MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Desks, furniture, Cray computer repurposed as studio rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Desks, furniture, Cray computer repurposed as studio rack
sleestack808
Desks, Who has one. Hands reach is good. Any cool ideas? what you got etc
Blairio
I use a writing desk made from reclaimed timber for my eurorack rig.

My cat also likes it, because it gets the sun in the mornings...

ObsoleteModular
Blairio wrote:

Hai, kitteh!
GavRL
yeah - just a bog standard one with an Ikea-hacked second tier.

I think I may need a bigger one soon help

Panason
My plan for a bigger custom made desk: Get the screw-on metal table legs with adjustable feet from ebay and a large piece of wooden board from the local DIY store, and cut to shape as needed. Sand edges, treat with linseed oil and/or varnish, done. Cheaper, more fun than just buying one and will fit the room perfectly.
Blairio
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Blairio wrote:

Hai, kitteh!

Indeedy. I have found (through extensive methodical research) that mixes sound better when she is in the room.
PLNB
Scrounging my parts pipe unearthed a funny tabletop solution. If you have a rack with covers for the front/back, you can use that as a table top over an adjustable metal drum machine rack. Adjustable height with a durable finish and rounded corners. Rockin' Banana!
ObsoleteModular
sleestack808 wrote:
Desks, Who has one. Hands reach is good. Any cool ideas? what you got etc

I must say sleestack808, I'm a little disappointed this thread DOESN'T feature a 'Cray computer repurposed as studio rack' angry wink

Was it this one you had in mind? I've always thought it'd make an awesome bit of furniture.

Or the inner bit could be a a load of Euroack and you could install speakers in the outer parts and then your audience can sit on the seats and bliss out! w00t

kcd06
Using a surviving original Cray as an equipment rack is akin to hacking up a Dusenberg to make an art car for your Bro-tastic Burning Man camp; ie, something that should not be done and deserving a swift and decisive reaction.
ObsoleteModular
kcd06 wrote:
Using a surviving original Cray as an equipment rack is akin to hacking up a Dusenberg to make an art car for your Bro-tastic Burning Man camp; ie, something that should not be done and deserving a swift and decisive reaction.

haha, yeah fair point

ok, one whose internals are beyond repair - an empty shell
sleestack808
Im leaning toward a U-line long packing desk with an ESD top.
That Cray looks a little cramped doesn't it?

I loved a table at my local coffee shop and I asked the wood worker the cost. That's out since it cost 25k.
bitflip
kcd06 wrote:

locust_locust
I have a Buso Audio desk.
I have no complaints with it:

Rex Coil 7
Industrial racking. Each level is 24" deep and 72" long. Max height is 72". Each level is rated at 1,700 pounds. Cost before local sales tax is around $170.00 Best synth stands I've ever owned.

They also make excellent amplifier and speaker racks ....

Gribs
I have one of Output’s studio desk things with the KB tray and it is wonderful. My only compaint is that the online docs said the KB tray is compatible with the Arturia Keystation 88 but the clearance is about 1 mm or less too short. So I replaced all the knobs on my Keystation with shorter knobs and all is good.

For my modular, I just have a 6 ft x 30” steel table. It is really solid. I drille a couple of holes in the steel cross-brace to anchor a Pomona cable holder. That is good for shorter cables but I need to build a thing for longer cables.
3hands
locust_locust wrote:
I have a Buso Audio desk.
I have no complaints with it:

Nice to see someone else still has love for the Korg Prophecy!
Yodhan
I use 2 solid wood doors across two shorter wire rack shelves, in an L shape. I get plenty of space for very little money.
Rex Coil 7
Yodhan wrote:
I use 2 solid wood doors across two shorter wire rack shelves, in an L shape. I get plenty of space for very little money.
I used to use old doors as table tops for my synth stuff. I used 6ft tall wire rack shelves, placing a shelf on each side at the height that felt most comfortable (usually about 36 inches or so). The wire rack shelves that rose above the door/table were mega handy for other gear. Worked a treat.

But I still like the industrial shelving a lot more. It's easy to bolt various ~stuffs~ to the uprights as well as the overhead beams. One day I hope to add a third shelf set so that I can form a square "U" ... all bolted to one another providing a super stable set up. After all, I live in Earthquake Country.

eek!
locust_locust
3hands wrote:

Nice to see someone else still has love for the Korg Prophecy!

That is very well spotted!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1