MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Midas 500 series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Midas 500 series
nectarios
Search didn't show anything, delete if there is another thread.

Of course price makes them very appealing, but curious about the sound.
Anyone using any? Mainly interested in the 512 EQ and 522 comp/limiter.
lasesentaysiete
I saw a while back that they are offering small cases at a decent price, but just now noticed a 10,000 € preamp. What is going on?
nectarios
I thought the 501 price was a typo, but apparently its not. Anyway, 10k pres are not what I am interested in.

I have ordered a Klark Teknik KT-2A, was on the verge of getting a 1176-KT as well, but a small case of Midas 500 modules, seems very appealing to me as well.
JohnLRice
I haven't tried them but there is some discussion on GearSlutz. Possibly the racks might need to be avoided, not sure on the modules:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1231409-no t-seen-any-news-reviews-midas-500-series.html
nectarios
JohnLRice wrote:
I haven't tried them but there is some discussion on GearSlutz. Possibly the racks might need to be avoided, not sure on the modules:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1231409-no t-seen-any-news-reviews-midas-500-series.html

Good find, I've deleted my GS account bonkers years ago. Thanks.

Interesting on the Midas lunchbox. I am going to have to convince my local shop to bring them so I can try before buy.
TRUE DEEP
Those 500 series modules used to cost something like 700+ euros, don't think they sold many units at that price. The new price makes more sense but it is still a behringer product ... no matter whose name is on the frontplate.
I also wanted to add some of this stuff, came across this when researching : https://barthrk.com/the-noisy-500-rack-switched-mode-psu/

Seems like low quality and low price always go hand in hoof.
nectarios
So far its only the lunchbox that has seen noise reports.
No reports on the modules them selves playing up, which is good.
So getting a good lunchbox and then adding the Midas 500 modules seems to be the way to go.
h4ndcrafted
Is the Lunchbox that bad? Others seem happy. £180 for a 10 slot is amazing value.
calaveras
I'd never buy anything Behringer with a power supply. They have proven to be inept at that.
I might consider a Midas EQ or Pre though. It's a damn shame I have to go through Behringer to get the Midas sound in a 500 series, but they also bought up TC, KT and Turbosound. It just kinda sucks how that works out.
nectarios
calaveras wrote:
I'd never buy anything Behringer with a power supply. They have proven to be inept at that.
I might consider a Midas EQ or Pre though. It's a damn shame I have to go through Behringer to get the Midas sound in a 500 series, but they also bought up TC, KT and Turbosound. It just kinda sucks how that works out.

KT-2A and 1176-KT prices don't suck. Neither do the Midas 500 modules prices.
Have you seen/heard the review of the 1176-KT? No noise issues with the power supply and it sounds much more expensive than the actual price.

Yeah ok, you don't like Behringer, I get it, but besides *some* reports of the noisy Behringer lunchbox, there are 0 reports of issues with the 500 Midas modules and Klark Teknik units, to my knowledge anyway. Do you know of any issues with the aforementioned units, besides the lunchbox?
calaveras
nectarios wrote:

KT-2A and 1176-KT prices don't suck. Neither do the Midas 500 modules prices.
Have you seen/heard the review of the 1176-KT? No noise issues with the power supply and it sounds much more expensive than the actual price.

Yeah ok, you don't like Behringer, I get it, but besides *some* reports of the noisy Behringer lunchbox, there are 0 reports of issues with the 500 Midas modules and Klark Teknik units, to my knowledge anyway. Do you know of any issues with the aforementioned units, besides the lunchbox?

I've read reviews as well. Not so much in the market for the 1176KT or KT2a. Those aren't real Klark Teknik products anyway. KT's forte was sound reinforcement related transfer function products like graphic EQs. Very solid, precise and transparent gear. These dynamics units cloned from other manufacturers products, that are known for character? Kind of weird putting the brand known for no character on them. But this is what happens with brand consolidation. Not unique to Behringer's family of companies (see also Harman). Not happy about it, but that's the magic hand of capital at work.

What I was alluding to about power supplies is that nearly every Behringer product I've owned, and quite a few owned by people I know, have experienced power supply failure.
Either it just stops working one day out of the blue, or it suddenly starts spewing noise.

Now I'm a total hack when it comes to circuit design and electrical engineering. But one thing I do kinda understand is power supplies. They are actually pretty simple for the most part. Behringer gonna Behringer though, and I am pretty sure they are skimping on the voltage regulators and the capacitors. After all these are not technically in the audio path. So why not use the 1 cent part instead of the 15 cent part! That adds up when you are cranking

I will take a look at the Midas 500 series modules. But when I do go fully 500 series, I'm getting the best rack I can afford. I hear good things about the Rupert Neve and Radial racks.
I've gotta finish paying off my OB6 before I can go down that hole though. And I am still fighting the urge to buy a Soundcraft LX7 or Ghost. Which frankly would be cheaper than a Midas rack fully filled up with Midas and KT modules! Albeit harder to shoehorn into my Brooklyn apartment.
Michael O.
Interesting- maybe something has changed, but in my experience Midas made foh/pa type consoles, or at best prosumer project studio stuff. Do they make desirable studio pieces these days, or has the 500 series just expanded into the live sound market?
nectarios
Michael O. wrote:
Interesting- maybe something has changed, but in my experience Midas made foh/pa type consoles, or at best prosumer project studio stuff. Do they make desirable studio pieces these days, or has the 500 series just expanded into the live sound market?

Massive price drop from about 800 to below 200 is what happened.
I've known Midas from live PA jobs too but they've managed to sell quite a few Venice desks in project studios as well.
And recently I've seen their 500 series which seem interesting, minus the reports of the power issues, some users have had with their lunchboxes.
cranleigh
I have the 6-space lunchbox, no noise issues here. Excellent features too, esp. the switches to chain one slot into the next.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1