MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Going Marie Kondo on my modular.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Going Marie Kondo on my modular.....
wsy
You probably have heard of Marie Kondo's methods of decluttering; "hold the object.
If it makes joy spring from your heart, keep it. Otherwise, thank it for it's service
and send it on it's way - sell it, donate it, or trash it."

I'm thinking of doing exactly that with my racks.... for each module, see if it makes me
joyful. And if not, off to BST with you (2/3 list for in production 1/2 list for superceded)!

Opinions?

- Bill
jonne74
I think it's a healthy attitude and not just with music gear. I'm always impressed when I see minimal setups.
Pelsea
Given that my total module real estate is limited to 104hp x 10U, I have to be pretty brutal about what I buy or build in the first place. But yes, eventually it will come to that. I am harshest on things I build, since the investment is low.

In fact, I have often cut back on my holdings--when I retired five tears ago, I cleared half my studio to make room for a model railroad. When I started my Eurorack last summer, my Triton keyboard and Capybara went into storage.

However, my criterion is more irritation than joy. If something hasn't been used recently or is taking up space better devoted to something else, its days are numbered. I don't sell or recycle stuff though--I have a pretty big garage.
BTG
Often times I buy a module because it satisfies a perceived need or more likely I saw an amazing demo of it. Then when I receive it I find I don’t ever use it because I don’t invest time in it.

To combat this I now force myself to evaluate any module I haven’t patched in a few months. I do this by forcing myself to write a tutorial on the module and get in depth. If I still feel nothing then it goes.
cptnal
The Marie Kondo approach sounds like new age bollocks to me, but anything you own should serve a purpose, be it functional, aesthetic or sentimental.
emilng
cptnal wrote:
The Marie Kondo approach sounds like new age bollocks to me, but anything you own should serve a purpose, be it functional, aesthetic or sentimental.

Sounds like "serve a purpose, be it functional, aesthetic or sentimental" is your version of "bring you joy" so you're basically saying the same thing in different words.
wsy
I guess the Kondo approach is kind of a short path to prioritizing stuff. "Sparking Joy
is just a way to open up and say how you really feel about something.

Like I've got a perfectly good Mordax DATA in the rack. But I hate it, because I use it only
as an oscilloscope and as a scope it has one absolute unforgivable bug - it doesn't
sync H correctly in "normal" mode and so unless you know (and remember)
that you have to set "trig" on each and every trace, it's a liar and a cheat.

Does it spark joy? No. I should have bought another O'Toole+ for half as much
money, but which sparks joy in me.

I've got a Rene (original version). My skin is too dry to use it. It sparks no joy, only
annoyance that they _could_ have used the same interface circuit as on the
Pressure Points, yet they did not. I would spark joy with it by crushing it in a
hydraulic press, except that I suspect that would waste joy of many others
who could use it and make beautiful music.

I have a TelHarmonic. Every time I try to patch it, I spend more time trying to remember
how it works than actually making music. It sparks no joy, only annoyance.

I have an Ornament and Crime. Same deal; must find web page to figure out the damn
thing. The cute names serve only to taunt my limited memory. It sparks no joy, only
annoyance.

I have a Streams. Damned if I can use it without resorting to a test setup first. It sparks
only annoyance.

..... And then there are the modules that spark joy and hate. Clouds. Rings. SMR.
DU-SEQ. Modules that work "well enough", but aren't core. They spark competency,
but not pure joy.

Then there is pure joy, like a MATHS or a Turing or a Blinds or an FM-Ogre or an Aperture or
an MMF or a Radio Music or a Kermit or an Ultra Random or an Erbe-Verb or a Befaco Joystick.

Maybe I need to make my modular (4x 100HP) smaller, to make it better.

- Bill
cptnal
Indeed, the decluttering idea has been around thousands of years (probably as long as we've had stuff to accumulate), but I don't think Ms. Kondo's version helpfully describes our sometimes complex relationship with stuff. (I'll concede that calling it new age bollocks is equally unhelpful.)

My point is don't jettison something useful for the sake of some narrowly-defined criteria. thumbs up
Flexyflier
Everything of mine is always in perpetual change,be it Euro,hardware synths or motorcycles.
MarcelP
"She was listed as one of Time's "100 most influential people" in 2015."

eek!
starthief
There was another recent thread like this, maybe in the General Gear forum?

I suspect part of why Kondo's stuff kind of sounds like New Age woo is that it's been translated from Japanese language and cultural context. Apparently she was a therapist, and observed that a lot of people have junk that makes them unhappy and the solution for that is pretty simple.

I'm pretty bad about keeping a tidy house, but in terms of synths I've always done this. Annoying or redundant gear, and stuff I just don't find myself using regularly, must go. This isn't the same as minimalism -- I managed to accumulate a moderately large modular synth anyway.

