My new life in 5u

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

My new life in 5u

Post by plastilina » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:30 am

Image
This is my actually rack can i add for more ambient?.thanks...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 am

With what you have you could do a lot of ambient if you have some external delay and reverb effects (pedals or rack mount etc)

For additions modules consider one or more of the following modules:
LFO
mixer
noise
another VCO
sequencer
wave shaper
ring modulator

So you already have a keyboard and a MIDI to CV/Gate converter? If not consider the Arturia KeyStep keyboard since it's only $120 and has both MIDI and CV/Gate outputs as well as a built in arpeggiator and sequencer! :tu:

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am

JohnLRice wrote:With what you have you could do a lot of ambient if you have some external delay and reverb effects (pedals or rack mount etc)

For additions modules consider one or more of the following modules:
LFO
mixer
noise
another VCO
sequencer
wave shaper
ring modulator

So you already have a keyboard and a MIDI to CV/Gate converter? If not consider the Arturia KeyStep keyboard since it's only $120 and has both MIDI and CV/Gate outputs as well as a built in arpeggiator and sequencer! :tu
I have a Mellotron Micro.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 am

plastilina wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:With what you have you could do a lot of ambient if you have some external delay and reverb effects (pedals or rack mount etc)

For additions modules consider one or more of the following modules:
LFO
mixer
noise
another VCO
sequencer
wave shaper
ring modulator

So you already have a keyboard and a MIDI to CV/Gate converter? If not consider the Arturia KeyStep keyboard since it's only $120 and has both MIDI and CV/Gate outputs as well as a built in arpeggiator and sequencer! :tu
I have a Mellotron Micro.
:tu: It's a great keyboard, I have one and love it. But you still might want to add the Arturia KeyStep since it will give you lots of great features for a very low price.

You could of course add a MIDI to CV module to control your modular from your Mellotron Micro (if you want to do that) but that module will cost a lot more then the KeyStep.

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 pm

You Make me a patch to understand
Something With my module ?.please

User avatar
fac
wig MUffler
Posts: 3592
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Mexico

Post by fac » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 pm

First thing I would suggest would be to add another VCO so you can cross-modulate both VCOs. That will give you a whole new world of textures. Particularly if you're after inharmonic sounds. Maybe look for a VCO that can also oeprate as an LFO (i.e., generate subsonic frequencies).


For extra fun, try running your Mellotron through the modular - either through the filter, or use it as a modulation source for the VCO or VCA. Just experiment!

And yeah, decent delay and reverb are essential for ambient.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 pm

plastilina wrote:You Make me a patch to understand
Something With my module ?.please
Try this:

Image
* Put the Oakley ADSR/VCA in Loop mode and use the ADSR output to both modulat the VCO's wave shape and to also trigger the YuSynth ADSR (you'll need a "Y" cable or a multiples module to send the output to both destinations)

* patch the VCO's output into the VCF and use the output of the YuSynth ADSR to modulate the VCF frequency. Listen to the output of the VCF and wiggle the knobs on all of the modules.

Have fun! :cloud:

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 am

fac wrote:First thing I would suggest would be to add another VCO so you can cross-modulate both VCOs. That will give you a whole new world of textures. Particularly if you're after inharmonic sounds. Maybe look for a VCO that can also oeprate as an LFO (i.e., generate subsonic frequencies).


For extra fun, try running your Mellotron through the modular - either through the filter, or use it as a modulation source for the VCO or VCA. Just experiment!

And yeah, decent delay and reverb are essential for ambient.
Hey, thanks for picking me up.
This Tz - vco module is a good addition.
Then since i’m very beginner, you can tell me how to connect the Mellotron to the modules.
Thank you
Image
Thanks
Last edited by plastilina on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 am

JohnLRice wrote:
plastilina wrote:You Make me a patch to understand
Something With my module ?.please
Try this:

Image
* Put the Oakley ADSR/VCA in Loop mode and use the ADSR output to both modulat the VCO's wave shape and to also trigger the YuSynth ADSR (you'll need a "Y" cable or a multiples module to send the output to both destinations)

* patch the VCO's output into the VCF and use the output of the YuSynth ADSR to modulate the VCF frequency. Listen to the output of the VCF and wiggle the knobs on all of the modules.

Have fun! :cloud:
You want to tell me which cable Y have to take?
Thank you

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 am

any mono 1/4" jack cable splitter.. or 6.35 metric.. (make sure its mono both sides as your signal will be lost 1 side on a stereo connector)

the meletron levels will be too quiet for your modular levels.. will need boosting to be the same volume.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-MONO-Y- ... :rk:7:pf:0

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:28 am

josaka wrote:any mono 1/4" jack cable splitter.. or 6.35 metric.. (make sure its mono both sides as your signal will be lost 1 side on a stereo connector)

the meletron levels will be too quiet for your modular levels.. will need boosting to be the same volume.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-MONO-Y- ... :rk:7:pf:0
I bought the ones you sent me to the link. Thanks

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Tz-vco is good addition?.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 pm

plastilina wrote:Then since i’m very beginner, you can tell me how to connect the Mellotron to the modules.
It depends on what you'd like to do.

