MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland boutique (d-05) audio over USB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland boutique (d-05) audio over USB
Bar.
Hi,
Anyone recording audio over USB into their DAW from a boutique?
Struggling to find folks using this feature or a decent USB cable to achieve it.
My old Samsung cable worked to a degree but now I get audio drop outs!

I want to record my Volcas (and sequence them) through my d-05 but this 'feature' of the boutiques doesn't seem to work very well.

Thanks

Bar.
Blairio
Double post - doh!
Blairio
I had a look at the D-05's manual (I own one too), and I reckon the input socket on the back of the D-05 is intended to let you hear another device through the D-05's output, rather than to let you record the output from that other device through the D-05's USB Bus.

The Sound On Sound review of the D-05 in their February 2018 issue says of the D-05's input that ..."This input is labelled Mix, which is appropriate because it allows you to mix your playing with the presented audio."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-d-05
So my understanding (which may well be wrong..) Is that:

1. The analog input is combined with the D-05 on its analog output. That will let you for instance combine a layered sound, or hear a drum machine or mp3 player for practise purposes.

2. the D-05 is not functioning as an Analog to Digital converter for signals presented to its input socket, and therefore won't present that input signal to its USB bus, along with the D-05's internally (digitally) generated sound.
Bar.
Hi,

I think you can record it but you would need an initialised, effectively silent D-05 patch to not hear the D-05 as well. Been using and recording the D-05 audio (and midi) over USB this afternoon but any slight movement of the cable and Reason loses the audio. The usb out on the Roland, through the choice they made, is so tiny and feeble that it is not up to the job or recording unfortunately.
Blairio
If that works, then great - the D05 is effectively functioning as an audio interface for your PC.

The issue with the USB cable or socket on the D05 highlights its Achilles heel:

It isn't enough to make a professional sounding synth, the connectivity into/out of the instrument should be professional grade as well.

Stereo minijacks may be fine for an mp3 player, but not for a synth module. This, and the 'master volume' trim pot on the rear panel let the side down for what is otherwise a great wee synth.
Bar.
I agree, unfortunately Roland have gone so far but not far enough. The USB connection is weak - when I compare it to the same size one on my camera which is much more secure. The audio ins and outs just scream compromise as they could have fit full size in there. Oh well!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1