted it to 16 bit then inverted it and mixed it with the original it would null.
hbc
rayce wrote:
I'd say its extremely unlikely 32bit versus 16 bit audio makes any difference for an audio data transfer. I doubt the converters on the device in question are sensitive enough to even tell between 12 bit or even 8 bit.

I bet if you took the 32bit audio file and converted it to 16 bit then inverted it and mixed it with the original it would null.

I bet most playback devices used for this stuff don’t have a 32 bit DAC either. Koma should really provide a more compatible file.

Also I’d second the portable recorder suggestion. I use my Tascam DR05 way more than I would ever use a stand-alone MP3 player.
JayEm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
JayEm wrote:

do you really talk that way?

yes, i do indeed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1