MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Ordering Closed] Gene Model I Drum Synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author [Ordering Closed] Gene Model I Drum Synth
snercle
UPDATE 1st April 2019:
Ordering CLOSED. That's it! Thanks w00t
April 10th: All Pre-orders shipped (may ship earlier if ordered early)

(All sounds = Gene Model I + Copicat tape echo)

UPDATE 8th March 2019:
Check the build thread that aabbcc started
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214470
UPDATE 28th Feb 2019:

UPDATE 20th Feb 2019: First batch sold out. Thanks everyone!
UPDATE 14th Feb 2019: Part 2 of the walk-through wink

UPDATE 12th Feb 2019: Added BOM to comments (page 3) BOOM!
UPDATE 10th Feb 2019: PCB front panels:

They sell the enclosure in black too. (If you still want the natural metal panel, I could do it but it would be many times the price of the pcb one.)

PRICING:

All circuitry PCBs needed to build Gene Model I + 3 Expander card PCBs: 125 GBP
Front panel PCB + All circuitry PCBs needed to build Gene Model I + 3 Expander card PCBs: 145 GBP
Additional Expander card PCBs (Each): 20 GBP

All pcbs will come with build guide and diagrams.

Shipping will be added, and will depend on where you are, but the cost shouldn't be too high as the pcbs+panel will fit in a relatively small parcel.

I can't provide other parts because I don't have enough time at the moment to order and sort all the components into kits. It is something I'd like to do in the future though.

- Full accurate BOM will be posted here on the 12th Feb. EDIT: posted a BOM in the comments tonight, it's 99% there, I need to double check it!
- On 15th Feb I'll order appropriate amount of PCBs+panels and I can start taking any pre-orders.
- By 25th Feb PCBs+panels will be ready to send to buyers and I'll begin taking instant orders (until batch runs out).

HARD(ish) TO FIND PARTS:

male headers for connecting top and bottom internal pcbs: 25mm long 2.54mm pitch straight pin headers (2x 17pin double row - you can cut the amount of pins to size and/or use single row side by side) (the female headers are easier to find 12pin types)

expander card sockets: 2x 3.96mm pitch 24pin card edge socket (sometimes listed as 805 series, or commodore 64)

ring modulator ic: 1x ad633jnz four-quadrant multiplier ic (buy from a reputable source, there are fakes on ebay, in my experience if it's less than £10 it's often fake or faulty unfortunately)

transistors for expander cards: 2n3053 (they look nice! and I designed the cards for these so if using other types, resistor values may need adjusting)

electrolytic caps for expander cards: AXIAL, 12mm or less long, 5mm or less wide, 1uf, 2.2uf, 4.7uf, 10uf (depends on which cards)

transformer: dual primary 120vac , dual secondary 12vac , rated 12va , chassis mount
(or you can bypass the power supply altogether and wire your own +/- 12v dc power straight in, i will need to check minimum ratings)

enclosure: hammond 1550n(natural) or 1550nbk(black) (i bought from rapid, but their stock is low, digikey have 1550wn and 1550wnbk - which appear to be the same product - in better quanities, other suppliers seem to stock 1550n and 1550wn variants too)

UPDATE 8th Feb 2019:

Here's the first part of the features walk through vids, "Basic Sequencing":
(Note: the synthesis settings are left in their basic positions for this video, the more interesting sounds will be explored in the next instalments)

UPDATE 7th Feb 2019:

Here are some pics of the inside and the PCBs as requested. (The walk thru video is rendering - slowly - may have to upload this weekend)

Bottom left image is of the PCBs needed for the build, plus two expander cards. The idea would be to do that for 100 GBP with the build guide, BOM etc included. Send an email to genesynths@gmail.com if interested, this will help me work out what level of interest there is for this hmmm.....

END OF UPDATES

[ I decided to start a new topic, as the previous incarnations of Gene were very different machines, and this is the first model I will put into production.
You can see the history of its development here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179501 ]

Gene Model I is an all-analog drum synthesizer and rhythm composer, designed and handbuilt in the UK by me - Sam Eastgate (Songwriter and Producer: LA Priest, Soft Hair, Late of the Pier).

The Sequencer uses a completely unique design, - it's capable of creating rhythms in nearly any time signature, as well as some which escape definition - because it has infinite resolution, that is, each step is able to be individually shifted to any point in the loop via it's own swing control. In the default position (ccw) the steps follow a standard 4/4 time signature. 8 or 16 steps switchable (Upper 8 / Lower 8 / 16)

The 4 Synthesis Channels comprise of:

- Bass Drum generator (with controls for Decay 150ms-infinite, Frequency 55hz-200hz, Frequency Decay 8ms-360ms, Attack volume)
- Snare Drum Generator (an additive generator with controls for 160hz, 320hz, 420hz, Shaker [Snare] generator)
- Lo Conga generator (with decay control)
- Hi Conga Generator (with decay control)
- 2x Expander Card ports for a potentially infinite amount of additional sounds.

