MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What paint for MU panels?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author What paint for MU panels?
Chrutil
I have a place where I laser etch blank DotCom panels.
These are standard aluminum panels with black paint that gets burnt off by the laser.
Recently they have been asking ‘what kind of paint is it?’ because allegedly some paints are toxic when burnt off.
I asked DotCom but they said it was a trade secret.
So in order to keep doing this I need to figure out what kind of paint this is.
Anyone knows? Or at least a swag?

Edit: just to clarify, I mean the black background paint, not the silk screen paint.

TIA
Eric the Red
Flareless, who posts frequently in the 5U section might know this. He makes custom Dotcom style panels.
JohnLRice
I don't know what the paint is but check out this thread about someone who is making anodized panels and sounds flexible in regards to providing blanks and custom orders:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200830
Flareless
Eric the Red wrote:
Flareless, who posts frequently in the 5U section might know this. He makes custom Dotcom style panels.

Sorry, I don't know what they use for the background paint.
guitarfool
I thought they were powder-coated, not painted. But that doesn't narrow it down much.
Chrutil
Thanks all!!
I guess at this point I will have to just come up with something that sounds feasible, so that I can continue etching panels...
It's not like etching some text and lines off a couple of panels will have any kind of environmental impact, but rules are rules so just have to come up with something.
I don't know enough about paint (or powder coat, for that matter) to even give a guess. It's not anodized, right? Any takers for a reasonable answer?

Thanks!
megaohm
Chrutil wrote:
Thanks all!!
I guess at this point I will have to just come up with something that sounds feasible, so that I can continue etching panels...
It's not like etching some text and lines off a couple of panels will have any kind of environmental impact, but rules are rules so just have to come up with something.
I don't know enough about paint (or powder coat, for that matter) to even give a guess. It's not anodized, right? Any takers for a reasonable answer?

Thanks!

Not sure what the coating is.
It looks/feels like a plastic coating rather than paint.
For laser etching you would be better off with anodized. You will get sharper detail and crisper lines.
I know of re:synthesis and tardishead who do panels like this so may be best to buy from them.
Huba-Swift
They're definitely powder coated. I'm sure of that. I own one of Analog Craftsman's modules and it looks as if it may also be powder coated. I can't say for sure but it's very similar to Dotcom panels. It could be worth a shot sending them a message. http://analogcraftsman.com/?page_id=86
EATyourGUITAR
Has anyone contacted re:synthesis?

http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/resynthesis/resynthesis_home.htm

Have you done any reading to see what it could possibly be?

http://www.warnercustom.com/powder-coating/types-of-powders.aspx

Do you want to pay a lab for Mass spectrometry?

See how long his trade secret lasts. PaulTS said it best... something like, everything a manufacturer does to prevent reverse engineering, ultimately does not prevent reverse engineering. People will find a way if your samples are in production and you sell to random people on the internet.

I am not a lawyer but I would guess that the information obtained from Mass spectrometry paid for by you is yours and is public information if you publish it. If you obtain a sample fraudulently or under fraudulent pretenses then you absolutely can not possibly lawfully do mass spectrometry. You paid for your .com and there is no end user license agreement that I know of. There are cheaper alternatives to mass spectrometry but the results may be inconclusive or conclusive depending on what the sample is made of.
Chrutil
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

Do you want to pay a lab for Mass spectrometry?

See how long his trade secret lasts. PaulTS said it best... something like, everything a manufacturer does to prevent reverse engineering, ultimately does not prevent reverse engineering.

Good Lord, no!
The whole reason for this question is that I have a place where I can laser etch panels for free, and in order to continue doing so I need to be able to answer the question whether or not the paint is toxic when etched.
Maybe I should just say that it is anodized, which I know is ok.
krisp14u
If its a high power laser get anodized panels really Nice finish
I have been trying this out for one offs but my laser is just too weak sad banana
EATyourGUITAR
to test for nylon, polyester, epoxy, polyurethane: you can expose them to cheap off the shelf chemicals one at a time on a test panel. use the chemistry compatibility charts like this one to see what solvents will etch into what plastics. probably stuff like alcohols and fuels, common solvents would be best to avoid all kinds of dangerous unnecessary chemicals. you can reverse engineer what kind of plastic it is for under $100. always use proper safety procedures and proper disposal.

https://www.calpaclab.com/nylon-chemical-compatibility-chart/

http://www.epoxyworktops.com/epoxy-resin/chem-resistance.html
JohnLRice
Chrutil wrote:
The whole reason for this question is that I have a place where I can laser etch panels for free, and in order to continue doing so I need to be able to answer the question whether or not the paint is toxic when etched.
Maybe I should just say that it is anodized, which I know is ok.
eek! Whoa, absolutely don't falsify information, unless you want to be responsible for causing illnesses and lawsuits! Just get anodized panels from one of several vendors or if you already have a stack of DotCom panels stick to silk screening or engraving them until you run out (or sell them) and then buy anodized and continue on with etching.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1