MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SID synth options
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author SID synth options
anselmi
Any clear winner?
SOPiiAC
I own the TherapSID MKii and love it. Every parameter is midi addressable, and every knob sends midi ccs. You can load in 2 SID chips for a fatter sound and it is multi-timberal (3 voices). Plus Alex is awesome with support. thumbs up
rowsbywoof
SOPiiAC wrote:
I own the TherapSID MKii and love it. Every parameter is midi addressable, and every knob sends midi ccs. You can load in 2 SID chips for a fatter sound and it is multi-timberal (3 voices). Plus Alex is awesome with support. thumbs up

Would be my choice today, as well. Only minor drawback is you have to supply your own SID chips, but that’s not hard to do... Plus it’s set up to be user changeable, and supports all SID (6581/6582/8580), so you can change the SID between different revisions as you want.
rean1mator
i've got the therapsid mk2 and sammich. with far more time on the therapsid.

Therapsid is far easier to program. Both sound great. I'm keeping both if that says anything. Probably can't go wrong with either.

If I was forced to keep only one, it would likely be the Therapsid because of the ease of programming, manufacturer support who is always very responsive(not that I've had issues with the unit). And lastly the ability to stack two Sid Chips is pretty nice too.

Also, if you source your own sid chips, make sure it's from a reputable seller with an easy return policy. There's definitely bad chips going around and I believe even fake one's. They are getting rarer and rarer.
monads
Twisted Electrons "Therapsid"
Midibox "SammichSID"
Alm Busy Circuits "Sid Guts Deluxe"

Hmm....I used to have the regular Sid Guts and it sounded nice but sold it when I picked up a SammichSID. The SammichSID is very powerful but you have to get used to it's menu diving and setups. I picked up the Therapsid for ease of use and immediate hands-on. Alex from Twisted Electrons is also very supportive resolving any issues and is ACE! I'm not sure how much support you'd get for SammichSID other than the Midibox forums these days.

With that said, I'd go for the Therapsid! And if you decide at a later point you want more SID power then look for the SammichSID!
ranix
Good luck getting real SID chips without blown filters lol.

I have two somewhat-broken SIDs and a nano swin sid I swap around depending on need. The broken ones are interesting in their own ways and make some strange sounds.

I'm using a https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/c64-reloaded-mk 2.html and Cynthcart
buzzlegs
Nothing beats the raw sound of the Elektron Sidstation imo, sounds rough and ready but full of character, much more than anything else I've heard.
Shledge
I have SID guts and a MSSIAH cart to make one of my C64s into a full blown synth.

The SID guts is more immediate but it suffers from jitter - I'd put this down to the SID's weird envelope behaviour. MSSIAH overcomes this and even allows for paraphonic playing.
SmartBits
I have/had:

- My original C64 (mk I, so 6581 chip) from the 80's with MSSIAH cartridge
- SID Guts Deluxe (with a 6581, 8580 and SwinSID chip)
- Modded C64 mk I (6581),
- Modded C64 mk II (8580)
- SammichSID (2x 8580)

The SammichSID I sold because of the userinterface. It sounded absolutely briliant but I'm too stupid to make sense of the MidiBox OS. The same goes for the modded C64's as those used the same OS. Although these all had knobs for the most used features I felt lost in the OS. This one was mine:

I've always been interested in the SIDstation but I think that the interface would be too much for me as well, just as with the MidiBox interface. And especially the last comments in this thread would make me hesitant to go for the SIDstation, maybe they don't age well?

So atm I only have my old C64 with MSSIAH which doesn't get much use (mainly because I have to control the parameters with a joystick which makes it tedious) and a SID Guts Deluxe. The SID Guts Deluxe I can recommend for sure! Very immediate interface, obviously it's missing quite a few features that are present in other SID devices but I like the simplicity. The chord function is a nice addition as well. I still need to try the other chips, I have a 6581 installed but I do like the 8580 a lot as well as the filter works better on that.

The TherapSID looks very nice, if I was still in the market for another SID device I'd probably go for that one.
anselmi
thanks a lot for the replies!

the TherapSID looks like the one for me
DjSycamore
Am I the only guy with a super noisy therapsid? I’ve got an mkll and it almost drones just powered on and if not it’s always buzzing. Anybody else?
darcmorcel
Sounds like a normal thing to me, background noise (more precisely, VCA leakage) is inherent to the SID design.
6581 being the noisiest...
SOPiiAC
DjSycamore wrote:
Am I the only guy with a super noisy therapsid? I’ve got an mkll and it almost drones just powered on and if not it’s always buzzing. Anybody else?

Definitely part of the SID character.
pricklyrobot
If you can get one of the editors to work for you:
http://www.ucapps.de/jsynthlib.html
http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_ed.html
then the Sammich SID isn’t bad to edit. Trying to do it from the display is indeed a cryptic chore though.
desdinova
I've built two sammichsid, one for 8580, one for 6581. Had a SID guts and the performance wasn't to my liking, I've heard the new version is better.
Honestly I use the SID machine on the monomachine more than any other SID real or virtual. Editing is much more enjoyable, the arp is great, sequencer is built in!
rowsbywoof
DjSycamore wrote:

Yeah, the SID chips are incredibly noisy. I have a SID Station that makes all sort of troubling noises and leaks all sorts of things, but that's kind of its charm. Like was mentioned above, if you want that sound under a little bit more control (i.e. less noisy) the emulation in the MonoMachine is really nice. I'd still take the TherapSID these days.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1