Available Expander Cards (so far):

- HH-01 Hihat (Although the Model I's built in Shaker generator provides a good stand in for a hihat, this one offers decay and frequency controls and gives a classic analog hat sound)
- SD-01 Snare (A different snare synthesis method: Noise Generator, Bandpass filter, Shell generator, Envelope generator and VCA all on one board)
- ZP-01 Zap (Good source of electro zaps and some quite organic wood percussion -ish sounds too)
- CK-01 Crackle (Somewhere between a Finger click, a Clap and the sound you would hear if you sat on a large packet of crisps)
- BG-01 Bongo (a two transistor bongo generator! with two tunable overtones)

Other Features:

- 4 Channel Stereo mixer
- Ring modulator / Frequency shift generator with voltage control
- Envelope generator for voltage control of effects, triggered by sequencer
- Sequencer can combine patterns
- More stuff!

- Dimensions: 25x25x11 cm, Weight: ~2.5kg, Power: AC 110 / 220 ( US / UK etc )

The Sound:
Designed with an emphasis on sonic warmth, rhymthmic freedom and a little bit of useful volatility, it doesn't sound like anything else, and sometimes has it's own ideas about the kind of music you want to end up making.

Here's a clip from one of it's more well behaved recording sessions (with an uncommon time signature):

Here are some sounds you can get when using the Exp Cards (pretty sure I ran these experiments through a compressor, but no other effects added):

[s]https://soundcloud.com/raveblaster/gene-drums-demo-1[/s]

Inputs / Outputs:

Standard outputs: "DI" the clean mix (Left), "RM" the ring modulated or pitch shifted mix (Right) and "+" the combined mix of both signals (Mono).

Other options:
- Individual outs for each of the four drum channels
- Individual trigger inputs for each of the four drum channels
- Clock in (Rising Sawtooth, amplitude may need to be fine tuned if coming from equipment other than a Gene Model I)
- Clock out (Rising Sawtooth - any number of Model I's can be linked to run together)
- All triggers out (sends a trigger pulse for each step, regardless of pattern settings, so can be used as a standard analog clock source)
- Ring Modulator external audio input
- Other options available

Finished Model I and DIY options available. Only a limited number (max. 100) will be made by myself.

There's an endless amount of other information about this machine that I'll get around to typing soon. I'm also working on a feature and sound walk through video.

For now, I hope this works as a proper introduction to Gene and the Model I.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and asked questions, and please keep doing so!
djs
How does the sequencer work- is it analog based too, or is there something digital driving it in the back end?

I'm assuming there isn't a DIY option for it?
BugBrand
Good stuff you're doing!
Interested to hear more - just checked some of the vids on the original thread - some pretty wonderful sounds!
Bjarne
But if this is no longer a DIY project I guess it doesn’t belong to this part of the forum anymore, or am I missing something?

djs wrote:

snercle
djs wrote:
How does the sequencer work- is it analog based too, or is there something digital driving it in the back end?

I can confirm that everything is analog, the ring modulator, the sequencer, all analog. (Also no surface mount parts - I always think thru - hole sound better.)

And yes I will provide a DIY option, though it's quite a lengthy process with some advanced level work involved thumbs up
DMR
Great panel graphics. I like how the snare is a bit different from the standard drum machine snare.
djs
snercle wrote:
And yes I will provide a DIY option, though it's quite a lengthy process with some advanced level work involved thumbs up

Word- any idea on availability? does it use any weird rare parts, or "advanced" means "you better know what you're doing with an oscilloscope"
snercle
Yes - PCBs at end of Feb, first batch of finished available end of March.

Because of being a musician half the time as well, I can't dedicate enough time to support very many people with build troubleshooting etc, I'll answer as many questions as I can of course, but I'd prefer if not too many got stuck trying to build it. So my advice will be for experienced DIYers to build it only.

I'll provide clear instructions but there may be things that take a bit of experience to know how to do correctly. There are a couple of rare parts, but there are work arounds if those become unavailable.

No oscilloscope required for build - but it may be useful for calibration - though I recommend doing it by ear, it's that kind of machine wink

djs wrote:
snercle wrote:

Word- any idea on availability? does it use any weird rare parts, or "advanced" means "you better know what you're doing with an oscilloscope"
MapacheRaper
Interested.

DFAM, the SOMA new creature and this seems like a new generation/concept of drummachines, finally, because the classic 808 step sequencer can´t get more boring.
djs
snercle wrote:
Yes - PCBs at end of Feb

Estimated cost on these?

If it's all analog and has a full schematic, I think people as a group on the forum can figure out the bugs, so they don't kill you with questions smile
BananaPlug
Very appealing! I think I need an explainer though. Keep it coming.
Revok
Liking these new demos. Does the final iteration still get into these sounds as well?

Bjarne
Super thumbs up

snercle wrote:

hox3d
Whoa.