If you want to control the pitch of your VCO and fire your envelope generators so you can play a modular mono synth voice from the Mellotron Micro keyboard you'll want a MIDI to CV/Gate module or stand alone box. Consider none of the following:
Moon Modular 551 http://www.lunar-experience.com/download/551.pdf
Oakley Sound midiDAC http://www.oakleysound.com/mididac.htm
Kenton Pro Solo Mk3 https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items ... solo.shtml

If you want to process the Micro's audio through a filter module for instance, it may be too weak of a signal to work like josaka said, but it could work OK too. Just try it and see. :tu: Patch the Micro audio out into the filter's input and listen to the filter's output. Try modulating the filter with a VCO/LFO etc. If you do get a MIDI to CV/Gate device you can then fire an envelope generator to modulate the filter. Or use a VCA to change the attack and decay of the Mellotron's audio. If the main audio out is too weak try using the headphone output? (You'd need a special stereo splitter or insert cable to do this, don't use a standard mono TS patch cable!) Or you can get a module to help bring up the level of the main audio out like this Analog Craftsman module:
http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=4x- ... escription
or you could just get an Envelope Follower module which can be used to boost the signal as well as give you gates (gates based on if there is volume present so playing single staccato notes should work as expected but playing legato or chords might give unexpected results)
http://www.oakleysound.com/follower.htm


Here is a video demo where I plugged the output of my Mellotron Micro directly into a Strymon Magneto delay module and it worked well:
[video][/video]

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 am

Tz-vco is good addition?.
it is a great module...
its really a question of space and priorities.. the TZ vco us quite a complex module to get the best out of.. if your cab is the size of your mock up I would suggest another 1U VCO(or even 2!! in the same space).. (I have 2 krisp TZ but a bigger cab ! :) )

also midi.. I recently decided to abandon midi inside my modular altogether
(I am selling a .com midi set Q174/Q175 :) )
alternatively there are a bunch of cheap midi/cv boxes(half price of modules).. a Korg SQ1 gives you 2 midi/CV channels + a simple sequencer and is used by pros and begginers alike its a real no brainer for the cost..especially to get up and going... for more advanced I recommend the CV.OCD..(up to 4 note poly can be configured anyhow) also only $125
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk1 ... to-cv-box/
....have a think and see what direction you plan to go. keep in mind you will change your mind every few days after you discover what certain modules do :) ...

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:45 am

Thank you for your kindness...
I spent the night playing with my four modules last night.
Tz - vco has advised me since mine is a small system. What do I add?
Oakley VRG is good for my setup?.
P.S. John I've seen all your videos are fantastic.
P.S. Josaka the CV.OCD is hard to configure?

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:29 pm

CV.OCD is not hard to config..
go to config web page.. configure how you want.. save as sysex file..
on your computer install a sysex loader(free on web) put your file in the sysex loader.. follow the manual(procedure) to load the sysex file into CV.OCD..

the standard setting it comes with would be more than enough for now..
2cv/gate velocity-a cc(filter?) and a bunch of different triggers..

as far as modules.. watch loads of youtube videos.. try to learn what a range of modules do.. and why you might need them..you will need 'utility' modules..
a mixer? a VCA an LFO?
you really need to work out the sounds you are after before buying..
there are a lot of good folk here who will help.

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:45 am

I'm looking for a vco or a lfo to add to my setup.
I trust you who are experts.

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:04 am

what sounds are you after..?
then folk can point you at what you will need.

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 am

At the beginning of the post, I said I was looking for a module to get more ambient.

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 am

Ambient is quite a wide genre.. :)
got any examples..?
berlin? drone? blippy?

using your oakley adsr loop function you can get started at least.. I would say a sequencer is the priority.. also more of those splitter cables (to use two outs of your VCO) maybe an oakley dual LFO.. and a second VCO..
Last edited by josaka on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 am

:doh: Drone or Berlin is the way...

User avatar
josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am
Location: london

Post by josaka » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 am

Berlin is normally a poly for the strings and a couple(at least) of osc doing the bass 16s:) ..you are starting to get into a few other modules.. a mixer for instance :)


so.. 2 VCO (at least :) more the merrier) 2xADSR (the oakley has a VCA output!) an LFO- A filter a sequencer and a mixer.. this is a standard set up..
..but there are many ways you can go.. this is the beauty of modular .

A mixerless 2 osc system..
[video][/video]

[video][/video]

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:57 am

josaka wrote:Berlin is normally a poly for the strings and a couple(at least) of osc doing the bass 16s:) ..you are starting to get into a few other modules.. a mixer for instance :)


so.. 2 VCO (at least :) more the merrier) 2xADSR (the oakley has a VCA output!) an LFO- A filter a sequencer and a mixer.. this is a standard set up..
..but there are many ways you can go.. this is the beauty of modular .

A mixerless 2 osc system..
[video][/video]

[video][/video]
Now my system is this....
Image

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:06 am

For My little system oakley VRG is a good add for me?
Or dual LFO?

User avatar
plastilina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 am
Location: Italy

Post by plastilina » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 am

Hey good Morning.
This is my actually little system
Image
Can i add now?
I have only mellotron and akay rythm wolf
First I get a keystep and then another module or I take a vco or a Oakley VRG or other?
Advice me and sorry for disturb

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”