MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel Case Meanwell power supply issues
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Intellijel Case Meanwell power supply issues
jerod
Hey everyone,

So I just got a new Intellijel 104U case and I absolutely love it, but am unfortunately having some issues with hissing and crackling that seems to be coming from the power supply. When I handle the cord on the power supply it sounds like a bad instrument cable, with crackling, cutting in out etc. I did the "take each module out one by one" and power it up again test, and no change there. Thought it could be my output module (WMD), but even when I took a signal out of a sound module and went it to my mixer, the same issue was happening. I can't say for certain if the static is going in to the mix, but is certainly noticeable through my studio monitors, and I would imagine being frustrating in the live setting. I put my setup back in to my A-100 and everything is clear and no hissing/crackling which leads me to believe it is in fact the Meanwell brick. I suppose it could be the input itself on the case, but that seems unlikely.

Intellijel has offered an RMA if it has defective parts (which it does), but I could imagine this taking a while, and with a gig coming up I don't have a lot of time to mail it back, and wait for this process etc. Additionally I just want to keep the case cause it rules. The shop I bought it from has been responsive but we haven't been able to really dig in to troubleshooting.

Does anyone happen to know a power supply I could try in the interim, thats not a Meanwell? Im not very good when it comes to the technical aspect of voltage etc, so I don't want to buy the wrong one and do something harmful to my case, or is that even possible?

Last resort is I have to return it, but I really don't want to do that, because again its an awesome case.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!
Astrolabe23
Probably not what you want to hear, but I would return the case and invest in something with a solid, heavy duty internal power supply. This forum is littered with people posting tragedy stories of meanwell external power supplies. I would not risk my expensive modules on an inexpensive power solution. Best of luck to you in getting it figured out for your gig.
Rex Coil 7
Mungo
jerod wrote:
When I handle the cord on the power supply it sounds like a bad instrument cable, with crackling, cutting in out etc.
Could be as simple as a broken cable or joint, or the connectors being loose. Sounds like the manufacturer is offering the quickest way to get it fixed for sure, since swapping out the power supply might not fix it if the connector on the case is the problem. If you don't have any other compatible bricks to try with some people have fixed similar issues by reshaping the power connector, but sometimes its just a bad brick. More detail on a similar story here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206347
jerod
Thanks everyone for the support, much appreciated. The shop ended up sending me another Meanwell brick to see if that resolved the issue, and it did not. Pretty gutted because its just a beautiful case that really is a nice piece of industrial design. It does lead me to believe it is in fact the power input, but will leave it to the experts to fix that one.

I am returning it and will continue the hunt for a new case. Has anyone had good luck with Make Noise CV or Tip Top Mantis?
Mungo
jerod wrote:
Thanks everyone for the support, much appreciated. The shop ended up sending me another Meanwell brick to see if that resolved the issue, and it did not. Pretty gutted because its just a beautiful case that really is a nice piece of industrial design. It does lead me to believe it is in fact the power input, but will leave it to the experts to fix that one.

I am returning it and will continue the hunt for a new case. Has anyone had good luck with Make Noise CV or Tip Top Mantis?
If you really like the case and its design, think about getting someone to upgrade the power connector to a 4 pin XLR. Music shops with a custom made cable/connector department should be able to do that for you.
jmeisse
I purchased the medical grade meanwell brick off of Amazon to go with my intellijel tps30w power supply and haven't had any issues. The only reason I ordered it separately at the time was stock shortages but it seems like a good decision.

here's the Amazon link

Edit: my bad I got the tps30

edit 2: could have sworn I researched the crap out this when I bought it but the Intellijel site sells a 60w adapter where I got a 40w, did I goof or have they started using the one adapter for all of their supplies?
Euro Trash Bazooka
I had a Meanwell PSU in my case, built in. Let me tell you, it SUCKED. I even had issues with some modules that didn't work properly because of the PSU (Verbos DPF, even after recalibration by the Verbos techs and all.) I bit the bullet and bought a 4ms Row Power 40 instead. Not cheap indeed, but now I'm rediscovering my rack (and I never heard the DPF sound so well.) Expensive doesn't always mean better but in terms of PSU, I think it is crucial to have a nice, stable one. Sure, it's extra money for something that doesn't create sounds, and I can see how it can be frustrating to have to invest in case AND an extra power supply, but I made the mistake once and I won't make it again. Good luck!
jmeisse
Isn't the 4ms Row Power susceptible to the same problems as the Intellijel power supply? it all depends on the ac adapter.
liquidsn
No problems here... I have 2 104hp Intellijel Cases filled.
Annoying to hear about that though.
damase
Ive been having some weird noise issues lately. More like a white noise kind of sound though not a hum, using 2x intellijel 7u with the stock power bricks. Need to look into it more, but im curious if anyone else has switched out that brick with improved results, and if so what qualifies as the highest quality compatible brick available?... because its nonsense to cheap out on such a simple element if that would improve the sound
jmeisse
It's weird that there's a huge sticky thread about the simple rule of what way to plug in your ribbon power cables but power supplies are this trap waiting for us noobs.
Mungo
jmeisse wrote:
It's weird that there's a huge sticky thread about the simple rule of what way to plug in your ribbon power cables but power supplies are this trap waiting for us noobs.
Many power supplies are very specific about their power brick requirements, and they are different from case to case, or even different depending on what modules are installed in the case. So its very hard to have a generic description.

The OP has a problem which others have hidden by using balanced interfaces:
https://forum.intellijel.com/t/question-intellijel-7u-case-issue/1000
The actual problem remains, but is less noticeable.

Just calling things a Meanwell is a big problem, they make a huge range of different supplies from bricks to complete supplies for internal installation. Changing out for another brand of power brick may have changed some specifications that were available with a different Meanwell supply. Just as changing an internal power supply installation might change some of the wiring which was actually causing the problems, and the power supply was actually fine.
jmeisse
yeah, I'm not asking about a sticky for what ac adapters to use for what power solution but a general sticky on power supplies, the kind of information you only find out by searching the forums AFTER you spend $600 and start having issues.

I know a lot of you guys have been doing this for a while but put yourself in the shoes of a beginner.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1