Following.
mrtweed
looks cool. second the question on a rough cost please!
djs
BananaPlug wrote:
Very appealing! I think I need an explainer though. Keep it coming.

Based on what i'm seeing, it looks similar to the drum machine on the mutable anushri, but way more "wild" smile
SoundPool
love the very acoustic pinging type sounds, which of the voices are producing them? this is the first DIY drum options other than the Rollz 5 that I have found particularly interesting. keen to see where the DIY possibilities go.
Paranormal Patroler
I'd also like to know the price. I'm definitely interested to know if you plan on offering kits as well or at least if a BOM will come along with the PCBs.

Definitely snagging one, mostly because I like the concept behind the sequencer. Care to explain it in more detail?

About the options: is there any chance the clock in/out are standardized? Will it work with Euro levels?

The size seems to have increased compared to some of the previous versions ... hmmm.....
snercle
Been filming a walk through / explainer video of the machine today, will probably be able to upload that tomorrow (Re: sequencer, I did a good run through of the sequencer functionality, that should explain it best)

Will also upload some shots of the insides

I would roughly say that I'll do the pcbs for £100 for all needed for the whole instrument + throw in two expander card pcbs. Whole BOM, build guide, schem and front panel build guide will also be included.

After that, additional expander card pcbs would be about £20 each

The built, calibrated and finished unit will have an early price around £950, finished cards would be around £40

The clock in/out is a sawtooth which cycles once per bar, at an amplitude of roughly 10v peak to peak. It's pretty essential to the flexibility of the sequencer, standardising it would be complicated without taking away the character. It may be possible to quantise it digitally for midi though

It should otherwise communicate well with euro equipment as it runs on +/-12v. The trigger inputs for example will take anything from a few mV up to +12v. There is actually some cool amplitude difference along that range too, so you can do accents etc.

The size is bigger than the last one but smaller than all the others razz
On the last one (another user posted the vid above) I wanted to see how much I could shrink it down. It worked ok but I needed more space for a decent power supply, lots of inputs and outputs, and the card slots. Also it is capable of all the sounds from the previous versions yeah!

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'd also like to know the price. I'm definitely interested to know if you plan on offering kits as well or at least if a BOM will come along with the PCBs.

Definitely snagging one, mostly because I like the concept behind the sequencer. Care to explain it in more detail?

About the options: is there any chance the clock in/out are standardized? Will it work with Euro levels?

The size seems to have increased compared to some of the previous versions ... hmmm.....
drox
following. nice work!
Revok
snercle wrote:
Also it is capable of all the sounds from the previous versions yeah!

nanners
letness
Looks and sounds fantastic. Following with much interest.
Paranormal Patroler
snercle wrote:
The size is bigger than the last one but smaller than all the others razz
On the last one (another user posted the vid above) I wanted to see how much I could shrink it down. It worked ok but I needed more space for a decent power supply, lots of inputs and outputs, and the card slots.

I'm biased as I'd prefer the smaller sized box, but that being said I have to point out that it's worth looking into power regulations before you submit to an internal power supply. In my experience with manufacturing, however small it may be, one of the best reasons I've heard for opting for external power source is to avoid regulation issues. If you plan on shipping to other countries it's worth investigating whether this can cause an issue for you.

I might be wrong on this, but I did have a similar discussion with a manufacturer in which I insisted that an internal power source would be optimal and he pointed out that an external one would mean we wouldn't have to go through all kinds of tests for power adherence to various regulations.

Someone more knowledgeable on the subject could comment. Maybe the DIY offering won't have such a problem.
BugBrand
snercle wrote:
The clock in/out is a sawtooth which cycles once per bar, at an amplitude of roughly 10v peak to peak. It's pretty essential to the flexibility of the sequencer, standardising it would be complicated without taking away the character.

That's a different and interesting way to do it - so guess you have a string of comparators that selects which stage is active? And perhaps you can use other waveforms? Thinking a triangle would lead to ping-pong pattern?

Clearly a different approach to the more usual clock pulses to advance steps (though a CMOS divider with R-2-R could potentially provide a stepped 'saw like' wave that might work clocked from regular clock pulses) . I wonder if the 10V amplitude and any offset (presume the Saw is going 0V to +10V) might sometimes call for a little conditioning of any external clocking signal - but not impossible.

Think I read that you're up in the north of Powys? If you were more southerly I'd be interested to hook up and chat - would be interested to see & hear more about your designs and I've got some experience with designing & building machines. [Might well sometime be heading up to the north of Wales in my camper once Spring arrives]

Curious to see pics of the case and I/O of this machine.
And panel close up --- what's the two horizontal slots near the top of the panel?
Paranormal Patroler
BugBrand wrote:
Curious to see pics of the case and I/O of this machine.
And panel close up --- what's the two horizontal slots near the top of the panel?

Those are the card slots if I'm not mistaken.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4