Then there's that weird territory of gear that I love using, but when I put it aside I don't actually need it or miss it and I'm still happy. And the weirdest territory of gear that I decide I don't need, sell, miss, buy back, and then still don't use much (hello, Warps).
Pelsea
For an opposing view, see A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder - How Crammed Closets, Cluttered Offices, and on-the-Fly Planning Make the World a Better Place, by Abrahamson and Freedman.

They describe my methods pretty well.
fireclown
Pelsea wrote:
For an opposing view, see A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder - How Crammed Closets, Cluttered Offices, and on-the-Fly Planning Make the World a Better Place, by Abrahamson and Freedman.

and my madness.
sounds like a classic I can make room for!
Blairio
I suggest adopting the principles of Feng Shui for Marie Kondo's and every other coffee table self-help book - and consign them to the recycle bin.

We seem to be living in an era where increasing numbers of folk are looking to other people to tell them how to live their lives, rather than just getting on with things.

I will cover this in more detail, along with other home-spun nuggets of wisdom, in my new coffee table book called "Just getting on with things - the antidote to self-help pish".
cycad73
Marie Kondo is the worst BS I've read you only get somewhere in life by sticking through things whether gear, relationships, job or whatever else. Anything brings joy at the beginning it's how you handle difficulty and push through failure. Failure can totally eat you up it takes you through long periods where nothing brings joy and you fucking despair and want just to burn it all down but you gotta stick with it.
bwhittington
wsy wrote:
And if not, off to BST with you (2/3 list for in production 1/2 list for superceded)!

One opinion: I'll be eagerly awaiting your b/s/t post. hyper hihi

(Though each of the reasons why you dislike a module sounds like something I would dislike, too.)
Rigo
I'm just afraid that, now Gwyneth Paltrow also gets a docu on Netflix, people start goop-ing their modular help
wsy
Pelsea wrote:

Oh, that's me all the way.

At the lab I have an (outdated) mini-poster on my door:

SIX IMPORTANT ENGINEERING NUMBERS

PI = 3.14

E = 2.7

C = 3 E 8 meters/sec

YOUR TIME = $100 / hour

YOUR INTERN TIME = $30 / hour

STORAGE = $50 cu ft / year

CHOOSE WISELY

"Going Kondo" to me isn't about decluttering, it's about removing those things that I
dislike (either actively dislike, or passively defer to)

(and yes, BST shall become the way)

- Bill
cycad73
starthief wrote:

I suspect part of why Kondo's stuff kind of sounds like New Age woo is that it's been translated from Japanese language and cultural context. Apparently she was a therapist, and observed that a lot of people have junk that makes them unhappy and the solution for that is pretty simple.

Well I guess this should also be considered, that there may be deeper layers of meaning. But the American adaptation of this simply feeds consumerism. Get rid of stuff that doesn't bring instant gratification so you can just buy more. Keep the goods recirculating, keep the Amazon workers running around. Keep the machine running. But this machine is also a global system, and certainly has had its impact in Japan. And the worst aspect is it affects what the things become. If you pursue the other strategy and don't buy things, then you learn to appreciate the things you have in their permanence. Which means they will be very different things for you at different times. They will bring joy at one moment and sadness and frustration the next. They can help establish friendships one moment and help break them the next. It's like a rock, at different times of the year it may be covered with snow, at other times moss, at other times it will shine with brilliant color on a clear day thanks to the sun, ... it is always different. Sometimes birds gather around sometimes humans. Things in their permanence set up entire worlds. Whereas the commodity is always the same at every time and every place. The commodity has no world because it has to keep recirculating everywhere, or perhaps this recirculation is its world. If you buy a synth on Reverb, you get a notice two days later, why not list it again for sale? So why not refuse this. Don't buy anything and hope the system itself collapses or runs out. The way to keep them from accumulating is not to buy them and realize the things you have will keep changing with you anyway. And that there can be no joy without frustration and sadness.
unexpectedbowtie
Kondo's approach is rooted in Shintoism, so hardly 'new age bollocks'.
Carci
Announcing Kondo modular's Joy sparlker module.
23 HP, 50 bright yellow blinking LEDs and that's it.
You'll keep it forever.
AlvaroKuper
Carci wrote:
You'll keep it forever.

(not compatible with Kondo Modular's case, with no rails, no psu, no power, no me, no you, no they, no us)
wsy
Carci wrote:
You'll keep it forever.

Count me in on the preorder !

(PMed for Joy Sparkler; send PayPal info pls.)

- Bill
in_sherman
I only have 2 spices in my kitchen, maths and another maths
wsy
See also:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3008957#3008957
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2