MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Octatrack with Yamaha TX81z - Midi data error?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Octatrack with Yamaha TX81z - Midi data error?
MatttheKat
Hi,

I recently got a TX81z off of ebay to use with my Octatrack and get sweet FM bells going through the arp. All started off well but about the second day of use the TX81z started to "freeze" notes or note trigger them entirely for a few cycles then start playing them again. Occasionally I would have to switch the unit off and back on to get it to receive midi data again. The message "MIDI DATA ERROR!" would show up on the screen of the TX81Z occasionally while this was happening. I ended up unplugging the midi cable from the back of the unit and plugging back in and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I had to do that twice and the after the second time, I have been running with no issue. I have read about the midi buffer issues with the TX81z but this seemed different since it would get the error from very little midi messages being sent(like 1 or 2 trigs). I could not find any info on this issue in my searches. Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Is this an Octatrack issue or a TX81z issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DiscoDevil
the TX might not be up to the job of handling all the midi data the Octa is putting out. Maybe you need a midi filter in between? Do you have another sequencer or midi controller you can use with the TX to test it?
acidbob
I used to have the same setup except I was using a Machinedrum, and had two Yamaha's and I only ever saw this error when I accidentality bumped a midi CC knob, in the CC page. Have you upgraded the TX81z to the latest firmware, I was running 1,6 on both units.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TX81Z-OS-v1-6-EPROM-Firmware-Upgrade-K IT-/282929711998

I would try with another midi cable and make sure the contacts on the TX81z are clean, spray in some contact cleaner and pull the plug in and out.

Is the battery still good?

Try this program and filter out if you have any unwanted msg.
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
http://www.midiox.com/

If you are running the Octa through a splitter, make sure it is buffered (Active) With battery or power inlet.
CF3
DiscoDevil wrote:
the TX might not be up to the job of handling all the midi data the Octa is putting out. Maybe you need a midi filter in between? Do you have another sequencer or midi controller you can use with the TX to test it?

THIS. The TX81z is infamous for getting locked up. It really can't handle a bunch of MIDI data being sent to it at one time. Disable as much information as possible. Even with the newer OS, its still gonna happen if you throw too much at it. It needs to be on its own buss too (no chaining). Just MIDI data passing thru it will make it lock up. Ive had a bunch of TX81z's and every single one has acted like this.
powertran
I always reset mine before use, or after I get that same message.

If you don't already do this:

1. Power on with both the cursor keys depressed
2. Press the Inc button to confirm system test (un-depress the cursor keys now)
3. Press the keys one at a time L-R until you've all pressed all the keys on the front panel (you'll be prompted after each key for the next).

It should finish displaying one of the midi instruments

Press Utility and use the Inc and Dec and cursor keys to set your midi channels etc.
DanielW
I get the "Midi data error" message if I switch on my Octatrack mk 1 before the TX81Z. But never when I run the sequencer. I've always thought it just doesn't like receiving clock while booting up.

MatttheKat wrote:
Hi,

I recently got a TX81z off of ebay to use with my Octatrack and get sweet FM bells going through the arp. All started off well but about the second day of use the TX81z started to "freeze" notes or note trigger them entirely for a few cycles then start playing them again. Occasionally I would have to switch the unit off and back on to get it to receive midi data again. The message "MIDI DATA ERROR!" would show up on the screen of the TX81Z occasionally while this was happening. I ended up unplugging the midi cable from the back of the unit and plugging back in and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I had to do that twice and the after the second time, I have been running with no issue. I have read about the midi buffer issues with the TX81z but this seemed different since it would get the error from very little midi messages being sent(like 1 or 2 trigs). I could not find any info on this issue in my searches. Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Is this an Octatrack issue or a TX81z issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MatttheKat
Thanks everyone for the responses! I am going to do a bunch of testing and try the stuff mentioned to narrow it down further. I will post if I find a cause or solution!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1